• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN 5000 SERIES NOW ONLINE - 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X COMING NOV 5TH AT 5PM **NO COMPETITORS**

Caporegime
You and three other people seem to feel the same way. £200 for a 12 core Ryzen 3?
No I won't pay more than £3.50 for a 1024-core Ryzen 25. And I want it delivered by the Jamaican women's bob sleigh team, on the 30th of February 2021.

There, now you have something ridiculous to quote that I really did say :p But I know it's more fun for you to just make things up and have imaginary conversations with people in your head, isn't it?

What I don't get is why you are desperately defending bad pricing? How does it benefit you?
Corporate Stockholm syndrome. It needs its own name really. The more they get bent over the more they love it.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
What I don’t get is why you see it that way. I’ll just quote myself again.

It's because there has been a considerable regression in the price/performance at the low end? If we go by AMDs numbers, the value proposition is considerably worse than last gen. You know this already.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's because there has been a considerable regression in the price/performance at the low end? If we go by AMDs numbers, the value proposition is considerable worse than last gen. You know this already.

It shows you many who were attacking Intel and Nvidia pushing up pricing only cared because it wasn't AMD doing it. They are no different than the people justifying Intel and Nvidia doing it. We saw how that worked out with GPUs.

Soldato
It shows you many who were attacking Intel and Nvidia pushing up pricing only cared because it wasn't AMD doing it. They are no different than the people justifying Intel and Nvidia doing it. We saw how that worked out with GPUs.

Or maybe it’s because Intel offered 1-2% every gen with 5-10% price increases, and pretty much still do. I just laugh at Nvidia prices generally, definitely in the Uber end of the market.

Soldato
It's because there has been a considerable regression in the price/performance at the low end? If we go by AMDs numbers, the value proposition is considerable worse than last gen. You know this already.

Again, let’s define “considerable” $50 more for a faster chip that is a drop in upgrade for most. Seem like decent value to me.

Soldato
Or maybe it’s because Intel offered 1-2% every gen with 5-10% price increases, and pretty much still do. I just laugh at Nvidia prices generally, definitely in the Uber end of the market.
I don't care who they are. When all of them are behind they become nice and offer extras. When they are ahead all do the same because the money men start making the orders. I remember how AMD back in the Athlon 64 days pushed pricing up,plus did stuff like Socket 754 and QuadFX which were bifurcated short term platforms. Before that they were all about price/performance and longterm platforms.

Then we had all the people who justfied Nvidia price rises,and then when AMD joined in,it was OK because Nvidia did it. I have gone with AMD because I don't like the tactics Nvidia and Intel are doing. If AMD are going to join in then they are the same for me.YMMV. Like with Intel and Nvidia,their fans can fall on their swords.

Soldato
Again, let’s define “considerable” $50 more for a faster chip that is a drop in upgrade for most. Seem like decent value to me.
I agree for those on a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen especially. The 5600x is the only one that's a tiny bit pricey for 6core but it's going to outperform any 3rd gen in games and perform close to an 8core 3rd gen 3000series in multi thread anyway. In that case getting a 3rd gen 3700x or something isn't really worth it. People just think oh no its only 6 cores..but it's 6 bloody fast cores.

Soldato
I don't care who they are. When all of them are behind they become nice and offer extras. When they are ahead all do the same because the money men start making the orders. I remember how AMD back in the Athlon 64 days pushed pricing up,plus did stuff like Socket 754 and QuadFX which were bifurcated short term platforms. Before that they were all about price/performance and longterm platforms.

Then we had all the people who justfied Nvidia price rises,and then when AMD joined in,it was OK because Nvidia did it. I have gone with AMD because I don't like the tactics Nvidia and Intel are doing. If AMD are going to join in then they are the same for me.YMMV. Like with Intel and Nvidia,their fans can fall on their swords.

Maybe, but you need to keep in mind AMD are operating with considerably lower margins than Intel and Nvidia and at some AMD will have to enter the high end graphics market. AMD will also have to do something about Intels off roadmap business and god knows what that looks like.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Maybe, but you need to keep in mind AMD are operating with considerably lower margins than Intel and Nvidia and at some AMD will have to enter the high end graphics market. AMD will also have to do something about Intels off roadmap business and god knows what that looks like.
Aren't AMD actually making a lot better margins with their CPUs than Intel?

Soldato
Aren't AMD actually making a lot better margins with their CPUs than Intel?

I doubt it. Intel are running 10 year old tech that more than paid back it's R&D costs years ago. I have no doubt that AMD are making a profit, which is more than they were doing 5 years ago. They are also pumping money into R&D and have been for the last 4 years or so.
The proper profit margins will come for AMD, probably with Ryzen 4 onwards.

Caporegime
I doubt it. Intel are running 10 year old tech that more than paid back it's R&D costs years ago. I have no doubt that AMD are making a profit, which is more than they were doing 5 years ago. They are also pumping money into R&D and have been for the last 4 years or so.
The proper profit margins will come for AMD, probably with Ryzen 4 onwards.
I keep hearing that the chiplet design means Zen costs a lot less to make then Intel's chips.

Associate
TEAM GROUP RIPPED EDITION 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C14 3600MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT - BLACK

Need this on cyber monday/black friday offer. Please make it happen :) Due a cpu upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom