What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Ticks

1993 classic awful horror, one of Seth Greens earlier film roles, as well as Alfonso Riberio doing his very best to over-act in the opposite direction of his Carlton character.

Terrible acting as expected, however the practical effects do have a certain charm about them.

4/10

Man of Honour
Underwater (2020)

This feels like the 3 minute ‘radio’ cut of the 9 minute album version of The Abyss (1989).

There isn’t really anything new here (it’s the same old claustrophobic underwater / out in space film we’ve seen before), but the setting is always enjoyable. Whilst there is very little plot development, at ~90 minutes it’s an enjoyably lean film, giving what I wanted without all the ‘filler pith’ that comes with a longer two hour run time.

The sets look great. With its murky visuals, I imagine the experience is much better on an OLED.

There is a generic ‘comic relief’ character that I think could have been left out for a more effective piece.

Overall, I had fun but I can’t see myself returning to it anytime soon due to its lack of originality. It may feel too familiar for some.

6.5/10

Soldato
Crazy Rich Asians

Meh, watchable, 6/10

Annihilation

Interesting start but went a bit cray cray come the end, 6/10

The Brothers Grimsby

Watched it after some positive comments on here. What a load of rubbish. 2/10

Associate
Enola Holmes (2020) - 7/10

The mystery wasn’t as traditional, complex or intriguing as I was expecting from the premise, but it is witty, stylish and clever.

Great production values and acting with enough light-heartedness and action to remain entertaining throughout.

The pacing and tone was a bit off at times and the Holmes brothers were a bit flat, but I suppose that’s to be expected in a story about her.

Soldato
Underwater (2020)

This feels like the 3 minute ‘radio’ cut of the 9 minute album version of The Abyss (1989).

There isn’t really anything new here (it’s the same old claustrophobic underwater / out in space film we’ve seen before), but the setting is always enjoyable. Whilst there is very little plot development, at ~90 minutes it’s an enjoyably lean film, giving what I wanted without all the ‘filler pith’ that comes with a longer two hour run time.

The sets look great. With its murky visuals, I imagine the experience is much better on an OLED.

There is a generic ‘comic relief’ character that I think could have been left out for a more effective piece.

Overall, I had fun but I can’t see myself returning to it anytime soon due to its lack of originality. It may feel too familiar for some.

6.5/10
Seeing as what that actor did to the films release, im guessing on hindsight im betting the producers went with anythign but him.

Soldato
John Henry - 3/10

I like Terry Crews, I look a good LA gang movie, 5th most watched movie on Netflix UK yesterday...what could do wrong...everything it seems. Two runaway immigrants end up in the home of TC while trying to escape his old gang, he's reformed, decides to protect them.

Felt like a dragged out music video, all style, no substance, terrible through and through.

Soldato
John Henry - 3/10

I like Terry Crews, I look a good LA gang movie, 5th most watched movie on Netflix UK yesterday...what could do wrong...everything it seems. Two runaway immigrants end up in the home of TC while trying to escape his old gang, he's reformed, decides to protect them.

Felt like a dragged out music video, all style, no substance, terrible through and through.
Yeah, I watched this yesterday and pretty much agree with you.
It was like it had a good (if not original) idea and then went out of it's way to be weird and disjointed.

Soldato
Love & Monsters - 7.5/10...love in he title is very misleading

It's a bit of a zombieland meets giant insects mash up. Asteroid comes toward earth, we send up all the rockets, destroy it, all chemicals come back down and mutate all cold blooded creatures into giant killers.

Jump 7 years to the future, an introvert decides to trek across dangerous land to get to his girlfriend from years ago in another bunker.

Lots of fun, very decent SFX...actually like it much more than Zombieland as it didn't have the hugely annoying Eisenberg.

Associate
Ip Man 4: The Finale (2019) - 8/10

An emotionally moving, exciting and fitting end to the series. The plot focuses on upholding tradition whilst embracing change and balances the politics of the time with his personal familial strife. As expected, there are some great martial arts fight sequences (although there’s no big set pieces), and although the credibility of the events is stretched a bit thin at times, it does hold together, although the US Marines are a bit too over-the-top. The sets look good and the acting is great.

Soldato
The Finest Hours - 8/10

Really enjoyed it, good production value, a true story about a crazy coastguard rescue. Surprised to learn after watching it was a Disney.

Soldato
@Nitefly @arc@css watched a decent little horror movie over the weekend you might be interested in.

Spiral - 7/10 - A gay couple in the mid 90's move to an idyllic middle america town. They're warmly welcomed by all but one of the couple starts to get very paranoid due to a past hate crime he went through and this escalates throughout. Seen enough horror to sort of know where it was going but the journey there was well paced and mostly believable. The gay element isn't forced or agenda driven but is pivotal to the movie.

Has a few unique elements and kept me on the edge of my seat for much of it. Oh and a certain poster on this sub-section might lose his mind at there being a gay black lead, think his head would implode.

Back
Top Bottom