• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Permabanned
I was lucky enough to be surprised with a Series X for Christmas and so far I’m loving it. I have had one issue though, and was wondering if anyone had experienced the same.

I was playing Cyberpunk (had originally refunded it but then purchased again when I got my Series X) and the console froze, then powered down by itself and the controller remained on. This has happened twice with Cyberpunk but no other game. Do you think this is a hardware or software issue?

Bit worried it’s on the way out lol.

Hmm we have been playing cyberpunk almost none stop since Christmas, both myself and boy two different profiles, not had that at all.

Is your Xbox in an enclosed space?

Associate
It’s horizontal as not enough room vertically but it has a few inches either side of ventilation space.

Quick edit - the heating was on full blast and the room was like a sauna when it happened.

Soldato
I was lucky enough to be surprised with a Series X for Christmas and so far I’m loving it. I have had one issue though, and was wondering if anyone had experienced the same.

I was playing Cyberpunk (had originally refunded it but then purchased again when I got my Series X) and the console froze, then powered down by itself and the controller remained on. This has happened twice with Cyberpunk but no other game. Do you think this is a hardware or software issue?

Normally I would think hardware but as you were playing Cyberpunk it’s very likely to be that especially if it’s ok in other games...

Associate
I’ve got the 3 years extended warranty from Microsoft so I suppose if it does kill itself down the line I should be ok. If it starts to do it with other games I’ll ask for a replacement. Thanks for the replies.

Man of Honour

Dont think there have been many crashes at all on the X, but no idea about the S.

Finished Titanfall 2. What a brilliant game. Time to finish Halo 4. I’ve never enjoyed gaming so much, it’s just so slick on the Xbox vs PC.

Man of Honour
No idea what it looked like on the OG Xbox but the One X enhanced version looked and played fantastically.
Was truly blown away by that game, looks and story wise. Did you watch the scene after the credits?

No, but I have now :p

Titanfall 3 happening?

Is Fallen Order 60fps? Tempted to play it again.

Last edited:
Soldato

There is either the OS or hardware at fault for the power down and reset, but it also could be a software issue that is considered abnormal to cause that behaviour. Cyberpunk is one of the most demanding games out there at the moment and given your report seems an outlier, I am leaning towards hardware.

Is there lots of space for airflow where your unit is?

Man of Honour
There is either the OS or hardware at fault for the power down and reset, but it also could be a software issue that is considered abnormal to cause that behaviour. Cyberpunk is one of the most demanding games out there at the moment and given your report seems an outlier, I am leaning towards hardware.

You’d think that, but without the next gen patch Cyberpunk barely works the X, certainly not as much as many of the X enhanced titles. I didn’t have a single crash with Cyberpunk either (surprisingly). Only once have I had a complete shut down mid-game and that was with AC Valhalla, otherwise it’s been rock solid throughout some pretty long sessions on a fair few games. The strangest behaviour I get is around the time of a system update.

Either people already have it or they might not care but cdkeys is doing Assassins Creed Unity for .79p not bad if you want a cheap game to play.

Unity was a solid AC game once they sorted out the launch issues. It has some excellent features that they actually took away before moving onto the next gen titles.

Soldato
How dumb is it that they didn't add an optical port for sound. Connecting to speakers when you're using a monitor is stupidly difficult. Can't even connect to Bluetooth sound outputs either...

Soldato

I had this exact issue in Cyberpunk. I posted about it in the Cyberpunk thread. I'm fairly sure it's game-related and nothing to do with the hardware. My console is on top of my TV stand with nothing around to block airflow. I've also not had this issue with any other game.

Associate

There is what I would consider enough airflow. I’ve ordered a new tv unit so I can sit it upright with loads of space just to be on the safe side.

I played about 5 hours of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and the new Watchdogs today with no issues, so thinking may be software. The Xbox is totally silent compared to the One X it replaced.

Soldato
Its because optical no longer has enough bandwidth for modern standards.
Phil Spencer is quoted saying it was to save $2 per console lol.

Yeah it's not got enough bandwidth for the modern high definition audio surround codecs but even so optical to Focal Arche with a Focal Utopia connected to it, audio doesn't get more high resolution than that.

Anyway happy new year!

Caporegime
Its because optical no longer has enough bandwidth for modern standards.
Erm wut?

Fairly sure you can encode sound via optical in 2020 the same way you could encode sound via optical for the last 20 years...

As @XeNoNF50 says it was purely to save money, because optical out was used by a low % of their total customer base. It's nothing to do with "modern standards" :)

e: Also the only alternative to optical out on your console is... optical out on your TV :p Or a HDMI to optical converter (aka HDMI audio extractor).

I haven't seen any audio equipment with HDMI inputs on it.. mostly it's RCA or optical.

e2: This is probably why your typical audio equipment doesn't have HDMI inputs..
What are the fees for HDMI?
Annual Fee
HDMI Adopters must pay an annual fee of fifteen thousand dollars (US$15,000). The annual fee is due upon the execution of the Adopter Agreement, and must be paid on the anniversary of this date each year thereafter. Note that HDMI does provide an alternative annual fee payment for small-volume manufacturers (10,000 units or less). Please see Attachment B of the Adopter Agreement for details.

Last edited:
Associate
I had this exact issue in Cyberpunk. I posted about it in the Cyberpunk thread. I'm fairly sure it's game-related and nothing to do with the hardware. My console is on top of my TV stand with nothing around to block airflow. I've also not had this issue with any other game.

I’ve just read the cyberpunk thread and I’m now pretty sure it’s a software issue, so relieved in a way if that makes sense. Would obviously rather we could enjoy the game without crashes :p

Back
Top Bottom