Electric Patio Heaters

Soldato
I was surprised it wasn't more to be honest as when I went to pay and said contactless he said it's under a tenner, this was from FloGas depot as well, told him to keep the change :D

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Obviously an error rather than a real price mate :) The usual price is around £25-30 for a 13KG refill of propane.

Quick google as i was thinking why am i paying this much ( :p); Wholesale 13KG is nearly 7USGAL which at around $2/gal is getting on for $14 as a bulk commodity on the markets(!)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
If asking me as I mentioned that I recently bought one, I have sockets outside everywhere that you’d want to plug anything in. It’s very easy to add them non intrusively if you don’t have them, just use locations with interior sockets and go through the wall behind them.

Soldato
aye that sounds good. we have 2.5 Armour cable running up to our decking with outside sockets to power our hot tub. we looked at using an electric heater but with the combination of the heater and the hot tub the cable wasn't strong enough to run both.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Ah, well, very easy to add some. Screwfix sell the IP rated sockets and you dont need to worry about armoured cable etc if just going through the wall behind an interior one :)

As with 99% of works these days this isnt notifiable either so no worries there.

Don
OP
installed electric heater today, all done properly with conduit etc

2.5Kw futura heater

unless I'm missing something I have wasted a load of time and money, heat range of heater on full is about 1m so ended up with gas one on again

hope I have done something wrong, if I've put sop much time in for what I have now I will be annoyed

Soldato
Have you tried wearing more clothes, or a blanket?

I find the idea of burning 2.5kw to heat the outdoors utterly baffling to be honest :confused:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
1m range sounds a little short but about right Rotty and is about where your expectation of a 2.5kw lamp should be. You need to position it above the table or seating, if I put mine next to the table facing down, the heat is strong for everyone sat at the table, too much at the side of the heater if anything.

if you need to heat multiple spots then you’ll need multiple heaters, they are cheap enough to run and non intrusive that you can easily do that if you wanted to.

If your expectation is to heat a large area like a blanket then you’ll need a lot of power, which will burn a lot of gas. The gas ones in perspective can be 20kw or more...

Soldato
To piggyback off this thread

This is the layout I've got in my patio. Two chairs, table and a two seat bench, unfortunately I can't wall mount my patio heater so I'm planning on getting a stand.

Would one 2.5kw heater be enough? It seems from what Rotty is saying he can barely heat his area so I'm thinking I'll need one either side of the table to radiate heat to cover 4 people.

Last edited:
Don
OP
To piggyback off this thread

This is the layout I've got in my patio. Two chairs, table and a two seat bench, unfortunately I can't wall mount my patio heater so I'm planning on getting a stand.

Would one 2.5kw heater be enough? It seems from what Rotty is saying he can barely heat his area so I'm thinking I'll need one either side of the table to radiate heat to cover 4 people.

my area is a bit bigger but we sometimes use the electric and a portable gas one, I think you will need 2 but just get 1, see how you go and get another if needed

Back
Top Bottom