*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
It's actually very good, especially if you increase the bit-rate via the Oculus Debug Tools. Image quality is massively clearer (especially for text) than most other VR headsets, and there's almost no screen-door effect.

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-set-bitrate-update/

The only thing I would say is that the Quest 2 FOV feels really restricted compared to headsets like the Index, but if you've not experienced the Index then you won't know the difference, and of course the Quest is 1/3rd the price.

I assume I can safely increase bitrate without worrying about performance?
Assume changing the other variables may hit performance?

Soldato
It's actually very good, especially if you increase the bit-rate via the Oculus Debug Tools. Image quality is massively clearer (especially for text) than most other VR headsets, and there's almost no screen-door effect.

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-set-bitrate-update/

The only thing I would say is that the Quest 2 FOV feels really restricted compared to headsets like the Index, but if you've not experienced the Index then you won't know the difference, and of course the Quest is 1/3rd the price.

There doesn't appear to be any option to adjust the bitrate in the oculus debug tool I have. It was last updated 07/10/20 and I'm using a CV1 and quest 2.

Associate
Consider me jealous, my prescription is crazy (+6/+6.25) so I have pretty thick contact lenses (max 10-12 hours a day), I tried last year to find some longer/better alternative lenses but all options presented either kept moving around too much (constant blurry vision) or made my eyes stream..

I might try somewhere else (I'm with Specsavers) to see if anyone else can offer better options!

Just wondering why people don't try the prescription lens inserts on thingiverse. I have them on my rift-s , Quest, Quest2.

Soldato
Just wondering why people don't try the prescription lens inserts on thingiverse. I have them on my rift-s , Quest, Quest2.

I tried a similar version of those (I have my own 3D Printer) for my Samsung Odyssey, the lenses cost me a fair bit (£75) and sadly they where still too thick to not hit the HMD Lenses occasionally, luckily I was able to return the lenses and got a refund, so then used WidMoVR who did me some 'specials' for my prescription @ £103, they fitted fine but actually are very blurry off centre and make you feel a bit like you are in a fish bowl, not the end of the world, but not ideal.

By constrast, I've been able to use the AMR silicon lens rings on the Quest 2 and my normal glasses and it's better than my WidMoVR lenses, however it's still not quite as nice an experience as using contact lenses which offer the biggest sweet spot and best clarity for me. I think if you had a lighter prescription, the thingiverse lens adapters might actually be fine.. I don't fancy risking it!

Permabanned
Ok lenses tested and they are excellent, fair bit clearer than with my glasses. This could be because I got a new eye test and the prescription changed a tiny bit since I had these glasses. They came with a little cloth bag and a lense cove but the cover is only for the front so going to have to look after them. Also means I dont need the wide fitment nor the glasses spacer anymore.

Overall highly recommend getting prescription lenses if you have any issues wearing glasses. :)

Associate
I posted this on reddit, but for your info:

My IPD is 68mm. When I purchased the Rift S I found that due to the IPD restrictions and lack of adjustment, my FoV was restricted and I could see the straight edges of the panel - it was pretty awful and I returned it and kept on with CV1 (and another newer headset).

When I bought Quest 2 I found that I could not see these panel edges - the edges looked the same as per Quest or CV1, though the FOV was still restricted compared to those. However, I read posts from others who were finding they could see the straight panel edges and some were returning their headsets due to this.

I have never got on with Oculus face 'gasket' matertials, so I ordered an aftermarket interface and used a face gasket from the VR Covers range - and instantly suffered from the 'straight edge' syndrome! It's a shame, because the increased comfort was outstanding - I also use the rear padding from VR Covers sold for the Quest 1. I'm putting up with the straight edges, but I was thinking, if it works that way round for me, perhaps people who see the edges with the standard OEM gasket may not see it with an aftermarket one.

So perhaps if you do have the issue and find it distracting it may be worth trying an alternate face gasket - preferably thicker than the OEM one, and see if it makes a difference. Might be worth trying thinner, but I think that may make it worse.

I think probably the thicker it is, the more likely you are to not see the straight edges, though you may lose just a couple of degrees in FOV.

It may also be worth trying the provided spacer for spec's - even if you don't use them.

Soldato
I posted this on reddit, but for your info:

My IPD is 68mm. When I purchased the Rift S I found that due to the IPD restrictions and lack of adjustment, my FoV was restricted and I could see the straight edges of the panel - it was pretty awful and I returned it and kept on with CV1 (and another newer headset).

When I bought Quest 2 I found that I could not see these panel edges - the edges looked the same as per Quest or CV1, though the FOV was still restricted compared to those. However, I read posts from others who were finding they could see the straight panel edges and some were returning their headsets due to this.

I have never got on with Oculus face 'gasket' matertials, so I ordered an aftermarket interface and used a face gasket from the VR Covers range - and instantly suffered from the 'straight edge' syndrome! It's a shame, because the increased comfort was outstanding - I also use the rear padding from VR Covers sold for the Quest 1. I'm putting up with the straight edges, but I was thinking, if it works that way round for me, perhaps people who see the edges with the standard OEM gasket may not see it with an aftermarket one.

So perhaps if you do have the issue and find it distracting it may be worth trying an alternate face gasket - preferably thicker than the OEM one, and see if it makes a difference. Might be worth trying thinner, but I think that may make it worse.

I think probably the thicker it is, the more likely you are to not see the straight edges, though you may lose just a couple of degrees in FOV.

It may also be worth trying the provided spacer for spec's - even if you don't use them.

Yeah, VR headsets are so tricky to fit properly. There are so many variables. One size definitely does not fit all.

The only problems with trying all these things though is the cost of buying the different facepads to try.

Associate
Luckily for me I had several in reserve from the previous headsets I'd bought and got the extra pads for - they are usually well worth the money. I find they are usually interchangeable between velcro-type interfaces.

Soldato
I need some sort of shawl/veil type thing now, want to remove the face cover entirely, and use the mvhstudios headset to basically hold the lenses so my eyelashes are brushing them, bigger FOV, sweet spot seems larger too etc.

Any recommendations for relaxed multiplayer experiences? Looking at VR fishing, but if there's something free in rec room etc I'd be good with trying that! Sitting would be a preference.

Caporegime
Ok lenses tested and they are excellent, fair bit clearer than with my glasses. This could be because I got a new eye test and the prescription changed a tiny bit since I had these glasses. They came with a little cloth bag and a lense cove but the cover is only for the front so going to have to look after them. Also means I dont need the wide fitment nor the glasses spacer anymore.

Overall highly recommend getting prescription lenses if you have any issues wearing glasses. :)

Where from and how much?

I normally just take my glasses off, but it is a bit blurry :/

Associate
I can say now with full honestly the Q2 is an improvement on the Q1, the boot time is quicker, the screen is clearer and overall a much smoother experience, I'd say for 299 it's a bargain. The only downside is the damn Facebook imposition, but if you've got a clean account no danger (but I do not agree in any way with their big brother control on this).

I've got a Q1 too that I'm keeping, for multiplayer games with family members, and for anything that would benefit from the OLED display.

Back
Top Bottom