• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is selling a CPU 2nd hand feasible?

Associate
The new AMD release is exciting, especially as it won’t require a mobo upgrade to invest in Zen 3.

I have a 1 year old Ryzen 7 3700x and if I did upgrade, I have no concept about how to sell the cpu, if I could.

The market for 2nd hand CPUs on eBay seems to be from professional computer stores who can repackage the cpu and make it look almost refurbished in quality.

For me, what, some foam packing and a Jiffy bag? If I were a consumer buying a 2nd hand CPU, I wouldn’t accept that level of service but unless I am missing something, there isn’t anything else I could think to do.

Am I concerning myself with a standard that doesn’t really concern other buyers? Is there a more feasible way to sell on my CPU rather than a direct eBay/gumtree listing?

Is there anyone here with experience selling/buying CPUs or parts that could give me some guidance on this please?

Associate
eBay isn't what it used to be - The world's largest car boot sale.

But personally, I would still buy a CPU from a private seller, and as long as it arrived well-packaged and protected, I don't see the issue.

Just be fully honest in your listing details.

Soldato
Ideally one would have kept the box.

your main problem is that CPUs need to be packaged in a way that protects the pins from being bent.

I don’t know that I’m allowed to direct link, but were you to search that place for AM4 CPU holder you will find the little clear plastic container being sold for 2.99 including postage.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've sold many CPUs on Ebay with no issue. If I bought it full retail then yes I keep the box and that helps a lot.

However I've also pulled lots of CPUs from old system units and sold them separately as they are small and easy to post. So several i5 3570K & non-K for ~£30-35 each. Last one was an i7 3770K but it did come packaged in a motherboard and still had an AIO attached :)

Good description with decent photos is all you really need. Yes ideally a plastic blister pack that protects the CPU pins i.e. AMD. Alternatively black anti-static foam with a depression cut out. Then wrap in a static bag. Small box is preferable to using padded envelopes. Try Parcel Monkey for good discounts on RM postage.

Maybe buy one of the many AMD CPUs coolers being sold without the CPU and make sure they will supply the box & CPU blister pack. Simple explanation in your advert that you bought the retail box simply to protect the CPU in transit as you threw yours out is a fine by me as a buyer. Make it clear the serial numbers won't match in the slight chance an unscrupulous buyer might try it on when they spot that and it wasn't stated.

Clear honest well documented adverts are key to hassle free auctions.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been watching eBay CPU sales, and they always seem to go for crazy money. Often within £20-30 (looking at Ryzen 3000 series), of the cheapest brand new prices from big retailers.

For me to buy used, needs to be ~half the price to take account of the chance of DOA, hassle of returns/refund, lack of or shorter warranty... all that is worth more than £20-30 to me.

Associate
I've bought and sold CPUs on the bay a bunch of times. Often it's the only place to get an upgrade for an old system.

For packaging, make sure you have an anti-static bag at the very least, then some padding around it, in some sort of small box. Should be fine.

Or as someone else says, you can always buy retail packaging first, but that cuts into your resale value, and Paypal/fleabay already take enough of a bite IMHO.

Associate
This is a fair shout. Might
Ideally one would have kept the box.

your main problem is that CPUs need to be packaged in a way that protects the pins from being bent.

I don’t know that I’m allowed to direct link, but were you to search that place for AM4 CPU holder you will find the little clear plastic container being sold for 2.99 including postage.
This is a fair shout. I bet you'd make it back in added sale price and you're less likely to have bother with returns. Just my view.

Caporegime
The new AMD release is exciting, especially as it won’t require a mobo upgrade to invest in Zen 3.

I have a 1 year old Ryzen 7 3700x and if I did upgrade, I have no concept about how to sell the cpu, if I could.

The market for 2nd hand CPUs on eBay seems to be from professional computer stores who can repackage the cpu and make it look almost refurbished in quality.

For me, what, some foam packing and a Jiffy bag? If I were a consumer buying a 2nd hand CPU, I wouldn’t accept that level of service but unless I am missing something, there isn’t anything else I could think to do.

Am I concerning myself with a standard that doesn’t really concern other buyers? Is there a more feasible way to sell on my CPU rather than a direct eBay/gumtree listing?

Is there anyone here with experience selling/buying CPUs or parts that could give me some guidance on this please?

buy new cpu

put old cpu inside new cpu packaging

post cpu to buyer

it's not rocket science

Soldato
I would only buy 2nd hand from MM here or in person, be that gumtree or FB marketplace. But where I can see the CPU/GPU/Monitor working in person before handing over the cash. I wouldn't personally buy tech on eBay.

Associate
I always eBay my second hand parts and knowing that I keep the original packaging so I can just clean it off and send it in mint condition. Never had an issue just make sure you have plenty of photographs of the item, the packaging, serial numbers and always send insured and tracked.

Soldato
I always eBay my second hand parts and knowing that I keep the original packaging so I can just clean it off and send it in mint condition. Never had an issue just make sure you have plenty of photographs of the item, the packaging, serial numbers and always send insured and tracked.

Have you ever had people say an item doesn't work?

Soldato
If you can get your post count over 1000 on this forum you get access to the Members Market, I've sold a couple of items on here and I'd highly recommend it.

One of the safer ways to sell and buy tech second hand.

Soldato
Biught and sold quite a few computer parts on ebay off orivate buyers. No problems
As said, take good pics, pack well and you’ll be fine

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice

I like the idea of using the new cpu box to send to the buyer, and I don’t have a post count to use the MM, I only get involved on the forum, selfishly so, when I have the need to update my machines.

I am also toying with using this as an opportunity to hand-me-down some PCs in our house. Give my current rig to my partner, and her rig can go to my lad since his current one is on its last legs. Since my partners rig is my old rig from 2 years ago, he will end up getting something far better.

Since AMD seem to be teeing up as an intel killer release for the CPU and hinting at just the same on the GPU basis, could be a cheeky excuse for a new build

Back
Top Bottom