• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3080 gigabyte gaming OC stuttering and coil whine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Hey everyone,

Looking for advice on my rtx 3080 gigabyte gaming OC.

I know I am certainly lucky to be one of the first to have received an RTX 3080 which makes this slightly harder as if I were to RMA the card, I am not optimistic that a replacement card will be provided quick!

To quickly outline the problem:

When launching a game and playing for the first couple of minutes, I experience some stuttering and albeit it's not game breaking at all but definitely annoying.

The stuttering is also triggered by small tasks and usually when they occur for the first time. For example, in the Witcher 3 the game stutters for the first minute of playing and it seems to occur whilst the map loads new textures/areas of the map, and in any session, using my first sign when playing the game (e.g. igni) will always cause a stutter but will never stutter thereafter after the first sign is used.

The stutter is also brought about by other small things, like whenever I open the map in Control, my game stutters crazy whilst the map loads in and out (fps dropping from 100 to 20 for a second when the map is loaded in and out), which is infuriating considering that Control is a game where I have to open the map pretty often!

Thus far, it seems this stuttering occurs in all games I have tested so far, but get triggered by different things. Strangely, when testing Heaven benchmark, the stutters occur in the exact same scene and times which highlights that something is triggering these stutters.

On top of the stuttering, my card has some very significant coil whine which on its own wouldn't bother me that much, but whenever a stutter occurs, the coil whine noise stops simultaneously and starts as soon as the stutter finishes. This makes the coil whine very annoying and makes it even more excruciating when my game stutters. I am somewhat worried that stuttering may be more problematic in certain games so I am feeling uneasy about the issue.

I guess what I am asking members, is would you get the card RMA'd? Do other RTX 3080 owners experience the same issues (in particular, gigabyte gaming OC owners if there are some around)? Are these likely to be driver issues provided that the card is so new?

Would appreciate any help with this and insights as to what I should do.

My specs:

CPU : Ryzen 3700x
RAM : DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000 Mhz
PSU : EVGA 850w GQ

I also play on a Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Ask Yourself a question "Do I want to wait 1-2 months to get next 3080" And that answer is Answer to the question.

Associate
On a quality supply like that Seasonic id wager it wouldn't be an issue :p I'm running a Seasonic Platinum Series 860w - Quality supplies for sure :) Reading around the cards do seem to have issues with the corsair RM range of supplies, which the op isn't running but its still interesting. I find it funny how reviewers start coming out of the woodwork claiming that the system was crashing consistently during their testing but failed to put that in the review or give people a heads up running similar systems that this may be a potential issue.
Exactly, im less concerned now with my PSU i worked out my cpu will pull around 230w and even at 430w max from the GPU i should be on the safe side. These sort of things are never covered in detail, its the same story with the new intel MB, havent seen many reviewers even touching on the fact it can use up to 1400A of power in some models and that the psu you have might not be up to the task. In my case i need 5 x 8 pins to get my system running, most psu s dont have this luxury.

Man of Honour
Exactly, im less concerned now with my PSU i worked out my cpu will pull around 230w and even at 430w max from the GPU i should be on the safe side. These sort of things are never covered in detail, its the same story with the new intel MB, havent seen many reviewers even touching on the fact it can use up to 1400A of power in some models and that the psu you have might not be up to the task. In my case i need 5 x 8 pins to get my system running, most psu s dont have this luxury.

Im one of those guys that has actually melted a PSU before, I was running 13 gpus off of a cheap power supply. The melting smell was just beautiful :)

J.D

J.D

Soldato
I wouldn't think so considering my EVGA 850W GQ is only a year old since I bought it and it isn't exactly a low quality PSU, if anything I think it's close to more higher tier PSUs? I do recall spending around £120 on it and it's Gold quality rated. I believe the PSU is definitely fine on paper, although not ruling out that potentially the extra power draw could be identifying that my PSU has been faulty all along? Although I highly doubt that.

Also the consistency of the stutters makes me think it's not PSU related, i.e. stutters at the same scenes and times within the Heaven benchmark and specific actions in games which cause stutters. If it was power related, I would think that the hits in performance would not have specific triggers but would be more random stutters and an average drop in frames which I don't experience.
If your PSU is that new and 850w then yeah, I agree that's most likely not the case with you. Hopefully it's just a driver problem that will soon be rectified.

I only suggested the PSU as it can cause erratic behaviour when at the limits. Good luck with the card.

