• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 / 3090 / 3070 Gigabyte Eagle Gaming OC & Vision Power Connector Concerns

Associate
Hey, GIGA-Man I have a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC on pre-order do you know if that power connector has been fixed with the next batches of cards coming into overclockers?

Associate
OP
We have investigated the issues that have been reported and have a solution to fix any cards that have developed lose or faulty power pins. Any customers that have experienced the same power connector problem as reported on this thread, please contact me directly and I will arrange to have the card fixed with a new connector as quickly as possible.

[email protected]

Thanks for the update .I shall post this on the 1st page ..also me and others would like to know going forward as the connector box been revised ?

Associate
@GIGA-Man Thanks for the proactive and reassuring response.

I'm sure you cannot go into too much detail but could it be possible that this solution could be applied by the end user at home (after obtaining permission) without having to have the card doing a round trip back to the manufacturer?

Fair question, let me check. While it's a fairly simple change, doing it yourself could void the warranty if you damage the card. While I'm sure you and almost everyone on this forum are more then capable, some please should not be let near a screw driver and PCB.

Associate
Future cards will have the fix, if you do have a card with an issue as there will be a small amount of mixed stock, contact me and I will make sure to get it fixed for you.

Soldato
Future cards will have the fix, if you do have a card with an issue as there will be a small amount of mixed stock, contact me and I will make sure to get it fixed for you.

Will there be a way to tell the difference between the new 'fixed' models and the first batch?

Edit: and if we receive an early card, could we send it to you to get the updated parts installed rather than wait until there's a problem?

Last edited:
Associate
Fair question, let me check. While it's a fairly simple change, doing it yourself could void the warranty if you damage the card. While I'm sure you and almost everyone on this forum are more then capable, some please should not be let near a screw driver and PCB.

That's a fair point. I suppose the last thing you need is unnecessary RMAs if a user was to be careless.

For those of us who might receive a card from the mixed stock and find that they have the unmodified connectors, would we be looking at returning it to base for modification and waiting to receive that same card back as opposed to having a straight swap to avoid downtime?

Associate
For those of us who might receive a card from the mixed stock and find that they have the unmodified connectors, would we be looking at returning it to base for modification and waiting to receive that same card back as opposed to having a straight swap to avoid downtime?

It'd be very frustrating to have to send it back as soon as it arrives if it's one of the bad ones. Hopefully @GIGA-Man can clarify the process for anyone who might end up in that position, to put our minds at ease?

Associate
OP

Thanks for the updates .. So to be clear.. the original design of the connector block are defective.

But as since been revised fixed going forward.

Now i understand not all will have the problem on the original flawed design but i would guess eventually they will ..the more times the user unplugs re plugs back in ect ..

However what i am really concerned for is for the people that are unaware of this issue
and lets say some of plugs connectors do not make good contact with the pcie lead connectors but still work .. so over time as we have seen in the early post of this thread where the connector melted due to resistance building up.

Then surly this is a serious issue and could lead to something worse. then i would expect gigabyte to recall the cards that have the defective blocks ..as the last thing anybody wants and in the worse case is a fire on there hands.

So is there any other cards in the range with this connector issue other then the ones i have listed ?

Associate
Thanks for the updates .. So to be clear.. the original design of the connector block are defective.

But as since been revised fixed going forward.

Now i understand not all will have the problem on the original flawed design but i would guess eventually they will ..the more times the user unplugs re plugs back in ect ..

However what i am really concerned for is for the people that are unaware of this issue
and lets say some of plugs connectors do not make good contact with the pcie lead connectors but still work .. so over time as we have seen in the early post of this thread where the connector melted due to resistance building up.

Then surly this is a serious issue and could lead to something worse. then i would expect gigabyte to recall the cards that have the defective blocks ..as the last thing anybody wants and in the worse case is a fire on there hands.

So is there any other cards in the range with this connector issue other then the ones i have listed ?

Vision has exactly the same layout so I would suspect early ones have the same issue.

I also recieved a card with loose power connectors, and I've contacted my retailer for an RMA and hopefully a replacement. Seems like there are no replacements around and they're not expected until 2021, so they've decided to give me my money back. For me that's an absolute bummer, especially when i read that gigabyte are working on replacing the faulty cards as we speak. I'm from Norway though, and we don't have any official Gigabyte rep here, but do you think you could help me out in this situation? I would be very, very grateful. Thanks

Associate
OP
Vision has exactly the same layout so I would suspect early ones have the same issue.

Thank you OP updated

I also recieved a card with loose power connectors, and I've contacted my retailer for an RMA and hopefully a replacement. Seems like there are no replacements around and they're not expected until 2021, so they've decided to give me my money back. For me that's an absolute bummer, especially when i read that gigabyte are working on replacing the faulty cards as we speak. I'm from Norway though, and we don't have any official Gigabyte rep here, but do you think you could help me out in this situation? I would be very, very grateful. Thanks

sorry to hear this.. @GIGA-Man are you able to help here ?

Associate

We'll only fix the card in house, however we will also supply OCUK with cables too. I know many of you can fix it easily enough but we need a blanket rule for those that cannot.

Associate
Any one that start to have these problems on the cards, please contact [email protected] and I'll get it fixed for you, to save time please include name, address, serial number, check number (these are on the box label) and best day for collection. I'll arrange to have the card collected, fixed and shipped back to you ASAP.

Associate
OP
Oh, I almost forgot. All card now being produced have a new connector.

Any others that have the old type and that do develop a fault let me know.

Good to hear ... So just how many are out there in the wild atm or soon to be with the old connector box any rough estimate..and are you able to give the serial number info cut off point on the Old design ?

Back
Top Bottom