**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Associate
All the photo textures look like PS1 textures when you get too close. The submerged boats are simply the 2d photo tile that Asobo/MS add water over the top of. Bit like a coral reef or costal areas where the sea/river bed shows through the water. Maybe one day their algorithms will get clever enough to understand these but not yet.

Soldato
What's the consensus for VR with this sim ? Worth getting, and if so, which VR device ? I'm not keen on having to link myself to Facebook, so that puts me off Oculus somewhat.

It’s amazing and horrendous all at once.

It’s the most immersive flying game I’ve played in VR, especially in weather it’s just incredible.

The performance however sucks balls. Even if you lower all the resolution to a blurry mess and visual settings down to potato mode you will struggle to maintain 45fps in all areas due to cpu limitations. Put the resolution to a half decent level and turn up a few visual settings and you’ll likely be around 30fps. You can use reprojection (if you have WMR as I believe their OpenXR runtime is currently the only once allowed 1:3 reprojection) to smooth things out but there is a lot of wobbling and shimmering that puts me off and I prefer to play without.

Thankfully I don’t suffer at all from VR sickness so it’s just irritating rather than show stopping for me.

If you don’t like Facebook then you only really have two current worthwhile options - an index or a G2.

Associate
It’s amazing and horrendous all at once.

It’s the most immersive flying game I’ve played in VR, especially in weather it’s just incredible.

The performance however sucks balls. Even if you lower all the resolution to a blurry mess and visual settings down to potato mode you will struggle to maintain 45fps in all areas due to cpu limitations. Put the resolution to a half decent level and turn up a few visual settings and you’ll likely be around 30fps. You can use reprojection (if you have WMR as I believe their OpenXR runtime is currently the only once allowed 1:3 reprojection) to smooth things out but there is a lot of wobbling and shimmering that puts me off and I prefer to play without.

Thankfully I don’t suffer at all from VR sickness so it’s just irritating rather than show stopping for me.

If you don’t like Facebook then you only really have two current worthwhile options - an index or a G2.

Thanks. Sounds like VR has a long way to go yet. I'm assuming the poor performance you are getting is despite using high-end hardware eg. RTX GPU etc ?

Soldato
@xaldub RTX3070, 3900X, 32gb 3600mhz CL14 ram and all on an m.2 drive... so middle-high end I suppose.

I think when they roll out DX12U it will be a significant help as that brings with it some great graphics optimisation tech (sampler feedback alone could be a significant VR boost, let alone the rest), potentially reduces some of the CPU dependencies and the work they will be doing to optimise the game for series X/S for the summer release will undoubtedly pay dividends too. There is of course undoubtedly more optimisation they could do in the mean time, and it would be good in terms of accessibility with older hardware if they could decouple the cockpits and world rendering like some other games do - that would allow you to have smooth and high resolution cockpit while sacrificing refresh rates and resolution where it is less immediately noticeable outside the aircraft. Don't know if that is viable with their engine though, may well not be.

To me it is the very definition of a beautiful mess, once the perf is sorted through optimisations and/or new tech it will be the definitive general VR flying experience in my mind without a shadow of a doubt.

For interest using my G2 I turned up the settings to 140% in game res, 100% OXR res, and turned up some of the settings to high/ultra - it was a positively beautiful image, but about 5-10fps lol.

Last edited:
Associate
@xaldub RTX3070, 3900X, 32gb 3600mhz CL14 ram and all on an m.2 drive... so middle-high end I suppose.

For interest using my G2 I turned up the settings to 140% in game res, 100% OXR res, and turned up some of the settings to high/ultra - it was a positively beautiful image, but about 5-10fps lol.

Ouch ! I have a similar setup except for a RTX 3090 - doesn't sound like that will help much, however. I can't wait for VR to become a mature technology ; in the meantime I guess I'll persevere with ultrawide/multiple monitors.

Associate
So I've been flying the TBM930 from cold start and got used to the procedure now. However I thought I'd try the Citation Longtitude and working through the cold startup both the RUN buttons (L&R) are already lit and I cant switch to STOP (it just flicks back to run) anyone have this issue ? as I cant start the engines on it as NG doesnt rise above 25.

Soldato
Ouch ! I have a similar setup except for a RTX 3090 - doesn't sound like that will help much, however. I can't wait for VR to become a mature technology ; in the meantime I guess I'll persevere with ultrawide/multiple monitors.

Depends on your tolerance to motion sickness... you could have an absolute blast with a 3090, and given the CPU limitations you could probably run it at very decent resolution given you can’t aim for over 45fps anyway.

If you were planning on picking up a VR headset anyway then it is well worth giving a go. If not maybe wait 6 months or so and DX12U and the series X version should be out by then, see if things have improved.

