Will blue ray ever come down in price

Caporegime
as much as I like using Spotify , and have got iTunes 4k films..... I’ll never ditch physical media. Vinyl and cd and a nice 4k player for me :D

All CD's and all new vinyl's are made using a digital master though. You're just adding un-necessary steps. :p

I get the appeal of vinyl, its a nice tactile experience, getting it out of the sleeve, putting it on the player, moving the arm across and setting it down, enjoying the slight crackle which is actually just dust in the grooves, etc.

But CD? Nah.

Soldato
All CD's and all new vinyl's are made using a digital master though. You're just adding un-necessary steps. :p

I get the appeal of vinyl, its a nice tactile experience, getting it out of the sleeve, putting it on the player, moving the arm across and setting it down, enjoying the slight crackle which is actually just dust in the grooves, etc.

But CD? Nah.

You do still get vinyl that is mastered from the Analogue tapes. But some of it is garbage. And as I use a good headphone setup to listen to it, I can pick up a lot of it .

Permabanned
Ha Ha Ha - yeah my virgin internet 350M is fine - but alas my friends sky internet just can't cope :) 18m - Scotland lol.

Your 350Mb/s has only 35Mb Upload (the important part to send your mate files) and I am also in backwards Scotland and have VM 1Gb with 50Mb/s Upload so LOL back at you Sasanach ! :p

Soldato
Imagine if you could just play a lossless digital version of it instead and not have to deal with that problem. :p
Unfortunately there are thousands and thousands of cds and records that aren’t available on streaming platforms. Optical media ain’t going anywhere!

Associate
I put a Pioneer XL Bluray rewriter in a build as recently as last year, I just wanted to have one like still keeping a headphone slot on a phone and I plan to use it as secondary backup on the 128GB writable discs.

Haven't used it yet, but I'm sure I'll get round to it - eventually.

I just kind of like having a drive still, gives the PC an industrial retro industrial look.

Associate
sony are pricing it that way because they want you to be locked into their digital sales store, where you will not have access to the second hand market of the stiffer price competition of external sales portals.

Associate
I still use optical drives in my build. as on occasion I buy 2nd hand PC games from the era before games went digital. Example Test Drive Unlimited 1. I play the game with mods but it requires a legit serial key to play it. Secondly I occasionally burn music or films to disc. So for me my optical drive is still relevant for me

Permabanned
Mine is broke, I might buy a new drive for xmas i got my dvd collection i need backed up so no other way really. Has anyone got a recoomendation? In the old days custompc would do a monthy build with low med high and tell you what was cool but i got no idea at the minute.

I am backing up from DVD boxsets for preservation:

Only fools and horses
Blackadder
Red Dwarf
Father Ted
It aint half hot mum
Family guy 1-5
Phoenix nights
Max and paddy road to no where

:D

Associate
Mine is broke, I might buy a new drive for xmas i got my dvd collection i need backed up so no other way really. Has anyone got a recoomendation? In the old days custompc would do a monthy build with low med high and tell you what was cool but i got no idea at the minute.

I am backing up from DVD boxsets for preservation:

:D

You could just get any of the internal or external DVD drives on OCUK and be fine.

Or if you want blu ray I use the Pioneer BDXL that OCUK sell, can burn up to 128GB single write or 100GB re-writable discs, you could back up multiple DVDs per disc that way.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pion...iter-optical-disk-drive-retail-cd-08c-po.html

Found buying the actual re-writable 100GB discs harder to find, OCUK don't sell any, even UK version of major selling site sells 3 Sony Japan ones delivered at approx £10 per 100GB disc, so they're expensive but that's a lot of secondary storage for rewritable discs. Low amount amount of clutter compared to DVD capacity.

Also seen the best type of single write archive blu rays are rated for over 600 years, I think they still have value for very long lasting archive storage as well.

Permabanned
You could just get any of the internal or external DVD drives on OCUK and be fine.

Or if you want blu ray I use the Pioneer BDXL that OCUK sell, can burn up to 128GB single write or 100GB re-writable discs, you could back up multiple DVDs per disc that way.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pion...iter-optical-disk-drive-retail-cd-08c-po.html

Found buying the actual re-writable 100GB discs harder to find, OCUK don't sell any, even UK version of major selling site sells 3 Sony Japan ones delivered at approx £10 per 100GB disc, so they're expensive but that's a lot of secondary storage for rewritable discs. Low amount amount of clutter compared to DVD capacity.

Also seen the best type of single write archive blu rays are rated for over 600 years, I think they still have value for very long lasting archive storage as well.

Thanks this would maybe be the best solution as i simply want to preserve and watch them anytime without wearing the disks. So i may actually go for this one you linked. £10 a disc is fine by me in total i only need one and the ability to playback Blurays.

I guess doing one single 128gb backup and buying a 128gb usb pen would be the best overall choice, This way i can have two copies and still retain the masters. I did think about doing it all on USB but i would still require BD playback.

Soldato
I have never purchased a disc in any format for 10 years now.

I got my mac about >7 years ago (i think) and it didn't come with a drive! I remember my mate saying, why are you buying that doesn't even come with a dvd drive to watch movies. I recall saying 'I don't watch movies from dvds' :rolleyes:

It's only required for xbox/ps because the digital games are so expensive.

Associate
Also a big part of consoles keeping disc drives is allowing games to gifted physically and loaned and swapped, etc. Basically keeping high street gaming stores on life support.

I'm definitely impressed by the archival single write M Discs the more I read about them. They can take some beating and still be fine, use stone instead of dye in their construction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

http://www.mdisc.com/

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag...-uk.org.uk/mag/artsep16/mol-mdisc-review.html

One 100GB M Disc could conceivably store a whole family's lifetime of photos for hundreds of years. So much better than SSD for long term storage it seems.

Back
Top Bottom