Engagement questions

Soldato
1) Assuming you asked her Dad for his blessing, how did you go about this?

2) In terms of the proportion of gross annual salary at the time, how much was the ring?

3) How did you propose?

Soldato
1. She'd already made it clear that she'd see such a thing as quite insulting to her.

2. Don't know. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't the most expensive either, I bought one that I liked and thought she would too, not a regular engagement ring.

3. Around 2am after finishing a night shift. That's not what she'd tell her friends, but that story can be whatever she fancies it being at the time, I suspect it gets more ludicrously extravagant every time :D.

Don't get pushed into social norms (unless it's important to her) and splurge a fortune needlessly. We also had a small wedding with 14 people, about 12 too many (need witnesses), her dress was bought in a regular clothes store, it was white and looked nice, cost about £30 I believe.

Associate
1 - He was watching sky sports, sat down with him and during the match we somehow came around to the important conversation.
2 - Oh... hmm It was about about 2k I think. Not a great percentage of my salary at the time but I figured it was a one off purchase.
3 - I proposed in a hotel in the room after an evening meal watching a movie. Nothing dramatic outside the Bellagio fountain in Las Vegas - somewhere near shrewsbury I think.

I'm noticing the telly theme...

Soldato
1 - my dad invited my mother and father in law round on the pretence of something else and I showed my father in law some photos on the PC then asked if I could marry his daughter. He replied with 'which one?'

2 - At the time it was over a month worth but it wasn't that expensive. I proposed with my grandmother's old ring but it didn't fit so we went and chose one. She was looking at very cheap ones and I upped the ante. Not an expensive model here.

3 - I was visiting her in uni (long distance relationship) and took her to the top of Liverpool cathedral where I asked her. She was a bit annoyed i woke her up early and was like we have all day but I was excited and nervous so rushed to get there. She'd pretty much guessed and we'd had a conversation before about it so it wasn't a massive surprise.

Married 6 years now.

Soldato
1) Assuming you asked her Dad for his blessing, how did you go about this? I asked him when he was drunk, because he rarely talks otherwise; he might have been too drunk because he still doesn't remember that I did it.

2) In terms of the proportion of gross annual salary at the time, how much was the ring? It was one twelfth of gross annual salary (1 month's wages).

3) How did you propose? I booked a surprise holiday to New York (her favourite place) went shopping and took her on a little detour to the Cop Cot in Central Park. One knee, ring in hand, etc.

Last edited:
Commissario
1) No, I didn't.
2) About £60. She chose it and is still very happy with it.
3) We were on holiday, we'd been together for three months. I said "do you fancy getting married?". She said yes and then the following morning asked me if I remembered what I'd asked her. We'd both had a few bevvies. This was nearly thirty years ago.

People who spend crazy amounts of money on their engagement rings have been caught out by the De Beers diamond cartel and their money grabbing adverts. They invented the 'tradition'.

Man of Honour
1) Id been with my now wife for 10 years at that point and we had already lived together, bought a property together and I was constantly getting asked when it was going to happen.
2) 2 months salary went on the ring.
3) Came home from work late one evening with a ring.

Associate
1) I just asked her parents if I could go over for a quick chat one night after work (so they probably twigged on from that), just got straight to to the point and said I was planning to pop the question and knew that the Mrs would want me to ask you first. They were very supportive about it and just asked if I had a plan for doing it etc.

2) The ring was the hardest part for me as she gave me absolutely zero indication of what she liked in the months leading up to it. We had both spoken about getting married and it was pretty much agreed we would be doing it at some point (plenty of hints dropped form her and her friends). I tried to get her sister in on the act to give me some ideas, but she wouldn't even go looking at them on their usual shopping trips. I eventually just flat out asked her to help me choose a ring for her, tbh we're both happy we did it that way as she found exactly what she wanted and it saved having to run around getting it resized etc. It ended up being less than a months salary, but be wary as they can get pretty extortionate very quickly.

3) I planned a nice getaway to the lakes in one of those spa hotels with the intention of doing it during a scenic walk or a nice dinner, but then though sod it and caught her off guard a night or two before we went. She'd been at a friend's house so I got a load of candles, lit a path of them leading down the hallway and then spread them out in the living room to make it nice. I was waiting for her when she came in and popped the question there and then. Was miles better as I was comfortable, had time to plan what I was going to do/say, it caught her by surprise and we both didn't brick the whole weekend away anticipating the question.

Now we just need to get the wedding sorted, but she's just as hard work trying to get ideas for that too :D

Soldato
OP
Some interesting stories above for sure :D Her family is quite traditional in that sense and so I'd have to ask her Dad, even if it is old fashioned now. Her sister's husband had to do it and so I'm going to need to as well.

