• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 / 3090 / 3070 Gigabyte Eagle Gaming OC & Vision Power Connector Concerns

Associate
Just shows how cheap Gigabyte is, even saved on the glue they could have used to hold them in place, I expect this level of workmanship from Zotac.

Ico

Ico

Associate
It should not be necessary to tamper with the connectors, but I really prefer them like that than soldered to the board. As they are, if something happens to them it would be a trivial fix, definitely easier than desoldering. Their choice also opens the door to install, for example, the new 12 pin connector if you wanted (I guess that Gigabyte took that route just to have more freedom in this regard). Finally, with their design, when you plug the cables (or if there is tension after plugging them) you are not stressing the PCB, but a cheap external component.
the idea is good just quality of connectors is poor

Associate
the idea is good just quality of connectors is poor

Yeah... I guess that connector quality is currently a bit of a lottery and it should not be. Sometimes those components are outsourced (I don´t know if that is the case, though) and depending on the day, you can have better or worse ones. You would expect that if they went all that way to implement something that is more costly than traditional soldering of a couple of regular connectors QC would be more strict.

Associate
Yeah that's not ideal. Probably easily fixable, maybe the retention clips on those pins have gotten a little bit bent and they drop out too easily. :(

Managed to sort out the pins, I AM BACK IN ACTION BABY!

First I just wanted to RMA it, and be done with it, but seeing some other people tackle the issue, I was like, I can do this ****. Nevermind it's a £1600 card, easypeasy. You can imagine my relief when the card booted up properly. Now I've finished some good old testing and it still holds, so I may just avoided bricking it, looks like.

I had to take off the backplate and unscrew the connector to be able to properly refit all the pins that got pushed back. First I tried through the ventillation holes on the backplate, but two of the pins wouldn't budge, so I had to take it apart. After reassembly I tried to make sure they are all in the middle of their socket, and I also fiddled a bit with the female power connectors on my Corsair PSU, so the couplings are not too tight, so there is less chance of them pushing back the pins again in the GPU connector.

The quality of the connector is abysmal really, this is something I remember from the old days of IDE HDDs and CDROM drives, when the pins would move around like they don't belong there. I don't know how on earth this could pass quality control. Just comparing with the connector on my old GB 1080, that's a proper thing. This is awful.

NYRUAdO.jpg

Associate

First I just wanted to RMA it, and be done with it, but seeing some other people tackle the issue, I was like, I can do this ****. Nevermind it's a £1600 card, easypeasy. You can imagine my relief when the card booted up properly. Now I've finished some good old testing and it still holds, so I may just avoided bricking it, looks like.

I had to take off the backplate and unscrew the connector to be able to properly refit all the pins that got pushed back. First I tried through the ventillation holes on the backplate, but two of the pins wouldn't budge, so I had to take it apart. After reassembly I tried to make sure they are all in the middle of their socket, and I also fiddled a bit with the female power connectors on my Corsair PSU, so the couplings are not too tight, so there is less chance of them pushing back the pins again in the GPU connector.

The quality of the connector is abysmal really, this is something I remember from the old days of IDE HDDs and CDROM drives, when the pins would move around like they don't belong there. I don't know how on earth this could pass quality control. Just comparing with the connector on my old GB 1080, that's a proper thing. This is awful.

NYRUAdO.jpg

well done. Thanks to the reports on here and Reddit I cancelled my eagle order. Seems I’m cursed with buying the worst cards. “Looking at you as well zotac”

Ico

Ico

Associate

NYRUAdO.jpg
congrats great job enjoy the card

Associate
IMHO there is no room for molex connectors like this in modern computer components,they are among the worst connectors i have ever seen..they are the long lost brother of the tamiya connectors

Associate
OP
Hey all,

I'm talking to my HQ and we're looking into the reports.

Thank you... would you keep us updated if they do revise the design on the connector going forward

NYRUAdO.jpg

Good work solving the problem ..a little concerned that you should have to be doing this on a £1600 card ..but at least your up and running and not having to RMA it and be waiting god knows how long for a replacement .

As for fiddling with the corsair psu female end you want the connection to be tight so they would be less resistance being so...but what can you do if its to tight and pushing the pins back..

