**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Associate
Don't know what the framerates are sorry but it's very smooth. I have a 9700k CPU at 5ghz and my 3090 is a gigabyte gaming oc. Terrain resolution is ultra, and all other settings combination of high and medium. 150 for terrain data, 120 for buildings. So long as you don't fly in mega cities it's smooth as a babies bum. Oh render scale at 80, which on G2 is just about perfect. Airliners and third party aircraft, Mooney in my case, take a frame rate hit but not too bad.

Thx for sharing your settings i have pretty much same setup as you but runing the 3080 OC model and 32GB of ram

Associate
Running most things on High/Very High and a few Ultras on an I7 10750, 32gb (3200mhz) and a RTX 2060

Thanks, I’ve already got the game and get good performance about 45fps on high settings at 1440p. Just wondered whether the faster CPU would help with VR or whether it’s down to a the GPU. I’m hoping they aren’t expecting people to have the absolute fastest components to make the VR option feasible etc.

Associate
Mind you without dampening the excitement around VR, I really hope the release candidate is more reliable. Takes me at least 3 attempts to enable vr. Crash to desktop otherwise. Normally not a big issue but as you well know fs2020 takes so bloody long to load! Currently on attempt 3! Annoying

Soldato
Hi all

Does anyone know what the anticipated DX12 update will actually bring to this game? Better multi threading, better framerates for a given visual quality, something else?

They have mentioned raytracing in previous videos, though in what capacity hasn’t been specified...

Other than that you can only make an educated guess - given they are going to be trying to get it to run as well as possible on the Xbox Series X which uses DX12U one would assume they would be likely to try and use all the optimisations available like VRS, sampler feedback, mesh shading etc. All of which should allow better performance while maintaining visual fidelity.

DX12 won’t magically make it better with more CPU cores unfortunately.

Soldato
Pretty sure they said they were waiting on DX12 for some effects too, like water interaction when using the Icon IIRC.

Soldato
It does enable them to make use of more cores though. DX11 doesn't really scale past 4 cores IIRC, whereas DX12 does support multiple threads, so hopefully they can work it to do so.

That’s simply not true though - case in point star citizen is still currently DX11 and uses every single one of my 24 threads in a meaningful way... DX12 may make it slightly easier to support multiple cores but it certainly isn’t automatically going to improve a game’s GPU utilisation vs DX11, the devs still need to put the work into safely moving things off the main thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only just played this but wow it’s amazing!

Struggling to balance quality vs fps on a 3080/3800x at 4k. Are there any good settings guides?

Soldato
Only just played this but wow it’s amazing!

Struggling to balance quality vs fps on a 3080/3800x at 4k. Are there any good settings guides?

Fair to say MSFS is a constantly moving target as they are regularly updating and optimising, but most of this will still be relevant:

Soldato
Even a 4080Ti may struggle by then at max - raytracing will come next year, I imagine at 4k max settings in this game even next gen hardware will struggle at 4k native.

They’ve stated it’s a 10+yr game for them so expect it to be updated to continue to murder your hardware for the foreseeable :D

Soldato
Saitek x52 pro flight control system any good? Anyone used one?
Cheaper thrust master is out of stock everywhere unfortunately and thinking of this one instead.

Edit this is now out of stock...bah

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone know if there are any in-game tutorials/training/instructors for different aircraft?

I mean, apart from the base-game Cessna ones? The tutorials by Squirrel on youtube are great, but was hoping to find something in-game.

Thanks.

Soldato
Does anyone know if there are any in-game tutorials/training/instructors for different aircraft?

I mean, apart from the base-game Cessna ones? The tutorials by Squirrel on youtube are great, but was hoping to find something in-game.

Thanks.

Not sure if you want to spend money, but I did just see this mentioned on the main forums - no idea how good it is.

https://www.fsflyingschool.com/

Back
Top Bottom