• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to beat the scalpers and get a 3080/6800xt

Soldato
30-Series-Orders.jpg

Not at all impossible, just have to react quickly! Prices are ex-VAT due to being in Guernsey before anyone calls me out on those being fake.

A 3080 for less than 600 seems legit

Soldato
Out of interest, being on Guernsey, does that mean you tend to shop in France, UK or mixture?

Always from the UK, we're not part of the United Kingdom, but get perks as a crown dependency such as free shipping (Royal Mail covers us). If we were to buy from the continent we would have to pay more for shipping, and be victim to the same exchange rate fluctuations which plague OcUK ;)

Soldato
Indeed, the problem is that many of the stock drops are well above MSRP even from so called reputable retailers. I could have had a 3080 a few times over if I was prepared to pay well above MSRP by 15% - 20% or more in many cases. It takes people to be patient and not jump on the first GPU that appears at "well it's only £150 - £200 extra". So when a £600 - £650 GPU becomes a ~£750 - £850 GPU people can hardly claim "it easy to get one if you know how". Not that I am accusing you of this.

I did ironically end up with a 6800 ref from OCUK at £70 over MSRP, so I know it's so easy to say "sure it's only £70 more" but where is the cut off? I do understand it is diffrerent for everyone but when I see someone jump on a 3090 at £1600 because they lost patience I do kinda cringe, but each to their own.
I did pay RRP or at least close to it but did have to pay more than my OCUK pre order as the model discord ‘chose’ for me was a more premium model. Actually OCUK store has it for £50 more!

Yes given a 3090 is a 3080 I really can’t fathom why people will pay twice as much, other than to simply get their ‘3080’ faster.

Associate
I question the professionalism / good taste of anyone who flaunts their wealth in their signature when communicating with their customers, especially in the current scalping climate.

Associate
I question the professionalism / good taste of anyone who flaunts their wealth in their signature when communicating with their customers, especially in the current scalping climate.

Apologies if you're being ironic and it's gone sailing over my head, but isn't that a bit of a stretch? People who work at OCUK are salaried employees, and are entitled to hobbies / interests aren't they?

Associate
I managed to grab one using CtrlAltStock.com discord server. I was already monitoring the big high street retailer site using my own app - nothing fancy - just reading the page so see if Delivery Not Available changed to Free Delivery. That means they're in stock and I could try and get one manually before other sites sent out alerts - it saved me refreshing the page every 5 mins. Anyway while that happened there was a stock alert for an MSI Gaming X Trio on the rainforest for £736, clicked link straight away and managed to get one. Downside is delivery says 18th Jan, but I'm happy with that - I'm still waiting for my 5600x.

Hopefully others can be as lucky. Get on the CtrlAltStock Discord server and in the rtx3080 channel. Make sure you have accounts and are logged in on all the likely retailers. Also have an idea of the checkout process. On one major site there is an annoying Captcha Identify the images test so be ready for that. They had stock of FE cards today at RRP!! The major high street retailer sometimes asks you to confirm delivery address etc. Also know your credit card detaails off by heart. Others have said use PayPal, but it takles me longer to use that becuase of 2FA.

Soldato
gibbo said ocuk wernt selling stock till after Christmas, funny they are still selling 3090's and taking pre orders for them too. typical salesman if you ask me :D

My Zayde, Grandfather for the non yiddish speakers, Always said to me "Never trust someone that makes a living trying to sell something to you".

Caporegime
My Zayde, Grandfather for the non yiddish speakers, Always said to me "Never trust someone that makes a living trying to sell something to you".
Anybody can and will screw you over at any time, for any reason. What can you do? :p I don't even trust myself not to screw me over.

But yeah, a completely honest salesman is something of a rarity :p

Back
Top Bottom