Its something i would keep checks on going forward

IMHO there is no room for molex connectors like this in modern computer components,they are among the worst connectors i have ever seen..they are the long lost brother of the tamiya connectors

Agree with you there

Soldato
4 year warranty on the cards (not for eagle or vision which is a shame ) .
Should last up to the job, and longer cover if something does go wrong .
Gigabyte went custom on PCB and seems tried to keep it as short as possible whilst increasing VRMs over Reference . Also makes it a bit of a pain. To do Waterblocks , specially when Gigabyte sell/will sell Gaming OC and Aorus waterblock versions in the future like the RTX 3***

Associate
Well, I like that the cables are coming out of the not-all-that-long PCB at the end. I don't like that they're not standard PCI-e power connectors though, going to have to make custom cables for that. Or cancel preorder and go to Navi, can still happen. :)

Associate
I RMA'ed for exactly the same thing. Had my GB Eagle OC card for 4 days and it started having issues with power and black screens etc. Noticed 3 of the pins were lower than the rest.

I've been without it since returning to OC for just under 2 weeks now. So the last thing I want to go through is this again when I get my new GB OC card.

Being aware of this issue, I've actually purchased PCIe extensions to fit on the card so that I don't have to continually apply stress to the connector.

When I need to remove it from the case in the future or disconnect the GPU from power etc. it will be from the extension.

If it continues to be an issue then I'll return it and replace with another brand once shortages are resolved or I'll go with Big Navi if it's just as good as the 3080.

Hopefully GB will have a fix / replacement unit to offer people that have purchased the card by that point.

Associate
OP
I RMA'ed for exactly the same thing. Had my GB Eagle OC card for 4 days and it started having issues with power and black screens etc. Noticed 3 of the pins were lower than the rest.

I've been without it since returning to OC for just under 2 weeks now. So the last thing I want to go through is this again when I get my new GB OC card.

Being aware of this issue, I've actually purchased PCIe extensions to fit on the card so that I don't have to continually apply stress to the connector.

When I need to remove it from the case in the future or disconnect the GPU from power etc. it will be from the extension.

If it continues to be an issue then I'll return it and replace with another brand once shortages are resolved or I'll go with Big Navi if it's just as good as the 3080.

Hopefully GB will have a fix / replacement unit to offer people that have purchased the card by that point.

Thanks for the update hope you get your replacement back soon ..remember that adding more connections can lead to increased resistance.

I really do hope Gigabyte revise the connection box going forward.

Associate
I really do hope Gigabyte revise the connection box going forward.
To be honest, I don't see the point of it - I'm sure there must be one, but it is lost on me :confused:

If they want to keep the tidy lines by using an extension, I'd have thought using a normal PCI-E connection on the PCB, with an extension connected to that, would be better rather than this more unusual connector they have used. See what they come up with I guess, but hopefully it isn't the start of a trend with other manufacturers doing the same!

Associate
We have investigated the issues that have been reported and have a solution to fix any cards that have developed lose or faulty power pins. Any customers that have experienced the same power connector problem as reported on this thread, please contact me directly and I will arrange to have the card fixed with a new connector as quickly as possible.

[email protected]

Associate
We have investigated the issues that have been reported and have a solution to fix any cards that have developed lose or faulty power pins. Any customers that have experienced the same power connector problem as reported on this thread, please contact me directly and I will arrange to have the card fixed with a new connector as quickly as possible.

[email protected]

Hi @GIGA-Man

Will this fix be proactively applied to cards from this point on that Gigabyte supplies or retroactively?

Can we reach out to get the component replaced even if it's not broken because this does appear to be an inherint design flaw.

I'm speaking from personal experience and I'm still waiting on a new card as my previous card was RMA'ed.

I'll reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Associate
As someone waiting for an Eagle it would definitely be reassuring to know that any issues will be dealt with.

Obviously I'd prefer there weren't any in the first place though :p

Associate
@GIGA-Man Thanks for the proactive and reassuring response.

I'm sure you cannot go into too much detail but could it be possible that this solution could be applied by the end user at home (after obtaining permission) without having to have the card doing a round trip back to the manufacturer?

Back
Top Bottom