• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Are Microsoft making much, if any money on these units?

I mean looking at the specs you are looking at:

6700XT level GPU or more - $350-$400?
Ryzen 3700 CPU (ish) - $300?
1tb Gen 4 PICE - $150?
+ Motherboard, controller, ports, fans etc

Obviously they will be getting a big discount on all those parts compared to consumers, but the manufacturers still have to make some money. I just can't see there being any margin it for them.

Man of Honour
Its a bit of a shame we will probably never see the whole potential of the XB1X. Such a beast of a console held back in this gen.

It still has the atrocious Jaguar CPU in it so high resolutions, complex AI, etc. are not possible on it.

It appears that the Series S and Series X use standard M.2 SSDs so they should be very easy to upgrade. The same might be true for the external memory expansion.

1tb Gen 4 PICE - $150?

Obviously they will be getting a big discount on all those parts compared to consumers, but the manufacturers still have to make some money. I just can't see there being any margin it for them.

Only Nintendo make a profit on console hardware. Sony and Microsoft make a loss on each console sold during the initial few years of a generation.

Associate
Had the email from MS and UPS are now waiting for the box to arrive to ship out.
I had bought an OLED refurb/ex-service for £500 but to say the panel has issues is an understatement. So its going back on Wednesday.

Took a gamble on the TV now knowing i still had Black Friday as back up in case i wasn't happy with it. The oldest the tv could be is 2 and half years so it was a surprise to see how bad it was.

Man of Honour
Is the official play and charge kit the best one to go for? I can see the £20 USB c one. Assume its the same across xbox one and xbox series s/x?

It has pretty low charge batteries. I cancelled my order and went for eneloop batteries (hold 3 times as much charge) and the amazon charger that prevents overcharge (will get many more charge cycles out of them). I researched for weeks and came to the conclusion that the charging stands and play and charge kits don’t hold much charge, pack in after a few months and have no overcharge protection.

1tb Gen 4 PICE - $150?

Economy of scale probably helps them, but no, they rarely make money on console sales. Microsoft seems to be building its gaming environment and I guess game pass will eventually be the thing to make money. For both Sony and Microsoft I guess most of the money comes from games sales.

Soldato
Has anyone had any movement on their Microsoft UK order yet, beyond getting a tracking number with UPS?

Mine's been saying "Shipper created a label, UPS has not received the package yet." on the UPS tracking website since 11/07/2020 10:07.

Soldato
Has anyone had any movement on their Microsoft UK order yet, beyond getting a tracking number with UPS?

Mine's been saying "Shipper created a label, UPS has not received the package yet." on the UPS tracking website since 11/07/2020 10:07.

Mine is still the same too. It's unlikely that they'll be going anywhere until either tonight or tomorrow. I doubt that the consoles shipped direct from MS will arrive early.

Soldato
Just at my shopping centre just now. And someone in GAME was ordering a Series X.

So must have a little stock some stores for collection Tuesday?

Caporegime
OP
It appears that the Series S and Series X use standard M.2 SSDs so they should be very easy to upgrade. The same might be true for the external memory expansion.

Custom firmware might be an issue to begin with. The external SSD cartridge is CompactFlash Express. Which costs a small fortune.

Man of Honour
Custom firmware might be an issue to begin with. The external SSD cartridge is CompactFlash Express. Which costs a small fortune.

It will be the same as the XBox One most likely. Fixed drive sizes and you have to wait for an official version to be released at that capacity before it is supported.

Thanks for the info on the external drive, although I was more thinking along the lines of a Series to M.2 adapter being possible at some point.

Soldato
It has pretty low charge batteries. I cancelled my order and went for eneloop batteries (hold 3 times as much charge) and the amazon charger that prevents overcharge (will get many more charge cycles out of them). I researched for weeks and came to the conclusion that the charging stands and play and charge kits don’t hold much charge, pack in after a few months and have no overcharge protection.

Cool will take a look ta.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for the info on the external drive, although I was more thinking along the lines of a Series to M.2 adapter being possible at some point.

I would love that. And I'm pretty sure that could be what MS is alluding to when they talked about the external SSD being made available by other manufacturers in various form factors.

Soldato
Cool will take a look ta.

I've got EBL batteries and a charger from Amazon, and also have some Amazon Basics batteries. They're all really good and once charged and not in use, hold their charge for a month at least. I have a bunch of batteries charged up ready to go and can also use them for other things!

Soldato

Economy of scale probably helps them, but no, they rarely make money on console sales. Microsoft seems to be building its gaming environment and I guess game pass will eventually be the thing to make money. For both Sony and Microsoft I guess most of the money comes from games sales.
What was the model name of the charger? I have eneloop batteries and a panny charger, but it’s got a euro plug hence I’d like to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom