• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Soldato
It's up to programs to use it. It's been around for years so I doubt it's just recently been 'enabled' in any nvidia driver in the past 10 years.

Permabanned
It's up to programs to use it. It's been around for years so I doubt it's just recently been 'enabled' in any nvidia driver in the past 10 years.

I think it's up to the driver because in Google Chrome it is not present.

Uses
The XPS viewer in Windows 7 uses DirectWrite, but it renders the output on a GDI+ surface.[7]

Internet Explorer 9 and later versions use DirectWrite layered over Direct2D for improved visual quality and performance.[8][9][10] Firefox 4 also added DirectWrite support, but rendering in the DirectWrite specific style was made non-default for some fonts in Firefox 7 due to user complaints about the rendering quality.[11]

Microsoft Office 2013 supports either Direct2D/DirectWrite or GDI/Uniscribe for display rendering and typography.[12]

Google Chrome in Windows supports DirectWrite starting from version 37.[13]

Telegram's desktop client uses DirectWrite to render color emojis on Windows.

Steam has the option to enable DirectWrite for improved font smoothing and kerning on its desktop client

Caporegime
Got a 3080 fe arriving hopefully tomorrow but probably be later in the week.....

quick questions:

- best driver to use? (I got a 144HZ free sync screen which works with nvidia on DP and also a lg oled e7 on HDMI so hdr must be working [I've read that the last few drivers have broke HDR?])
- any little must tweak/change settings? Such as power settings etc. or anything to improve the IQ? (aware I'll need to change to full RGB)

Caporegime
Got a 3080 fe arriving hopefully tomorrow but probably be later in the week.....

quick questions:

- best driver to use? (I got a 144HZ free sync screen which works with nvidia on DP and also a lg oled e7 on HDMI so hdr must be working [I've read that the last few drivers have broke HDR?])
- any little must tweak/change settings? Such as power settings etc. or anything to improve the IQ? (aware I'll need to change to full RGB)

The very latest one (461.09), as it fixes an issue with raised black levels on OLED TVs.

Soldato
Thanks Vincent.

Is there any must dos to get hdr working on nvidia over amd? (other than just enabling it via windows). See conflicting reports where some say amd works better for hdr.
It's a pita:p

Every time I enable the Tv for some couch gaming, I have to go into windows, select the TV, turn on gaming mode through the TV(Samsung), only then it'll let me enable HDR on that panel.

Every single time I switch monitors.:(

Caporegime
It's a pita:p

Every time I enable the Tv for some couch gaming, I have to go into windows, select the TV, turn on gaming mode through the TV(Samsung), only then it'll let me enable HDR on that panel.

Every single time I switch monitors.:(
Urgh!

If it's that much faff, I'll be going back to AMD then :p

Also refuse to use game mode as it messes up the colours on my oled, that and it provides no benefit in terms of input lag etc. anyway since I already disable all the post processing effects (and use the pc preset mode)

Soldato
Urgh!

Also refuse to use game mode as it messes up the colours on my oled, that and it provides no benefit in terms of input lag etc. anyway since I already disable all the post processing effects (and use the pc preset mode)

HDR is unavailable on Samsung PC mode, only works on Game mode- that drove me nuts finding that bit out.:p

Hopefully LG's easier.

Caporegime
Urgh!

It's no faff at all on my LG C9.

HDR Mode on in windows, TV detects 'instant game response'

The E7 is two years older though so might be slightly more tricksy.

Caporegime
Ok cool, hopefully I shouldn't have any problems given that it works flawlessly on my current vega 56. In fact, even without hdr turned on in windows, my tv will auto switch to hdr technicolor preset for some games i.e. division 2. Some games, I have to go and enable hdr in windows first though.

Seen some say that with nvidia, having the connection as "PC input" doesn't work with hdr and that the "game" input connection has to be used. Only time apparently "PC" input is to be used is for SDR and the full 4:4:4 with nvidia gpus.

@Nexus18 you'll maybe want to turn up digital vibrance in ncp if you notice the change/it matters to you in overall colours coming from long time AMD as well.
Yup, going to be interesting seeing the difference first hand on my main rig, always hear people say clarity and colours are better on amd.

Soldato
Disabled hardware acceleration on Edge and Firefox, and I now no longer get the random black screen while watching YouTube. But wow does it affect overall browser performance. Getting a X570 board later in the week so will do a clean Windows install, hopefully that will help solve this odd bug.

Soldato
Disabled hardware acceleration on Edge and Firefox, and I now no longer get the random black screen while watching YouTube. But wow does it affect overall browser performance. Getting a X570 board later in the week so will do a clean Windows install, hopefully that will help solve this odd bug.
That bug has been around for ages IIRC. Used to get random flashes on YouTube or iPlayer way back in 2013. Maybe even before then. I don't know if a clean install will fix it, but let us know how you get on!

Caporegime
Happy to report, no issues with hdr on my 3080fe, works same as amd!

What do people prefer for hardware/fps OSD monitoring HWinfo or msi afterburner?

Caporegime
Also, which VRAM sensor should I be paying attention to the most?

cJCQkGR.png
HIe4ZZU

Back
Top Bottom