Shucking a WD elements external drive for Synology

Associate
Doesn’t appear so, but do keep an eye on Hot UK Deals... Also, a price tracking website like CamelCamelCamel can email you with an alert when the price drops. Happy shopping!

Soldato
^^^ Thanks, set up my alerts now.
Seems that this is the year of alerts, rather than stock..!

With the "limitations" of drive bays for my N54L I'm edging more towards higher capacity shucked drives. Let's see what Monday brings.

Soldato
^^^ Thanks for that. I paid £149.99 for the WD Elements I have just shucked, see my posts above.
At around £15 per TB seems a reasonable price to pay for an External but at £13.75 per TB is a very good price, as was the 12TB Elements.

There is a Seagate 8TB for £109, nice price and I'm still deliberating on that one. £13.62 per TB. Deliberating as I would like the 10 or 12TB options.

Soldato
My news NAS is up and running, just copying data across which is gonna take a while ;)

Had a bit of a headache with some mini SAS cable didn’t realise you need SATA (host) to SFF-8463 (target) cable, I just though it’s was all the same!

Soldato
My news NAS is up and running, just copying data across which is gonna take a while ;)

Had a bit of a headache with some mini SAS cable didn’t realise you need SATA (host) to SFF-8463 (target) cable, I just though it’s was all the same!

lol I bet that it is going to take a while....! It took me a while to almost fill the 10TB disk.

Well done with your new build.

Associate
I’m in the process of upgrading my Plex server which has no raid at the moment and running 6x4tb reds. Looking to run an separate NAS to back up the other server and already shucked 2x12tb enterprise and got white drives.

In sales bought 2 more to shuck and got 2 x 20TB WD My Book Duo for £350 each, they had 2x10Tb reds. The top pops off and drives lift out easily.

Soldato
Got my 14TB WD elements today - £13.5/TB. Shucked and it is White drive.

Required molex to SATA connector to power up.

It is a lot quieter than my Ironwolf which it is replacing.

Last edited:
Soldato
So a straight forward SATA power connector won't work?
Depend on your PSU. Mine is a pico psu. So I have to power it from molex. New PSU should be straight plug and play.

the drive is 5400rpm. If that bothers then maybe wait for the Xbox WD D10. But I find 5400rpm drives are really good for NAS or compact builds. Less noise and way less heat.

my Ironwolf was running at 43c peak. Where this drive atm is only 37c peak.

Mine will be an EVGA 500W ATX PSU, standard affair. 5400rpm is perfect, it's going in a NAS build so ideal for what I have in mind.

Just debating 2 or 4... logic says 2 as I'm only running a 12TB usable array at the moment and 2 would give me the same capacity with redundancy and 4 less spindles... but then I'll have to migrate the data down the line. Arg, wrong side of Christmas!

Soldato
Raid 6 for 4 drives?

large raids using this sort of capacity disk will probably result in something failing during raid rebuild if one of the drive fails or the NAS bay is dodgy (qnap).

Raid 6 for 4 drives?

large raids using this sort of capacity disk will probably result in something failing during raid rebuild if one of the drive fails or the NAS bay is dodgy (qnap).

Fair, I'm used to 3TB drives in a Synology so this is my first foray into larger storage drives. What would be your suggestion? I'm building a machine to consolidate NAS/server so I have 4x3.5" bays at my disposal.

It will if you put a bit of kapton tape over the 3rd pin.

So that's a must on these drives? I've read that some previous WD drives needed this treatment.

Soldato
Fair, I'm used to 3TB drives in a Synology so this is my first foray into larger storage drives. What would be your suggestion? I'm building a machine to consolidate NAS/server so I have 4x3.5" bays at my disposal.

depend on your storage capacity 4 disk usually do either 10 or 5 to get max capacity. For 4 bay stick to 6-8tb drives.

If you really want 14TB drives I would stick with 10. Faster and you have at least 1 drive redundancy. You get 28TB.

Back
Top Bottom