J.D

J.D

Soldato
I have the same doubts about my old Antec PSU, 4 rails, but will it cut the mustard with 3080? I wish I could find out!
Post 16 has someone with an old PSU and working fine so that's made me feel a little better.

Good luck for getting a card and that it works.

Associate
OP
Have been testing more games and using HWiNFO to see if there were any observable changes in the GPU during the stutters.

GPU clock remained the same during the stutters, the only thing that did change when the stutters occurred is the GPU load and power draw.

Whenever my game stutters the power draw from the card can go from 250W to 130W which occurred in battlefield, whereas in Control if I was opening and closing the map to trigger the stutters the power draw decreased from 330W to 230W and GPU load would go from 96% - 30%~50% during the stutters.

Associate
I just RMA'ed my 3080 Gigabyte Eagel OC today. The PCI connector pins looked like they were soldered on in a rush.

3 of the 8 pins in the connector closest to the back of the card are seated much lower than they should be and I suspect that might be a problem when it gets hot.

I ran a couple of games for like 15 minutes before the screen went black and the fans stopped on the card (logo was still illuminated) and I had a black screen.

Plugged my Radeon 7 in and played for hours. PSU is a 750W.

So sad... :(

Associate
OP
I just RMA'ed my 3080 Gigabyte Eagel OC today. The PCI connector pins looked like they were soldered on in a rush.

3 of the 8 pins in the connector closest to the back of the card are seated much lower than they should be and I suspect that might be a problem when it gets hot.

I ran a couple of games for like 15 minutes before the screen went black and the fans stopped on the card (logo was still illuminated) and I had a black screen.

Sorry to hear that... I think I will be in a similar situation! Did Overclockers put you in the back of the queue or front for a replacement?

Associate
Sorry to hear that... I think I will be in a similar situation! Did Overclockers put you in the back of the queue or front for a replacement?

No idea TBH. Did it today. In my opinion and not just because I'm in this position but because I'm sure others would feel the same. It should be replaced when stock is available as a matter of priority because you have already paid for, received and used the product.

It's not a great situation but hopefully this isn't happening that much.

Associate
On a positive note the card is amazing. 1440p 140-160 FPS highest settings available in Borderlands 3 and the same with Warzone. Using it with G-Sync and HDR. It's amazing when it works.

Associate
I'm in the queue for this card so would like to know if anyone else with the same card is experiencing similar issues. I know the 3080 in general has a driver issue atm where it clocks above 2GHz it crashes so hopefully that'll be resolved in a driver update. This however seems to be more unique issue to the generic 3080 issues. So would be great to see some comparable review from other users with this Card even if they purchased from a different vendor. Surely OP isn't the only person on the forum to get this card thus far, if so doesn't bode well for my queue position.

Associate
OP
No idea TBH. Did it today. In my opinion and not just because I'm in this position but because I'm sure others would feel the same. It should be replaced when stock is available as a matter of priority because you have already paid for, received and used the product.

It's not a great situation but hopefully this isn't happening that much.

On a positive note the card is amazing. 1440p 140-160 FPS highest settings available in Borderlands 3 and the same with Warzone. Using it with G-Sync and HDR. It's amazing when it works.

I agree, overclockers have held that people will be served on a first come first serve basis, and that includes dealing with faulty products.

Yeah the card is great, never felt so smooth before on my 144hz 1440p monitor as well, except for the infuriating stuttering!

I am hoping my issue may be driver related; I may hold onto the card for a month hoping that new drivers fix my issue before the RMA window time finishes.

If RMA does turn out the be the outcome and overclockers put me at the back of the queue, it's likely there will be better chance to get a card elsewhere or even the FE card since the overclockers queue for these cards is so big. Even more positive, Big Navi could shock us all and I would be tempted to try out AMD if I am moved to the back of the queue.

I'm in the queue for this card so would like to know if anyone else with the same card is experiencing similar issues. I know the 3080 in general has a driver issue atm where it clocks above 2GHz it crashes so hopefully that'll be resolved in a driver update. This however seems to be more unique issue to the generic 3080 issues. So would be great to see some comparable review from other users with this Card even if they purchased from a different vendor. Surely OP isn't the only person on the forum to get this card thus far, if so doesn't bode well for my queue position.

I agree, the more the better. I would hate to be the only one to have this issue (makes me feel awfully unlucky), and if others have the same issue, it can probably be pinpointed or drivers as the culprit.

