• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** NVIDIA RTX 30 SERIES NOW ONLINE AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (3090 / 3080 / 3070) **

Soldato
No, I was on the site at release, it took multiple web page time-outs before the order went through. When it eventually went through, I had no notifications from anything for two hours and could not even check my order page. Eventually I got a Paypal email at 17:25, taking more money than was in my basket when I'd checked out two hours earlier... still couldn't check my order on OC. Finally their site appears to be working when I've woken up (though no email confirmation at all directly)... THIS IS ALL OCUK FAULT. I am not in control of their web servers, their billing process or their customer services team, so stop absolving them of blame.

I would fully expect an online company as big as OCUK would host their webservers on AWS or Azure. They have the ability to scale up or down based on customer demand. The site should NOT have gone down.
Now, if they are hosted on a server in some managed hosted site, then they deserve everything they get :D

Associate
FWIW my order status has now changed to “order received - not yet shipped”. Still no confirmation email but it’s moving. For reference I got it in at 15:09 yesterday.

I don’t condone prices changing on the fly but to be honest all of OCuk’s main competitors participating to this paper launch have been doing exactly the same... including crashing horribly for hours.

Associate
I would fully expect an online company as big as OCUK would host their webservers on AWS or Azure. They have the ability to scale up or down based on customer demand. The site should NOT have gone down.
Now, if they are hosted on a server in some managed hosted site, then they deserve everything they get :D

I'd expect a separation between the retail site and the forums at the very least. OCUK uses the Shopware eCommerce platform, but they might not be using the open source version which would make it difficult to have a cloud implementation. Plus the cost will be a huge factor, AWS and Azure can be expensive compared to a dedicated server. I don't think OCUK use a CDN for image assets either.

Permabanned

Domain Information
Domain:
overclockers.co.uk

Registrar:
TUCOWS Inc t/a TUCOWS [Tag = TUCOWS-CA]

Registered On:
1999-06-25

Expires On:
2025-06-25

Updated On:
2016-03-31

Registered until expiry date.

Name Servers:
ns-1490.awsdns-58.org
ns-1609.awsdns-09.co.uk
ns-382.awsdns-47.com
ns-720.awsdns-26.net

Associate
Well i managed to get my order in. Not what I really wanted, but got a Gigabyte Eagle 3080 and it was for the price of £649 as advertised.
Payment taken, order set to awaiting shipment, but no confirmation email as of yet. That doesn't matter, I have the bank details and the order number.

My 4k monitor arrives today as well :)

I was locked out of posting yesterday from about 1PM because of my postcount :eek:

Some people complained about price changes whilst in basket (not just OCUK) and while ethically that's not great, from a technical perspective it's essential to call back to the page and check that the values are correct before going to the payment processor.

Mine was in my basket and being processed at £649, I even have a picture of the little processing logo, you couldn't exactly go back and check the price, the site was barely responsive as it was, this is noway on the customer side, this whole launch was pretty much set up as a gauntlet, and although I think Gibbo is a pretty stand up chap, it's obvious he works hard and he tries to give us a deal here and there and I'm a little surprised there wasn't even a apology for the mess.

Soldato

Quite likely the latter.

I suspect with the recent "merge/move" of the forums to the shop that they've consolidated resources as well. Seems a bit daft considering the typical number of users browsing this forum during the day.

Associate
There is no way a site hosted with AWS should have gone down. It must have got absolutely hammered.
Where it's hosted has nothing to do with it. Doing a lift and shift with a creaky e-Commerce platform isn't going to make it perform better. You really need to use the native services.

This site shouldn't have gone down though, they should be using better software.

Permabanned
Where it's hosted has nothing to do with it. Doing a lift and shift with a creaky e-Commerce platform isn't going to make it perform better. You really need to use the native services.

This site shouldn't have gone down though, they should be using better software.
Poor design poor implementation and people thinking they are know it all's leads to **** like this

Associate
Well after an afternoon of timeouts and crashes my order for Asus TUF went through at about 5pm, seems the Amazon Payments thing kept crashing but it worked with Paypal... This morning says "Order Recieved - Not yet Shipped" so will wait and see how long i have to wait.. The Bots were hammering everywhere yesterday.

smr

smr

Soldato
I think if I was in my twenties I'd have probably been sad enough to have been sat there refreshing the website from 2 till 4pm trying to get an order in lol. I cannot be doing with any of that these days, I guess I'm a lot more chilled out now and I'm pretty laid back anyway. Will be exciting to see what AMD unveils with RDNA2. I don't know why but I've got a feeling that AMD are just going to deliver. And there's something quite charming about pairing an AMD Graphics Card with an AMD Processor. Maybe the new Radeons will be optimised with the the new Ryzens. If not then I reckon the 3080Ti's will be announced around the same time and I think FS 2020 will benefit from more VRAM in the long term, 10GB will quickly become quite low in a year's time I think, so 20GB will be the sweet spot.

Associate
There is no way a site hosted with AWS should have gone down. It must have got absolutely hammered.
Not true and this is coming from an Enterprise Architect, I get paid to tell large e-commerce companies how to actually use cloud technologies properly. I've seen "AWS hosted sites" which are setup badly. The backend is probably the weak point as it did show that they ran out of database connections at one point. My guess is the database is hosted on RDS which probably is sized for normal workloads not large spikes. They might be better off switching to Aurora and re-resize the nodes in advance of a "launch". There could also be issues at the code level which means that regardless how well the database is sized and configured they have bottlenecks at the application level which the Varnish cache masks - end result eventually things fallover. However just because something is hosted on AWS does not make it bullet proof.

One company I worked with had major issues like this for trainer launches and what we did there was to create a completely separate light weight "launches" site with Angular + Node.JS and MongoDB. This site had bot protection services that worked to stop the sneaker bots and allowed the main website to stay up plus process all the entrants who wanted to win the trainers for a particular competition without falling over.

Back
Top Bottom