And boomers wonder why millennials are bitter towards them..

Associate
I think that you are right there.

I know of two "professional" couples who are renting one-bedroom flats and are of necessity now spending a lot of time working from a cramped home.

In both cases they are on the market to buy larger properties. A significant factor is that they can now live further from their offices and are looking in lower priced, more congenial areas with fast broadband availability.

If WFH remains widespread (as is likely) we'll probably see city and country prices 'even out' a bit.

Caporegime
It'll probably end up not nattering if you own or don't.

In the end pension will be means tested.
If you have nothing you'll get something

If you have a lot you'll get nothing

Inheritance will shrink until you get to the super rich. But a middle class family won't have much to pass To thier kids.

Great. Who cares if you rent or own.. Doesn't matter

The risk of course is that the gov don't provide for you if you have nothing and you die once you you can no longer work

Associate
Thoughout all this I've wondered about the future of city centre tiny overpriced flats. Who wants to live there if you can work remote?

I guess some people like that?

I like living in the city, I like to walk everywhere and my main hobby is street photography. Totally agreed with you on the overpriced flats though, the former would only be a deciding factor if I could get a house just out of the centre

Caporegime
Even man of people Marcus Rashford is in the but to let game. As if footballers don't earn enough that they need to do this to boost their income. He's on £200k a week.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-bought-five-luxury-homes-worth-2million.html

Who cares how much he earns?

Jeff bezos earns literally billions a day yet pays his employees Slave labour in terms of wages, targets and hours.

He could have a career ending injury happen at any moment with a dodgy tackle, trip or movement.

Plenty of footballers and sports people have went bankrupt.

Maradona, Mike Tyson, Boris Becker and Dennis Rodman who were all levels above rashford within their respected fields have went broke.

Evander holyfield earned nearly 400 million dollars during his career and went broke.

So your argument that he doesn't need the money or security doesn't really hold weight if someone who made 400 million went broke within a decade after retirement.

Capodecina
Soldato
According to the Mail on Sunday:
Marcus Rashford has ploughed an estimated £1.5 million into three houses in Cheshire
-and/or-​
five luxury homes worth more than £2million.
Numbers and accuracy don't feature much in the Mail's claims to fame :rolleyes:

Soldato
According to the Mail on Sunday:Numbers and accuracy don't feature much in the Mail's claims to fame :rolleyes:

...You've omitted the second half of that sentence which explains it.

"has ploughed an estimated £1.5 million into three houses on a new estate in Wilmslow, Cheshire, as well as buying a house and flat in Macclesfield."

Soldato
Buy to let is a scourge on society. I hope one day to see it made significantly less profitable.
Look into buying a second home for buy to let. They've already done plenty to make it less profitable. Or at least, less profitable for the plebs to invest in. If you're already a landlord who didn't have to jump through these hoops then you're sitting pretty.

Soldato
Soldato
Helping others and ensuring that he has a financially secure future after his sporting career ends? He’s literally Hitler, isn’t he?
Buy to let is a scourge on society. I hope one day to see it made significantly less profitable.
I think is the point being made. Or is it different if you've made yourself popular by lobbying the Government.

I don't think many people would blame him for investing his earnings wisely. However, isn't that the whole point of this thread? He's just doing what a number of folks have already done - these so called Boomers you're all up in arms about for ruining your lives.

Associate
I've seen his statement on this - my interpretation is that, having seen the unfairness of intergenerational wealth, he's trying to put his family on the right side of it. A wage ends, capital endures

I would have hoped he would take a moral stance instead, all things considered

Back
Top Bottom