I'm obviously looking for ideas in preparation for my own proposal so keep them coming...

Don't get pushed into social norms (unless it's important to her) and splurge a fortune needlessly. We also had a small wedding with 14 people, about 12 too many (need witnesses), her dress was bought in a regular clothes store, it was white and looked nice, cost about £30 I believe.

I want a very small wedding, few guests except immediate family and very close friends. She wants a huge wedding. I'm sure we'll reach a compromise.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
1) I just asked her parents if I could go over for a quick chat one night after work (so they probably twigged on from that), just got straight to to the point and said I was planning to pop the question and knew that the Mrs would want me to ask you first. They were very supportive about it and just asked if I had a plan for doing it etc.

2) The ring was the hardest part for me as she gave me absolutely zero indication of what she liked in the months leading up to it. We had both spoken about getting married and it was pretty much agreed we would be doing it at some point (plenty of hints dropped form her and her friends). I tried to get her sister in on the act to give me some ideas, but she wouldn't even go looking at them on their usual shopping trips. I eventually just flat out asked her to help me choose a ring for her, tbh we're both happy we did it that way as she found exactly what she wanted and it saved having to run around getting it resized etc. It ended up being less than a months salary, but be wary as they can get pretty extortionate very quickly.

3) I planned a nice getaway to the lakes in one of those spa hotels with the intention of doing it during a scenic walk or a nice dinner, but then though sod it and caught her off guard a night or two before we went. She'd been at a friend's house so I got a load of candles, lit a path of them leading down the hallway and then spread them out in the living room to make it nice. I was waiting for her when she came in and popped the question there and then. Was miles better as I was comfortable, had time to plan what I was going to do/say, it caught her by surprise and we both didn't brick the whole weekend away anticipating the question.

Now we just need to get the wedding sorted, but she's just as hard work trying to get ideas for that too :D

I'm hoping it's as straightforward as that for me when it comes to asking her Dad. He's easy going but I'll probably be bricking it somewhat more for that than the proposal itself.

Thankfully my partner's given me a fairly good idea as to what ring she'd like, I don't know where I'd start if she didn't. The high street jewelers seem to be very expensive and so I'm avoiding them like the plague. Likely to go with an independent jeweler; just depends on the value they can offer really.

Hope the wedding planning goes well.

1) Asked her dad if he wanted to get married to assert dominance.
2) About tree fiddy.
3) After arriving home early hours from ploughing the side piece.

Noted.

Soldato
Some interesting stories above for sure :D Her family is quite traditional in that sense and so I'd have to ask her Dad, even if it is old fashioned now. Her sister's husband had to do it and so I'm going to need to as well.

I'm obviously looking for ideas in preparation for my own proposal so keep them coming...

I want a very small wedding, few guests except immediate family and very close friends. She wants a huge wedding. I'm sure we'll reach a compromise.

You really think there'll be a compromise on that? Lots of women (maybe not yours) seem to have fallen in love with the idea of a massive wedding where they're centre of attention, it has to be their perfect day etc. My wife (and I) have always followed more of a "It's about the marriage, not the wedding." approach.

My sister in law had about 600 guests. Basically they would have had less than about 30 seconds for each guest, if we ignore the ceremony etc. You aren't celebrating with people if you never even talk to them or enjoy their company, you're just paying for them to have a meal (and landing a bill on their laps too, assuming they give a gift).

Caporegime
1. He was dead, so no.
2. Can't remember it was so long ago. I think about £200. This was 23 years ago though
3. No one really asked, we just decided it was the done thing after having a kid already and she was knocked up with another so decided it was time.

Soldato
1) Yes, I called him. I thought it was the right thing to do, although we had been together 9 years at the time :D
2) She wanted to use her grandmothers ring but wanted to have the ruby changed to a Sapphire. I have no idea how much it cost, but I know it was a hell of a lot cheaper than her picking something new!
3) In bed. We were both ill with colds and feeling sorry for ourselves.

Associate
1) Assuming you asked her Dad for his blessing, how did you go about this?

2) In terms of the proportion of gross annual salary at the time, how much was the ring?

3) How did you propose?
1) No need, was already getting pressure to propose from the family, grandparents etc.
2) 1/6th
3)On a gondola passing through the bridge of sighs in Venice

Associate
1. No its a bit old fashioned
2. Bought a cheap one from Swarovski then went with her to get the real one the next day that cost considerably more
3. Finished up a road trip round the US in Vegas went out for a nice meal and finished up at the bar in the Bellagio overlooking the fountain were I popped the question

Back
Top Bottom