Associate

this as me really worried re the eagles strange power connector even der8auer in a recent vid pointed this out .... @9:41

Soldato
Very concerning... I have an Eagle pre-ordered here @ 14:36 on launch day, was hoping to have it soon...

But have seen concerns and only saw reviews later on, after a tear down to notice those PCI-E connectors look worringly designed. :(

Associate
Very concerning... I have an Eagle pre-ordered here @ 14:36 on launch day, was hoping to have it soon...

But have seen concerns and only saw reviews later on, after a tear down to notice those PCI-E connectors look worringly designed. :(

That's the one worry I have about that Eagle that I've also pre-ordered. I'm waiting for more info what they're doing with that part of the card, as Alphacool is now working on a block for it. May have to re-wire or create new PSU power cables to get rid of that connection box, bit of a faff as right now I've got nice self-sleeved PCI-e power cables and I'd really rather not have to make new ones. Oh and the connectors on the card are apparently 8-pin Molex Micro-Fit 3.0 connectors.

May also end up cancelling the pre-order, hurry up AMD!

Associate
This might seem a silly option, but ........ I run the Witcher and had issues a couple of times with it. I take it it's running on the Steam platform? Have you verified it recently?

Games download updates sometimes without you knowing it and they don't always come down the pipe right, verifying is a relatively quick and easy way to eliminate the game as a potential issue.

Associate
Hey everyone,

Looking for advice on my rtx 3080 gigabyte gaming OC.

I know I am certainly lucky to be one of the first to have received an RTX 3080 which makes this slightly harder as if I were to RMA the card, I am not optimistic that a replacement card will be provided quick!

To quickly outline the problem:

When launching a game and playing for the first couple of minutes, I experience some stuttering and albeit it's not game breaking at all but definitely annoying.

The stuttering is also triggered by small tasks and usually when they occur for the first time. For example, in the Witcher 3 the game stutters for the first minute of playing and it seems to occur whilst the map loads new textures/areas of the map, and in any session, using my first sign when playing the game (e.g. igni) will always cause a stutter but will never stutter thereafter after the first sign is used.

The stutter is also brought about by other small things, like whenever I open the map in Control, my game stutters crazy whilst the map loads in and out (fps dropping from 100 to 20 for a second when the map is loaded in and out), which is infuriating considering that Control is a game where I have to open the map pretty often!

Thus far, it seems this stuttering occurs in all games I have tested so far, but get triggered by different things. Strangely, when testing Heaven benchmark, the stutters occur in the exact same scene and times which highlights that something is triggering these stutters.

On top of the stuttering, my card has some very significant coil whine which on its own wouldn't bother me that much, but whenever a stutter occurs, the coil whine noise stops simultaneously and starts as soon as the stutter finishes. This makes the coil whine very annoying and makes it even more excruciating when my game stutters. I am somewhat worried that stuttering may be more problematic in certain games so I am feeling uneasy about the issue.

I guess what I am asking members, is would you get the card RMA'd? Do other RTX 3080 owners experience the same issues (in particular, gigabyte gaming OC owners if there are some around)? Are these likely to be driver issues provided that the card is so new?

Would appreciate any help with this and insights as to what I should do.

My specs:

CPU : Ryzen 3700x
RAM : DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000 Mhz
PSU : EVGA 850w GQ

I also play on a Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Does your motherboard have multiple PCIe slots that are capable of running the GPU at full speed? If so, could you try it in another slot? Just wondering if something is wrong with the slot you are using.

Associate
OP
Does your motherboard have multiple PCIe slots that are capable of running the GPU at full speed? If so, could you try it in another slot? Just wondering if something is wrong with the slot you are using.

Good suggestion, I have an X570 Aorus elite which comes with 2 PCIe slots, but one is x16 and the other is x4. I currently have it in the x16 slot so I wouldn't want to move my GPU to the x4 slot as I believe it might impact performance. Although maybe as I benefit from PCIe 4.0 I might not take a performance hit? But it certainly wouldn't be optimal.

As an update to everyone, I have experienced crashes in games such as Metro Exodus, Control and Battlefield 1. The Battlefield 1 crash gave me a DirectX error associated with drivers whereas the other crashes had no message attached. I do think the drivers are a little dodgy, and many other RTX 3080 users experiencing plenty of crashes. I guess It's a given; early adopters of new computer tech always turn out to be beta testers! Although it remains unknown if my particular issue is driver related. I have not found any other posts with problems such as mine so I may be a unique case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom