• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Associate
I've changed my vote in the poll from "S" as I am now looking to get an X.

Mrs. EMarkM has realised that she would still use the bluray drive on it, plus we have convinced each other that the X will be a little more "future proof".

With that said, we have a 1080P Hitachi TV and a Panasonic sound bar. Our current setup is the TalkTalk box goes into the sound bar's subwoofer/main unit thingy via HDMI, which then goes to the TV, and the PS4 goes direct to another HDMI port on the TV. Switching inputs on the TV then automatically switches inputs on the sound system, and all works well enough.

I've heard about a few folk having both video and sounds issues with their new Xboxes - is there anything I specifically need to look out for or change when we swap the PS4 into an Xbox, or is it just a question of "suck it and see"?

Soldato
Questions been asked why their S coverage came so late. I think I may skip this one though as I am realising DF care about the wrong things for me, they over emphasise on graphics.

To be fair he does say that the S is more about gameplay than graphics, I get the impression that he does rather like it but the lack of enhanced backward compatible games leaves it feeling a bit underwhelming at the moment due to so few Series S/X games.

Its probably one of the more balanced reviews / comparisons out there.

Caporegime
OP
The only real negative Richard has is the SSD space. He points out that you are bound to run out sooner rather than later and the expensive cart is the price difference between S and X. It's a shame because if the Series S came with the same 1TB SSD, it would be just perfect.

If you are only using it as a game pass console though, a handful of games at a time then delete them, it's not really an issue. It's only if you keep multiple service games like Call of Duty at 100GB+ that you're going to have problems.

Soldato
That is pretty much why they exist.

Ended up watching it, maybe someone had a word in his ear, he was very positive, also there is a BC patch coming on one S games to boost them to 60fps.

@ic1male yeah, sadly he failed to point out one could stick a cheap usb storage device in there, to increase offline storage, end of day you only need enough space to run one game at a time.

Also an update I found someone with the same booting up issues as me, he fixed it via using a hdmi 2.0 cable instead of 2.1, I think I have one spare somewhere so will try it out.

Soldato
If you are only using it as a game pass console though, a handful of games at a time then delete them, it's not really an issue.
This is me. I can't see me ever actually buying a game for the S, just juggling a few game pass downloads. I've got 6-7 games installed which is more than enough to flick through on a second console.

Associate
Having watched a few review videos of all the new Xbox and PS5 versions, it's pretty clear that MS did an absolutely incredible job on the cooling and acoustics for the S and the X models.

Both are significantly more quiet than the PS5 under load, heralding a return to virtually silent consoles like the truly silent N64. Both Sony and MS have put out some absolute wind bags in terms of noise in past consoles but it seems MS were more focused on silence this time round.

The simple and functional designs of the Xboxs make the PS5 design look like a bit of white elephant as it's clearly not been designed for maximum cooling or acoustics, even some videos seen coil whine coming off the PS5s.

I think in terms of of the lesser regarded aspects of a console, IE: its noise. MS have definitely done a better job this time round, I could see both the MS consoles case designs even being good for an HTPC.

Likely wasn't going to get either of the PS5 or Xbox due to noise, but now will consider an Xbox X now having seen how quiet they run.

Soldato
Having watched a few review videos of all the new Xbox and PS5 versions, it's pretty clear that MS did an absolutely incredible job on the cooling and acoustics for the S and the X models.

Both are significantly more quiet than the PS5 under load, heralding a return to virtually silent consoles like the truly silent N64. Both Sony and MS have put out some absolute wind bags in terms of noise in past consoles but it seems MS were more focused on silence this time round.

The simple and functional designs of the Xboxs make the PS5 design look like a bit of white elephant as it's clearly not been designed for maximum cooling or acoustics, even some videos seen coil whine coming off the PS5s.

I think in terms of of the lesser regarded aspects of a console, IE: its noise. MS have definitely done a better job this time round, I could see both the MS consoles case designs even being good for an HTPC.

Likely wasn't going to get either of the PS5 or Xbox due to noise, but now will consider an Xbox X now having seen how quiet they run.

Even though the S is confirmed to be the hottest out of the 3 (and mine does get hot), it is very quiet as you said.

Back
Top Bottom