• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I never actually cancelled my Series X order. I am just going to keep it unopened until such a time when there is something to play on it.

Lol, i probably sound like it sometimes but I'm not a Sony fanboy! I'll no doubt buy an Xbox when the new halo releases. I only cancelled my Xbox because at launch there aren't any exclusive games I want to play!

I bought both at launch last time round with the PS4/XB1 :D

Soldato
Thanks, @crazy8s for the link.

It places me in such a quandary now. It seems like the DualSense really is the second best thing about next gen (first being the SSDs). So why wouldn't I want to play all the multiplatform games on PS5 using that spiffy controller? And if that is the case, why do I need to buy an Xbox Series X when I could still play all the new, exclusive Xbox games on my PC, albeit at 1080p. Eeek. I'm going to have to wait for the multiplatform game reviews to decide. Although right now, I can see myself being quite happy playing the PS5 versions with the DualSense and the Pulse 3D headphones.

We know the Series X has a 17% Raw power advantage over PS5. This is almost certainly going to equate to "looking prettier on the screen". The question is how much more prettier?
I am so positive that each platform stand alone will look and perform excellently. However, if you look at them side-by-side you're going to see the odd thing on the Series X, but these are going to be the odd things you wouldn't notice you were missing if you weren't looking at them side-by-side.
When it comes to FPS and resolution - the consoles are far too close in performance for there to be 4k60 on one and not the other. So it's gonna be down to those little pretty enhancements.

With no launch exclusives for Series X - you can see why many people are thinking "PS5 plus Games Pass on my PC".

Soldato
The idea of being take full advantage of a Gen 3 NVME drive by connecting it internally and using it exclusively for PS4 games isn't that bad of an idea, at least in the short term while we wait for Gen 4 drives capable of hitting the performance needed to run PS5 games.

I think it just overcomplicates things and would inevitably lead to people buying drives and wondering why they aren't getting full functionality. If you've got a large games library you'll already have external storage of some kind for the PS4 anyway, which will do fine until NVMe drives are certified. The people buying the Xbox storage expansion are bonkers when there aren't even enough games to take advantage of it.

Soldato
I'm regretting not pre-ordering a PS5 now after hearing that Spider-Man MM is nearly the same length as the original, plus Astro getting some surprisingly great reviews. Do we know what time online orders will go live on launch day?

Man of Honour
The only issue I've had on one of my ds4's was that the rumble motor feels like it's going through I have had it for around 5 years. It works but the rumble effect feels like it rattles and doesn't disengage properly.

I still feel the quality on Sony/Nintendo controller is way better than Microsoft though. My first Xbox controller has an intermittent click at certain angles on one of the thumbsticks. Id have returned it but it came with the console so didn't want the hassle for a minor-ish gripe. The general build of the Xbox controller feels hollow/tinny and the material quality poor next to the switch pro/ds4 though.

In fact the dpad on my Xbox Windows controller is also broken on one of the diagonals. I suspect it was like this when I bought it but I didn't notice it until I'd had it a year.

Microsoft's quality control in general is honestly shocking IMO!

Hopefully the Dualsense will be reliable but it does sound like there's an lot of fancy tech in it which could go wrong ! The initial reviews seem positive though.
What are you on about?

He was talking specifically about the audio quality out of the audio jack of the DS4.
This.

Associate
Was worried I wouldn't be able to take a sip or two of my tea between loading times, but the PS5 has reassured me I can maintain that tradition for next-gen :)

Associate
So it seems the PS5 is SLOWER than the XSX at loading with BC titles. Very bizarre.
And as for the AC Syndicate issue - this is what it looks like playing on PS5. Weird glitches.

uZ9o8hZ.gif

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...atibility_-_the_good_the_not_bad_and_the_ugly
It's very early days yet, so I'm sure we'll see some polish ap[plied as the BC implementation matures.......just a shame that it doesn't improve or add a lot to older games (other than framerates) in the same way that Xbox does.

Soldato
So it seems the PS5 is SLOWER than the XSX at loading with BC titles. Very bizarre.

I'm surprised by that. I wonder if Microsoft have some kind of special sauce Xbox series routine going on in the background to optimise load times for XB1 titles. Fairly sure that on paper the SSD of the PS5 is faster iirc.

Caporegime
Odd that. I wonder if Microsoft have some kind of special sauce routine going on in the background to optimise load times for XB1 titles. Fairly sure that in paper the SSD of the PS5 is faster iirc.

It is odd. I wonder if Sony are limiting the SSD speed in PS4 games so it doesn't bust more of them.

Soldato
The PS5's storage system comes across as a bit more complex and designed specifically for the next-generation titles so I'm not immediately surprised by those results. It's no different on PC really, plenty of games will load at about the same time on an average SATA SSD as they would on a blazing fast NVMe one.

The comparisons I'm more interested in are between PS4 and PS5 loading times as those are the actual tangible benefits people will see.

Caporegime
It appears to be an issue with shadows I'm sure it can be patched but realistically how many people are going to play last gen games? I think the fact that Xbox sits on top of DirectX and is less to the metal probably helps Xbox in terms of backwards compatibility. In terms of loading times as long as it's not worse than on a native PS4 I don't see a problem, having things load faster than they should could in fact cause problems, Sony may have throttled clock speeds to more closely match PS4 performance.

Soldato
I'm guessing the slightly higher horsepower of the Series X helps with loading unoptimized older games. For exclusively next gen titles, I'd expect the PS5 to be faster or as close as makes no difference.

Re: AC Syndicate, wasn't that one of the games Ubi said would not work on PS%, before deleting the post??

Also, any word yet on battery life of the DualSense?

Back
Top Bottom