When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Will Skoda be tarnished by software issues like the ID3 - (saw hotuk had some £26K 'deals')
if not, then maybe some ID3 issues were hardware/software (battery drain sounds like it could be) and lessons/re-design occurred.

Soldato
Will Skoda be tarnished by software issues like the ID3 - (saw hotuk had some £26K 'deals')
if not, then maybe some ID3 issues were hardware/software (battery drain sounds like it could be) and lessons/re-design occurred.

I'd really like to hope not. If you work on the basis that the initial (and indeed ongoing) teething troubles with the iD3 will be ironed out for the El born and the Enyac by the time they hit the dealers for collection. If not, VAG could miss the boat because Tesla are not standing still, PSA have a pretty decent range of cars and vans now, Mercedes seem to have been pretty trouble free and the Koreans are launching their 'phase 2' platform from late next year. Honda seem to have their first product launched successfully and I have no doubt that when the other Japanese manufacturers go fully electric they will be very competent. So VAG really has to get this sorted out, and fast. I don't see why they can't. They're a huge organization and they have the resources to get it right, so hopefully they will use those resources and they won't lose any more of their valuable brand integrity.

Soldato

Yeah just to echo the above. Hopefully they will be ironed out, well at least by March when I will be in the hunt for a car all being well! :p

Soldato
Thinking along the lines that , the vag audi e-tron hasn't received bad publicity, seems vag are deploying audi resources
https://autodailynews.co/2020/12/01/vw-group-uses-audi-to-catch-tesla-on-evs-software/

Diess has tasked Audi with key roles to develop and share software and electric-car parts across VW’s stable of 12 brands. That puts the division at the forefront of building up competencies the CEO sees as pivotal to surviving disruption by Tesla and other companies racing to bring battery-powered and autonomous vehicles to market.
etc

so in the mid-term, help is on the way.

Soldato
What are the issues with VAG electric cars?

I sat watching an Audi eTron charging up at a fast charger all the way up to 100% (gotta Love Audi drivers EV etiquette). The last 10% seemed as fast as the rest of the charge. I can't imagine those cells would be in a good state in a few years.

Soldato
What are the issues with VAG electric cars?

I sat watching an Audi eTron charging up at a fast charger all the way up to 100% (gotta Love Audi drivers EV etiquette). The last 10% seemed as fast as the rest of the charge. I can't imagine those cells would be in a good state in a few years.

Its specifically the ID range, it’s plagued by buggy software that just doesn’t work and causes all kinds of issues including not being able to drive the car. The car was delayed by 6 months and still didn’t work, they had to deliver them or face a huge fine from the EU due to fleet emissions.

Nothing really wrong with the etron other than it absolutely chunders electrons so has a terrible range for the battery pack size. It’s just too expensive for what it is (IMO).

It’s a converted ICE chassis so you get strange anomalies like a gear tunnel in the rear seats and a few other ICE leftovers, those are pretty minor though but make explain some of its efficiency issues.

Soldato
It's not 'looking down on people' it's just about the fact that charging to from 20% to 80% usually takes the same length of time as charging 80% to 100% so it significantly blocks a charger for no good reason. You don't save any time ultimately.

But the eTron isn't exactly a shining example of a BEV. Type "Audi eTron issues" into Youtube and there are plenty of issues. But more fundamental ones really about build quality and usability of the product. I certainly wouldn't be rushing to put money into an eTron at the moment. But what do I know, I'm currently 'enjoying' a Hyundai Kona and it's not bad at all really. Just the ultimate example of how to badly package an interior.

Soldato
The informed answers 80%, no ? if you have put your own money into the car, unless you are genuinely going on a long journey

Soldato
When should i stop charging my phone and laptop to avoid such issues?

It's a nonsense. It's partly because the original BEVs had no top and bottom buffer capacity so if Nissan said the car had a 30kW battery it really was a 30kW battery. So if you charged it to 100% you degraded some cells and if you let it run down to zero you degraded some cells. Now the manufacturers have gotten smart to that and so a car with a claimed 64kW capacity actually has a capacity of 68kW or 70kW and they use the 'spare' capacity to make up for any cell degradation over time. As battery management software gets better and they implement battery heating then you'll find these guidelines about always running between 20% and 80% disappear. And I'll be frank. As a company car driver, I don't really care what happens to the car when it's 3 years old and I hand it back. If by charging from 5% to 100% I reduce the capacity of the battery by 5% in years 7 and 8 of the car's life then that's not my issue. I'm paying to use the car to it's full abilities. Not baby it for it's subsequent owners.

Soldato
Only if you're worried about the batteries after the warranty runs out.
maybe- but, like not revving your car when cold, there's a mechanical sympathy aspect, the manner in which an ev has been used will become important for the second hand market,
I'm assuming the telematics will show the manufacturer this battery aspect of usage, and they could price cars accordingly.
- but you're speaking to someone who has an old laptop battery, perpetually at 100%, for in house use and a better battery, non-thrashed, for going out/autonomy

Soldato
It's a nonsense. It's partly because the original BEVs had no top and bottom buffer capacity so if Nissan said the car had a 30kW battery it really was a 30kW battery.
That's simply not true.

Oh so this is going to be a thing too is it? Looking down on people who want to fully charge?
It's not a 'thing'. And I sat there patiently and didn't complain. It's just bad luck that I needed a 5 minute top up to get home at the same time as someone is plugged in to the only charger in the area to get their weekly charge for their new EV.

Soldato
That's one of the benefits of the Tesla iron phosphate batteries they're doing in china, they can be charged to 100% without issues, they also charge faster. So these problems will probably be either ironed out by better battery management and buffers or go away entirely with newer 'better' chemistries by the time the masses need to worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom