And boomers wonder why millennials are bitter towards them..

Soldato
To be fair, I used to think the UK was horrendously expensive, and that BTL was an awful joke and we were all being ripped off. Then I travelled around a bit and realised - it's not that bad here, compared to many other countries, it can be pretty expensive in certain places - but on the whole there's a lot of choice.

I ended up in Dublin for what was supposed to be 12 months, before Visa'ing over to the states, (before this whole nightmare) and it's just another level of horror in Dublin / Ireland, it's so expensive, eye-watering.

I moved to a decent(ish) place 10 miles out and I'm paying 2500 a month, my friend in a 3 bed is paying 3500 a month, it's just carnage. Around where I live, a 1 bed place came up for 1900 a month, and the day they did the viewing, over 100 people turned up to view, it was just dumb...

It gets cheaper the further out you go, but it's still overall very expensive, makes London look cheap as hell.

Caporegime
I paid 3k. My brother paid 3k. It was a 5% deposit.

So the key thing here is 2 incomes.

For a single person, there isnt really a bank offering 95% ltv mortgages at 4,5,6 times yearly income, without interest rates that will have you reaching for the lube.

You're a very unusual house buyer and your experience doesnt really translate.

Associate
I'm only joking really. But you cant expect to own a massive house down south, in a nice area on your own on a low wage. That's nit anything being broken. That's fair enough.

I do agree that more land should be released by the super rich and more planning permission and more houses built. But whinging wont change anything. Vote labour atleast and do something yourself to achieve your dreams.

Man of Honour
Yeah you certainly learn how to handle yourself growing up. A lot of the pansies on here could do with a few years living in sighthill, easterhouse, drumchapel, etc.

We even have the Bucky triangle up here.

There's certain areas like drumchapel where every second male you see will have a chib in their face. That means their face has been slashed and the scar left is kind of a bar mitzvah of sorts a badge of honour to be worn with pride. When you do get slashed you need to invite all your mates to the hospital for selfies and high fives. Because now you are a real man.

Like any place it has it's good areas and it's bad. However it also makes you street smart. Only an idiot would pick a fight in Glasgow as there's a good chance that you will at worst be leaving with a slash on your face that's if they like you. If not so much it will be one to the gut leaving you with a lifetime of issues should you survive.

I know 4 doctors personally on a close level and the stories of some of the things they see on a daily basis is eye opening.

I went to primary school in gallowhill in paisley. One of the roughest areas there is. Fights every day. It made a man out of you. My secondary school was polar opposite in a very affluent area so I got out before I was introduced to all sorts of illegal substances at too young an age. I eventually did meet someone when I worked for the second biggest IT company in the world at the time who went to the same primary school as me and was in my class for a year. He said half the guys were now junkies or in jail.

Anyway it's better than living in a bubble your whole life. Where you just blame every problem on coloured people and immigrants. I was the only coloured person in that primary school. Luckily I was good at football so I was popular, third tallest in my class and could handle myself. It was a crazy place to go to school but I wouldn't change it for the world. I imagine though if I was short, not good at football or handling myself I'd likely have been picked on quite a bit. I ended up playing for both football teams at one point as I could literally play anywhere.

Great - so instead of evolving you're having to revert back to neanderthal behaviours. Sorry, but that's not what growing up or modern society should be. I spent a lot of time growing up around war torn areas, so have seen depravity, and bleakness, but what you've described makes it sound like Glasgow is stuck in the middle ages - unless you've added a bit of writer's licence. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about living outside of the little bubble people have made for themselves, which is why I greatly encourage people to move around, live in different countries, see different cultures and experience the world. I think that's more valuable than learning to be in a fight or have to fear for your life every day...

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Glasgow did used to be a bit of a crucible. Though I saw they spruced up the old docklands by building houses on them at Govan on google earth.

Soldato
Haha this forum never ceases to amaze me at times :p

The guy suggesting for 18 year olds to live in the back of a van like some modern day hobbit for 7 years, working 2 jobs and spending little to nothing.

Someone get this man a job as a careers advisor in a school

Soldato
It just screams of entitlement to me, youngsters want everything right now but they don't want to work for it or pay for it themselves, being able to blame someone else for your jealousy now that's privilege!

Thing is, if you want to get on the ladder you need to start at the bottom with a flat and give up all the luxuries; you don't need a million monthly subscriptions, gym membership, expensive car, eating out. House share or live at home and save it all. Depends how hungry you are for it. Suck it up and reap the future rewards. Or don't, and blame everyone else for the fact you can't afford it while you're posting on your expensive phone / gaming PC...

Caporegime
I'm only joking really. But you cant expect to own a massive house down south, in a nice area on your own on a low wage. That's nit anything being broken. That's fair enough.
Not sure that is representative of anyone's viewpoint in this thread.

I don't believe anyone is trying to buy a "massive house" aka mansion "down south" on minimum wage.

The problem is that currently the market does not cater to everyone. It caters to those on average income or better, and even then, mostly only to those who aren't single and can combine incomes.

(e: To answer the other chap: yes, I'm stupendously ugly and don't have a GF. :p I hide my face for fear of being put in the circus.)

Caporegime
Get a girlfriend then. Or are you ugly as well as poor

So you advice for young people is to enter into a very serious contract with another person that realisticaly is going to be a longer term than they've been alive at that point?

It's not really a useful argument is it?

Caporegime
Yeah you certainly learn how to handle yourself growing up. A lot of the pansies on here could do with a few years living in sighthill, easterhouse, drumchapel, etc.

We even have the Bucky triangle up here.

There's certain areas like drumchapel where every second male you see will have a chib in their face. That means their face has been slashed and the scar left is kind of a bar mitzvah of sorts a badge of honour to be worn with pride. When you do get slashed you need to invite all your mates to the hospital for selfies and high fives. Because now you are a real man.

Like any place it has it's good areas and it's bad. However it also makes you street smart. Only an idiot would pick a fight in Glasgow as there's a good chance that you will at worst be leaving with a slash on your face that's if they like you. If not so much it will be one to the gut leaving you with a lifetime of issues should you survive.

I know 4 doctors personally on a close level and the stories of some of the things they see on a daily basis is eye opening.

I went to primary school in gallowhill in paisley. One of the roughest areas there is. Fights every day. It made a man out of you. My secondary school was polar opposite in a very affluent area so I got out before I was introduced to all sorts of illegal substances at too young an age. I eventually did meet someone when I worked for the second biggest IT company in the world at the time who went to the same primary school as me and was in my class for a year. He said half the guys were now junkies or in jail.

Anyway it's better than living in a bubble your whole life. Where you just blame every problem on coloured people and immigrants. I was the only coloured person in that primary school. Luckily I was good at football so I was popular, third tallest in my class and could handle myself. It was a crazy place to go to school but I wouldn't change it for the world. I imagine though if I was short, not good at football or handling myself I'd likely have been picked on quite a bit. I ended up playing for both football teams at one point as I could literally play anywhere.

I love that your hard man experience is a "rough primary school" I bet they didn't even defrost the fish fingers at lunch time!

Although lovley to know I'm a psycho sonny approved "real man" I should get a new sig made.

Back
Top Bottom