Associate
For VR if you can get the balance right for your setup (higher spec the better) it does look really good it took me about 10 hours to get it perfect and looking good on my rig..I fly the A320 mostly, I only fly in VR these days ~I love it

Associate

I have a 3090 too. VR in the G2 is mind blowing. Combination of medium to high settings and it's very smooth everywhere except big cities. Reprojection is on as it really has to be. There is a bit of wobbliness every now and again but the experience is just so amazing you don't notice. I tried on my monitor after and even with ultra settings on the monitor I just found the whole experience, well just flat actually. Your flying in VR is also way better. The whole thing is just more natural. I have nearly 10,000 hours in the real Airbus 320. I couldn't fly it for ++++ in msfs on a monitor. In VR it was like being at bloody work! I could fly it and land it in a way I'm used to doing at work. I even tried on numerous occasions to put my left hand on the sidestick, as I would do at work, only to remember I fly with a yoke at home. Basically I'm trying to say that VR is really rather good. Don't dismiss it, especially not with your hardware.

Soldato
I really want to enjoy MSFS....but the last few times I've tried to play it's just got me in a rage.

Got my CH Pro pedals today, was looking forward to some flying...but I've spent an hour and half now trying to figure what's causing hard locks of my system whenever I start the game....so many reboots.

Edit....patience officially run out with this sim. Some gear up in MM if anyone's interested

Last edited:
Soldato
I really want to enjoy MSFS....but the last few times I've tried to play it's just got me in a rage.

Got my CH Pro pedals today, was looking forward to some flying...but I've spent an hour and half now trying to figure what's causing hard locks of my system whenever I start the game....so many reboots.

Edit....patience officially run out with this sim. Some gear up in MM if anyone's interested

That’s weird.... I very rarely have any issues. Are you running any overclocks on anything?

Soldato
That’s weird.... I very rarely have any issues. Are you running any overclocks on anything?

I've tried without overclocks, firmware updates, bios updates, different drivers. I can count on one hand the number of times I've successfully completed a multi-hour flight. I've spent more time trying to get the damn thing working with all my peripherals than I have flying.

Stupid bugs as well like the the sim freezing for several seconds whenever my bluetooth keyboard wakes up, which is pretty much whenever ATC chime in.

On the odd occasion it does work flawlessly, it's sublime....but then I come back to it after an update, and my binds are gone again, or something else is broken. In this case, I add some rudder pedals that make it 100% hard lock my PC within a few minutes of launching (with an ear-splitting audio buzz, for good measure).

No problems with my PC in any other titles (5820k, 32gb, 2070).

Anyway, I'll be completely upgrading my system next year when you can actually buy PC equipment again, hopefully it's patched up a bit more and the VR has made some progress by then!

Associate
So today I’ve had my first try of MSFS in VR. I’m using the Quest 2 and must say from an immersion point of view it’s super impressive. I’m a little more than confused at all the different render scales however, I have OpenXR at 70% and the in game render resolution at 50% as per a guide I found. I’ve changed some of the Oculus settings in the debug tool to increase super sampling however my image is still very blurry. In the C152 I cannot make out any numbers etc on the dials however the sim is smooth! I just wonder how I can go about increasing the clarity of the image. I’m using an RTX3070 and Ryzen 3600 with 32GB RAM.

Soldato
So today I’ve had my first try of MSFS in VR. I’m using the Quest 2 and must say from an immersion point of view it’s super impressive. I’m a little more than confused at all the different render scales however, I have OpenXR at 70% and the in game render resolution at 50% as per a guide I found. I’ve changed some of the Oculus settings in the debug tool to increase super sampling however my image is still very blurry. In the C152 I cannot make out any numbers etc on the dials however the sim is smooth! I just wonder how I can go about increasing the clarity of the image. I’m using an RTX3070 and Ryzen 3600 with 32GB RAM.

Unfortunately as it currently stands you won’t be able to get eye bleeding clarity with a 3070 on this game as you have to undersample at the sort of resolutions the Quest2 demands to maintain playable frame rates.

The EFIS clarity seems to be majorly affected by the in game resolution slider, more so than other things... so if dealing with EFIS aircraft you want to run at 100% in game resolution ideally, and that will probably necessitate dropping back to 50-60% on OXR resolution depending on what your other settings are.

I have found 100% in game and 50% OXR to work quite well on the G2 and my 3070 - gives reasonable legibility of gauges and EFIS and maintains 30fps with some settings turned up a bit.

110-120% in game and 100% OXR gives really nice clarity but just not playable frame rates sadly...

Last edited:
Associate
I see, I will try those settings and see how I get on. I’ve got TAA selected however I’ve never seen so many jagged edges! I’m not too fussed about draw distance etc but I’d just like to make out the cockpit at least. If upgrading were an option what would you go for CPU or GPU? I’m hoping some Asobo optimisations will be coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom