Monitor comparable to an OLED?

Associate
I wonder if I can pick peoples’ brains.

I have an Acer Predator XB1 monitor. It’s very good, but I’ve noticed that it’s not as ‘vivid’ as when I game on my LG OLED TV in the lounge. The colours aren’t as rich or as dynamic.

It’s probably a really obvious and ignorant question, but why is that?

On a related note, I would love to get a monitor that has a similar richness to my OLED – ideally 27 inch to 34 inch – G sync a must. Can anyone suggest anything., or would I be best sticking with my ACER?

With thanks,

James

Associate
I wonder if I can pick peoples’ brains.

I have an Acer Predator XB1 monitor. It’s very good, but I’ve noticed that it’s not as ‘vivid’ as when I game on my LG OLED TV in the lounge. The colours aren’t as rich or as dynamic.

It’s probably a really obvious and ignorant question, but why is that?

On a related note, I would love to get a monitor that has a similar richness to my OLED – ideally 27 inch to 34 inch – G sync a must. Can anyone suggest anything., or would I be best sticking with my ACER?

With thanks,

James

the only area where some monitors better an oled is refresh rate getting upto 360hz where oled are limited to 120hz

for everything else an oled can’t be beat, per pixel dimming is better than any fald backlight, colour is superior, hdr is superior, pixel response is nearly instant.

if you can get over the size of the smallest oled at 48inch they are awesome

Soldato
Only thing comparable to OLED is OLED.
LCD is simply crap in comparison with problems in contrast, response times and viewing angles. (being downgrade in all from old CRT)

Some "dual layer" LCD designs using second LCD layer for extra brightness control at pixel level wouldbe as clsoe as LCD can ever get to OLED.
But afraid that could add to viewing angle problems.
(already caused by looking light source through "tube" instead of light source being in outer surface)
And who knows when those would actually be available and at what price.

Though in gamut/colour space size best IPSes probably match OLEDs.
Acer is just **** at naming monitors with using almost similar names often from up handfull or even more models, but your's is likely standard old sRGB monitor.

Just forget Jensen's buttsync.
Variable refresh rate of FreeSync monitors work with any graphics card.

Associate
OP
Thanks both - good to know it's not just me!

I wonder if you might be able to recommend a new monitor? Would ideally like one bigger than 27 inch, but not too fussed about 4k.

Soldato
Would ideally like one bigger than 27 inch, but not too fussed about 4k.
27" 2560x1440 choise is more than plentiful.
32" choise is very limited with first high refresh rate IPS models out only recently.
(with actually wider gamut than in LG OLED)

And 3840x2160 choise is very limited in any size.
LG 27GN950 is really only decent for gaming, but availability sucks.
(+without 3 years old HDMI 2.1 it relies on DisplayPort 1.4 connection with DSC to reach 144Hz)
In 32" size gaming capable models haven't even yet come out, except in form of paper announcements.

If you prefer darker room, then VA's the way best contrast of LCDs beats IPS.
Though still being miserably behind OLED.

Soldato
So why isn’t OLED being used for pc monitors?
I guess mainly due to risk of burn in Specially if they were being used as work or office monitors where many people wouldn't care about trying to reduce the burn in risk
Plus the lighting in most offices is normally very bright so users would be using the monitors at very high brightness levels which pushes the chance of getting burn in much higher

Plus you would turn off the screen dimming settings as you wouldn't want the screen to dim or go off every time you leave a static image on screen for a few minutes at work

Last edited:
Permabanned
LCD has always had many issues. They are a lot better than they used to be but in comparison really one of those old Plasma screens is closer to OLED than LCD.

Caporegime
So why isn’t OLED being used for pc monitors?
From what I understand they aren't economical to produce under a certain size, yet.

The only OLED monitor to hit the market so far was a £3500 30" Dell which was soon discontinued due to poor sales.

That's more expensive by far than a 48" LG OLED TV.

Burn-in worries me, personally, but many LG OLED TV owners say it's not an issue.

Associate
I have to agree, I've always lusted after an OLED screen after having OLED TVs but its like trying to find a Unicorn, the other thing I did think about was the LG4k/5k screens that are used for the MAC, when I run my screens side by side on the desk my Samsung 32 QLED is an OK monitor, but if you drift your eyes back to the 5K Mac screen it is ultra clear and bright, yeah ok its running 5k, but its a big diff...

Caporegime
There is nothing comparable to oled in the LCD market.

The only time where I can be happy enough with my IPS monitor is in an overall bright SDR game, anything else, especially dark areas or/and HDR, there is just no comparison.

Back
Top Bottom