The Tesla Thread

Soldato
I've owned an EV for a week - thanks for the encouragement from (presumably) a fellow owner.

Perhaps you missed where I wrote this?

And yes I'll have no problem admitting I did have a bit range anxiety when I anticipated potentially making a 60 mile trip with 90 miles of range in the pouring rain at 11PM at night. Who is to say what could have happened on that journey? :confused:

Perhaps with more experience and confidence that will dissipate but I'm just sharing my initial experience. With replies like yours, I and I'm sure many others be less inclined to ask for help and advice when it comes to EVs unfortunately. .

11pm and raining? My goodness. What could have happened? I mean REALLY? What could have happened? Probably you’d have driven carefully and got home with 35 miles worth of battery (still 10% on an M3 LR). Or you might have had to make a short diversion, get out of your car and plug it in. And wait 10 minutes. And I’m sure you don’t have a coat or umbrella or anything to cover up your pyjamas, as 11pm is obviously way past your bedtime.

If you actually have anything sensible to ask, I’m sure you’ll get a sensible answer, but if you spout excrement, do expect to get called out for it.

daz

daz

Soldato
11pm and raining? My goodness. What could have happened? I mean REALLY? What could have happened? Probably you’d have driven carefully and got home with 35 miles worth of battery (still 10% on an M3 LR). Or you might have had to make a short diversion, get out of your car and plug it in. And wait 10 minutes. And I’m sure you don’t have a coat or umbrella or anything to cover up your pyjamas, as 11pm is obviously way past your bedtime.

If you actually have anything sensible to ask, I’m sure you’ll get a sensible answer, but if you spout excrement, do expect to get called out for it.

Well aren't you full of festive cheer :) All the best to you and yours in 2021.

Associate
Hi Guys,

What kind of Wh/mi are you all getting?
I've had my car for 5 days now, and driven 293 miles so far with, wait for it... efficiency of 503wh/mi!

Granted, its a new car ( M3 LR with Aero's on ) and I've put my foot down a lot - but only on a number of occasions.
Reading other forums people seem to be getting around 300wh/mi average.

Is it my driving, or likely something wrong?

Soldato
That’s genuinely bad. When I had my M3 Performance I would routinely see 250Wh/mi and even the day I crashed it when I was literally full throttle/full brakes for about 12 miles I still have the picture with 390Wh/mi on the screen.

Are you doing 80mph+ on the motorway or something like that? They are best at the speed limit I find and once you start heading towards 90mph the efficiency plummets.

Associate
Sorry to hear about your crash!

I have the new 2021 model, with a heat pump and to be honest I would like to think what range I'd get without it!
Most of my driving is a mix of city / A roads with an occasional so far motorway trip.

Perhaps I need to try a couple of days of driving without putting my foot down at all to see what happens, but even now I think that is rather poor really - especially given the heat pump.

Soldato
Haha, 2mpkWh is E-tron levels of inefficiency. You'll have to get used to driving the car, it entirely different from what you are used to if you came straight from a a manual ICE car.

Associate
It's kind of a yes and no answer...

I commute to my office approx.. 30 miles away perhaps 2-3 times / week, other than that it's mainly short trips to the shops etc.
Since I've had the car 5 days ago and thanks to the novelty of the remote access I'd say there has probably been a handful of the "get into the a cold" car situations.

Having said that, I love the acceleration and to be honest I don't seem to hold back too much with it.
I'll perhaps drive for a couple of days in a more refined manner and see how it goes.

Is it fairly easy to in this weather push the car to the 500 Wh/Mi? I am guessing it is most likely my driving related.

Soldato
Short colds in the winter and good use of throttle I wouldn’t worry about it.

Otherwise you turn into one of those efficiency perverts. What really matters is your source of electricity. I’d rather use a thirsty wind powered IPACE than a gas powered Hyundai if I wanted to play the morales line.

After years in a Honda Insight I’m enjoying regen again :D the trick for efficient is to avoid regen, it’s not a magic round trip of energy to get it back to the wheels so you lose more.

Soldato
It's kind of a yes and no answer...

I commute to my office approx.. 30 miles away perhaps 2-3 times / week, other than that it's mainly short trips to the shops etc.
Since I've had the car 5 days ago and thanks to the novelty of the remote access I'd say there has probably been a handful of the "get into the a cold" car situations.

Having said that, I love the acceleration and to be honest I don't seem to hold back too much with it.
I'll perhaps drive for a couple of days in a more refined manner and see how it goes.

Is it fairly easy to in this weather push the car to the 500 Wh/Mi? I am guessing it is most likely my driving related.

You need to give more details what type of driving you’ve been doing.

If you’re warming up the car getting in and then driving two miles it will still impact energy usage even if it’s plugged in.

Hammering it doesn’t make much of a difference IME.

Soldato
I would normally agree but he's on 500Wh/mi. In a Tesla. That's really high energy usage. Unless I was cruising over 80mph I never saw it that bad.

It has to be something to do with heating the car up on the remote and then driving it.

If you’re warming up the car getting in and then driving two miles it will still impact energy usage even if it’s plugged in.

I'm open to correction but the efficiency figures shown by the car are reset after you unplug it. You would only see an impact if you heated the car static without being plugged in. Plugged in it just charges the battery slower.

Otherwise you turn into one of those efficiency perverts. What really matters is your source of electricity. I’d rather use a thirsty wind powered IPACE than a gas powered Hyundai if I wanted to play the morales line.

That might be the case if you're not going very far. But if you're off to Manchester from London 250Wh/mi will get you there and almost back whereas 500Wh/mi might not even get you to Manchester without a charge. It's a massive difference. The iPace gets away with being relatively inefficient because it has an enormous battery. The M3 LR doesn't so if you want to get anywhere near the claimed range you need to drive at the speed limit. You definitely don't need to draft trucks or coast slowly up to roundabouts on Regen 0 but just don't rag it everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Hi Guys,

What kind of Wh/mi are you all getting?
I've had my car for 5 days now, and driven 293 miles so far with, wait for it... efficiency of 503wh/mi!

Granted, its a new car ( M3 LR with Aero's on ) and I've put my foot down a lot - but only on a number of occasions.
Reading other forums people seem to be getting around 300wh/mi average.

Is it my driving, or likely something wrong?

Ignore the wh/mi

TRUST ME - change to %, not miles if you haven't already done so.

Drive the car when you need to, charge when you need to. It's really that simple.

Had my M3 for 15 months now and not once have I looked at wh/mi

Honestly - just drive the car, charge when you need it......Don't over complicate things.

What did you do with previous ICE car? Drove it, filled it up when needed....Did you review the MPG each trip?

Soldato
I'm open to correction but the efficiency figures shown by the car are reset after you unplug it. You would only see an impact if you heated the car static without being plugged in. Plugged in it just charges the battery slower.
My battery always used to deplete when heating even when plugged in.

i always thought this was taken into account when driving for the first time

Back
Top Bottom