Demon Souls PS5 Beginners Thread

Soldato
I'm having so much trouble in shrine of storms 4-2

I accidentally killed the NPC vendor, I've died in human form a lot and I've already killed the prime evil demon.

so now I'm pure black and nothing is working, I've farmed a ton of the red phantoms, I've been summoned and helped other to kill the boss but still it stays Pure Black

is it bugged am I screwed?

Soldato
I think i read buepoint removed the global tendency feature in the remake. I tried doing the trick where you log in and out a few times, as in the original game each time you log in you'd move more towards neutral but it doesn't work anymore.

I managed to finally kill the old hero last night, I was about ready to smash the controller prior to that after dying about 20 times - I even spent hours farming souls from reapers to get up to SL100 and still that boss was one hitting me and I have a ****** shield thats easy to guard break.

But eventually I killed him and I had 10hp left lol - took 15 direct hit fireballs and a ton of dodging. This area was ridiculously tough, the whole pure black things is so unfair tbh, it basically puts the whole archstone into new game+ regardless of how low your SL is.

Even just getting to the boss was a massive pain in the ass, the ghost things with the green laser beam would one shot me, the soul blast from the reapers would one shot me, the green daggers from the flying manta rays would one shot me, the red phantoms would one shot me.

What a massive relief to be done, but now I have to finish the last area of this archstone, hopefully its easier - my game is still in pure black :(

I've played and finished all the dark souls games and bloodborne, but this area - shrine of storms in pure black is the hardest thing I've ever had to do in a videogame

Last edited:
Soldato
oh and I want to add a tip for anyone else: kill Old Hero alone. This boss totally bugs out if you summon other players and caused me to get killed a lot - the boss is supposed to be deaf, but if you have summons you can go stand in a corner and do nothing and the boss will just randomly turn around and jump right across the room and smash into you as if you were running around - apparently this is a known bug in the original game but its never been fixed. If you do the boss alone you can walk slowly around the room and he won't target you but if you try this in a group he'll just turn around and jump ontop of you

This bugs exist because this remake still uses the original game's code, they just added some things on top - I noticed the old game's textures are still there as well, a couple times in world 1-4 I loaded too fast when moving between bonfires and the game's old textures were present for a second and then the new ones loaded.

Associate
You can kill Old Hero super easily by just standing behind the alter and shooting him with arrows. Shoot->Wait until he roars->repeat. If you shoot too quickly he will attack you.

Associate
Finally did the 4-2 area last night. Died lots to the reapers magic attacks but after getting past the last one it's not bad. Didn't have an issue with the boss.

Going for the man eater and the swamp tonight, heard bad things about the man eaters though hehe. I did hear they're easy if you get firestorm spell from the witch so may try get that first from 1-3.

Soldato
OP
I've had a good run. I spent some time upgrading my equipment. I'm finding my dragon sword +4 owning most things. Got a few other swords for magic and normal damage.

5 bosses left.

Associate
Finally did the 4-2 area last night. Died lots to the reapers magic attacks but after getting past the last one it's not bad. Didn't have an issue with the boss.

Going for the man eater and the swamp tonight, heard bad things about the man eaters though hehe. I did hear they're easy if you get firestorm spell from the witch so may try get that first from 1-3.

Ha, I got firestorm. I tested it out but I was to close to the witch and she died lol.

Associate
The first time I played it I made the mistake of making my character too rounded and not great at anything. About halfway though I started a new build and just focused on the items I needed.
I quickly got back to where I was with all the prior knowledge.

Soldato

now do 4-2 in pure black :)

After finishing it, I'm cruising through the game now, every other area feels extremely easy - every boss in 5 was super easy

Soldato
I've only used it once and it one-shotted a boss..

that spell is extremely OP as heck, just get close to a boss, dodge their attack and stand behind so you have a second or two to cast and boom 3000 damage...

only thing more OP is using the blueblood sword and the gold coin glitch to get 1 million luck that makes that sword do 20000 damage hits

Soldato
I’ve killed my first ever demon/dark souls boss. Hurrah! :)
Went the Templar Knight route, finding the Halberd a little tricky because of it hitting walls but it seems good for most stuff when going 1H or 2H.
Been sending the Unknown Souls things to storage, I’m assuming that’s the safe option rather than potentially losing them when dying / dying again?

Soldato
OP
now do 4-2 in pure black :)

After finishing it, I'm cruising through the game now, every other area feels extremely easy - every boss in 5 was super easy

Yes, same here. Finished all of 4. Old hero second attempt. Glad I don't need to go back to 4 ever again.

I'm now facing the penultimate boss. Seems quite tough tbf. Its been a journey .

Associate
What’s best world to do after 1-1 ? Tried 1-2 but I haven’t got magic so getting wrecked off the tower knight especially in souls form with not as much health :D

Yeah do 1.2 the knight is really easy, just stay by his feet and hack away, don't lock on so you can roll away from the power attack.

If you really are stuck do it in this order | 2-1 | 4-1 | 3-1 | 5-1. Then back to 1-2.

Soldato
that spell is extremely OP as heck, just get close to a boss, dodge their attack and stand behind so you have a second or two to cast and boom 3000 damage...

only thing more OP is using the blueblood sword and the gold coin glitch to get 1 million luck that makes that sword do 20000 damage hits

Well I tried it on the final boss last night and.. unfortunately it didn't seem to do the trick. That one is tough!

Associate
I’ve killed my first ever demon/dark souls boss. Hurrah! :)
Went the Templar Knight route, finding the Halberd a little tricky because of it hitting walls but it seems good for most stuff when going 1H or 2H.
Been sending the Unknown Souls things to storage, I’m assuming that’s the safe option rather than potentially losing them when dying / dying again?

All the souls apart from boss ones you can use to level up, consuming them gives you souls depending on the type. Boss souls however are used to either make special weapons or buy spells. You can only use them once so if you spend them early on a spell you can't buy the other (potentially better) one later on. Use wiki to show what each soul can buy before spending it or you may regret your choice. For instance you can buy fireball early but can't buy firestorm if you do. You can also just use the boss souls for more souls. Another tip is you can store them and don't need to have them on you to trade/use same as the ore shards/chunks etc. Saves weight.

Warding and second chance make bosses easy mode. Just got to do some tendency stuff and the last boss now (heard he can de-level you with one of his moves :eek:).

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I keep eyeing this game up but can’t bring myself to purchase it.

Sounds great, sounds really tough though and I’m not sure I have the patience, especially not at £60.

One to pick up once it drops in price perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom