• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
There is what I would consider enough airflow. I’ve ordered a new tv unit so I can sit it upright with loads of space just to be on the safe side.

I played about 5 hours of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and the new Watchdogs today with no issues, so thinking may be software. The Xbox is totally silent compared to the One X it replaced.

Probably won’t happen again. When that happened to me and also when it booted to a green line on the screen after a beta update I panicked, but the system has always been fine after a press of the power button.

Soldato
Erm wut?

Fairly sure you can encode sound via optical in 2020 the same way you could encode sound via optical for the last 20 years...

As @XeNoNF50 says it was purely to save money, because optical out was used by a low % of their total customer base. It's nothing to do with "modern standards" :)

e: Also the only alternative to optical out on your console is... optical out on your TV :p Or a HDMI to optical converter (aka HDMI audio extractor).

I haven't seen any audio equipment with HDMI inputs on it.. mostly it's RCA or optical.

e2: This is probably why your typical audio equipment doesn't have HDMI inputs..

And a HDMI audio extractor that is 4k HDMI 2.0 compatible is seemingly £50. MS saved $2 to pass on a £50 cost to people who use monitors lol. Only way I can get sound otherwise using my existing audio equipment is 3.5mm jack from the controller lol.

Caporegime
And a HDMI audio extractor that is 4k HDMI 2.0 compatible is seemingly £50. MS saved $2 to pass on a £50 cost to people who use monitors lol. Only way I can get sound otherwise using my existing audio equipment is 3.5mm jack from the controller lol.

You are the wrong market 90% of people will be hooking up to a TV. Microsoft have to balance the cost.

Soldato
You are the wrong market 90% of people will be hooking up to a TV. Microsoft have to balance the cost.
Microsoft obviously place some importance on the monitor market, or else they wouldn't bother supporting 1440p.

Erm wut?

Fairly sure you can encode sound via optical in 2020 the same way you could encode sound via optical for the last 20 years...

Yeah but that's not modern standards is it?

Caporegime
Microsoft obviously place some importance on the monitor market, or else they wouldn't bother supporting 1440p.

Yeah but that's not modern standards is it?

It's not difficult to enable another resolution though. It is simply software.

In all honesty though why would you want a home console hooked up to a monitor unless you are a teenager in a small bedroom. Whole point of a home console is to sit back and relax.

Caporegime

In all honesty though why would you want a home console hooked up to a monitor unless you are a teenager in a small bedroom. Whole point of a home console is to sit back and relax.
Houses in this country are getting smaller and smaller. Space is a consideration.

Also hooking up the console the monitor in the study means you aren't fighting over the TV when the Mrs wants to watch Strictly :p

It's not too uncommon these days for either a TV to be used as a PC display, or a console to be connected to a PC monitor. People make do with what they've got. Options are always a good thing. Saving $2 and reducing your options is a bit naff.

Soldato

I have a console hooked up to my monitors and i'm 35 living with my missus. I don't use it in the sitting room as my misses watches loads of television there, also have a big tv in the bedroom but she watches stuff on there too.

It's easier having hooked up to my monitors and routing the sound through my PC so I can game and watch a film/youtube etc on the other monitor.

Caporegime
I have a console hooked up to my monitors and i'm 35 living with my missus. I don't use it in the sitting room as my misses watches loads of television there, also have a big tv in the bedroom but she watches stuff on there too.

It's easier having hooked up to my monitors and routing the sound through my PC so I can game and watch a film/youtube etc on the other monitor.

Need to get your priorities straight :p. I have my Xbox Series X in the living room, Xbox one in our bedroom, N64 and Gamecube in spare room, 360 in son's room, Xbox One in daughter's room and Nintendo Wii in Kitchen with PC in the study. My missus hates games but for better and worse and all that!

Why watch YouTube while gaming?

Soldato
Need to get your priorities straight :p. I have my Xbox Series X in the living room, Xbox one in our bedroom, N64 and Gamecube in spare room, 360 in son's room, Xbox One in daughter's room and Nintendo Wii in Kitchen with PC in the study. My missus hates games but for better and worse and all that!

Why watch YouTube while gaming?

I actually prefer sitting on the PC and using the monitors if I'm honest, If I'm playing a mindless game with no story like Diablo or Rocket League then I watch youtube or twitch or even a film.

Funny enough I live with her and her older mum, so sitting room is for family watching etc, bedroom misses is watching her stuff. When we get our own place later down the line, i've already secured a man cave with pc setup, multiple consoles, couch and tv so until then this will do.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its because optical no longer has enough bandwidth for modern standards.

nothing to do with that, it was about the $$$$.

They wanted to save the circa $2 per unit so ditched it.

Personally I think they got it wrong, what should be a factor in the decision is what is the cost to the end user, if saving $2 costs the end user $50, then its not a good trade off, just slightly lower the spec of gpu instead to save that $2 on the S, S users already dont care enough about GPU spec, and raise the price by $2 on the X as X users already dont care about price.

I dont think for one moment $2 would have affected X sales, they could have probably put $5 on with no effect at all.

Telemetry sadly has been the death nail of so many things.

Putting in my headphones to my monitor (which is what I would have had to do if I didnt have game capture device), is too inconvenient, the next option is a cable from it to line in on my sound card which has a ton of background noise. Luckily it works ok (after a lot of adjustments) via the usb connection on my capture device, but does mean I need to keep the console always going through that device now, not direct to monitor, which in turn means I can never use VRR.

Last edited:
Soldato

I am not a teenager and I have it hooked up to my pc monitor, I could use it on my tv, but its not the type of setup I like for gaming. I also agree with the point made above not everyone has the so called ideal conditions of a large spacious living room to stick it in, there is people with space constraints, that share the living room tv etc. Out of all the people I know who have a console not any of them even use it in their living room, they all in man caves (granted usually on tv's but still not in living room).

Soldato
Putting in my headphones to my monitor (which is what I would have had to do if I didnt have game capture device), is too inconvenient, the next option is a cable from it to line in on my sound card which has a ton of background noise. Luckily it works ok (after a lot of adjustments) via the usb connection on my capture device, but does mean I need to keep the console always going through that device now, not direct to monitor, which in turn means I can never use VRR.

I'm using the cable to line in, not much background noise though. It's a temporary solution hopefully until a audio extractor comes out that can do 1440/120 - 4k/120 etc later in the year.

Soldato
I'm using the cable to line in, not much background noise though. It's a temporary solution hopefully until a audio extractor comes out that can do 1440/120 - 4k/120 etc later in the year.

Seems some external soundcards work? if I ever find I neeed VRR in the future I may go for one of those.

Back
Top Bottom