• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Actually the morons IMO are the people who spend hundreds extra on a bit of noise and temperature reduction and maybe some fancy lights.

How about we dont call anyone morons?

Let's face it, were all insane paying this much for a little rectangle that allows us to play games. The real geniuses are the console gamers.

Soldato
How about we dont call anyone morons?

Let's face it, were all insane paying this much for a little rectangle that allows us to play games. The real geniuses are the console gamers.

Fair enough. I have what he would call a moron card in my SFF case. Absolutely no need for me to spend an extra £80 when noise doesn’t bother me one bit, even when the headphones aren’t on.

Soldato
2080ti was launched same time as 2080, within a week. And announced at launch. I bought the 2080ti with confidence it wasn't going to be superseded. I hope I can do the same this gen.

Ok. I was speaking in general terms not to you personally but it read thay way, the supers were added later which Is what I was referring to. They didn't supercede the 2080ti, they might well do with the 3090 even if they were to tell you otherwise. Companies are utterly shameless these days as we know.

Associate
Ok. I was speaking in general terms not to you personally but it read thay way, the supers were added later which Is what I was referring to. They didn't supercede the 2080ti, they might well do with the 3090 even if they were to tell you otherwise. Companies are utterly shameless these days as we know.
Yes they are, agreed.
A friend bought 2x 980's when they launched, only for the TIs to release a few months later. I didn't want to be in a similar boat. They didn't seem to do that for the 2080TI's, so I hope its the same for the next gen. I suspect there will always be refreshes in the mid pack, bridging the gaps between cards more. It's just the top end I hope they don't do it for.

Soldato
Yes they are, agreed.
A friend bought 2x 980's when they launched, only for the TIs to release a few months later. I didn't want to be in a similar boat. They didn't seem to do that for the 2080TI's, so I hope its the same for the next gen. I suspect there will always be refreshes in the mid pack, bridging the gaps between cards more. It's just the top end I hope they don't do it for.

No real way of knowing in advance, I suspect this time they may supercede the 3090 depending on what AMD can come up with.

Soldato
If AMD can sprinkle even a little Ryzen magic dust on to RDNA2 then they might be able to deliver something significant.

But Nvidia are not Intel. They have not been getting complacent and resting on their laurels. They have more gas in the tank if they need to raise the stakes should AMD deliver a challenge in the market.
Actually that's where your wrong, Turing 1 was a very complacent release which delivered very little if any performance uplift at each price point.

Also looking at the power usage of these cards I would say there is very little left in the tank if AMD do knock it out the park.

bru

bru

Soldato
OK currant pricing.

RTX Titan $2499
RTX2080 Super $699
RTX2070 Super $499
RTX2060 Super $399

Launch pricing.

RTX Titan $2499
RTX2080ti $1199
RTX2080 $799
RTX2070 $599
RTX2060 $349

Non founders MSRP was about $100 cheaper.

Things to remember, the 3080 has more memory than the card it is replacing (the 8 GB 2080 super)
NVidia have pulled a bit of a blinder, by getting rid of the Titan and renaming it to the 3090. Many more people will now buy one. (of course they may still release a titan latter on and I fully expect a 3080ti latter)

Soldato
I don't think that's what they done, they have just moved the halo card from 80ti to 90, and increased the price by i'm guessing £300.

The Titan was never really part of the traditional stack is was an outlier, and as you say it can come, but at 2.5-3k, and there's always room for tons of re-milks up and down the stack as people are made to feel stupid for buying a great card a few months earlier, which has now been superceded.

Back
Top Bottom