Anyone here work in advertising?

Permabanned
I run a small website and I have received an email from a national company wanting to pay to have an article published.

They want to know how much I charge.

I don't want to be greedy but how do I determine a fair price?

Does anyone in this field have any advice please?

Soldato
tenor.gif

Permabanned
OP
What are they paying you for? Are you publishing the article on your website, or do they want you to do something else? Impossible gauge without knowing what work is actually entailed.

They want to pay for an article to be published on my website, I assume they will send the copy and images and I will just publish it.

Soldato
They want to pay for an article to be published on my website, I assume they will send the copy and images and I will just publish it.

There are quite a few variables to take into account when working out a figure:
  • Your site's reputation (if any) in its related field
  • Monthly traffic to your site
  • The Domain Authority of your site
  • Are they linking to a product/products on their site or is it just an awareness campaign to increase inbound links for SEO purposes
  • Are they expecting the article to stay published for ever (relatively) or is this a short-term promotion?

That's just off the top of my head.

Permabanned
OP
Thank
There are quite a few variables to take into account when working out a figure:
  • Your site's reputation (if any) in its related field
  • Monthly traffic to your site
  • The Domain Authority of your site
  • Are they linking to a product/products on their site or is it just an awareness campaign to increase inbound links for SEO purposes
  • Are they expecting the article to stay published for ever (relatively) or is this a short-term promotion?

That's just off the top of my head.
Thanks for the info.

It is a national company on behalf of the local authority promoting healthy lifestyles, so it as an article to encompass that linking to a website basically.

They want it live for up to a month.

In terms of traffic, I am averaging 6000 unique users per month, 18,000 pageviews.

Soldato
Thank

Thanks for the info.

It is a national company on behalf of the local authority promoting healthy lifestyles, so it as an article to encompass that linking to a website basically.

They want it live for up to a month.

In terms of traffic, I am averaging 6000 unique users per month, 18,000 pageviews.

Ok cool — are they asking you to promote the article across your social media channels as well?

This post is quite helpful in giving you an idea of what other bloggers are charging for sponsored content.

If you work on a cost of £0.025 per unique user (a rule of thumb I've seen elsewhere) you get £150.

That tallies with the linked article which suggests £100–£150 for 5,000–7,000 users.

For 10,000–15,000 page views/month, it suggests between £100 and £250+

I would say £100–£150 would be reasonable, plus a bit more if you're also sharing it on social media and you have a decent following.

Capodecina
Soldato

18,000 page views per month is not much. Just do a search on the company to check that they're legit first. They may be fine, but check it out. There are lots of bogus companies out there that prey on smaller sites and individuals who don't know any better.

I used to run a site which got 1k-2k page views per day at its height and we never got contacted re something like this, though maybe yours is just better content.

Permabanned
OP
Ok cool — are they asking you to promote the article across your social media channels as well?

This post is quite helpful in giving you an idea of what other bloggers are charging for sponsored content.

If you work on a cost of £0.025 per unique user (a rule of thumb I've seen elsewhere) you get £150.

That tallies with the linked article which suggests £100–£150 for 5,000–7,000 users.

For 10,000–15,000 page views/month, it suggests between £100 and £250+

I would say £100–£150 would be reasonable, plus a bit more if you're also sharing it on social media and you have a decent following.
Thanks very much for that.

They have asked just for an article on the website but as a sweetener, I have offered to promote it once per week, per my sites corresponding social media pages of that makes sense.

I have gone back and pitched it slightly under that.

18,000 page views per month is not much. Just do a search on the company to check that they're legit first. They may be fine, but check it out.

I used to run a site which got 1k-2k page views per day at its height and we never got contacted re something like this, though maybe yours is just better content.
They are legit, I was quite shocked who it was asking when I saw the email footer. :)

The website is a hobby, to be honest, I never considered advertising so to speak hence the question on here.

Soldato
Thanks very much for that.

They have asked just for an article on the website but as a sweetener, I have offered to promote it once per week, per my sites corresponding social media pages of that makes sense.

I have gone back and pitched it slightly under that.

No worries and good luck with it. :)

Back
Top Bottom