What watch do you wear?

Soldato
What's the book called? Sounds intriguing!

A few clearer photos than the ones i posted on hamstergram yesterday.

N1Ua7yc.jpg

w98Mujx.jpg

mcd1ndn.jpg

3vydPsV.jpg

9MKZuun.jpg

Also this was the channel i was telling you about as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCci1MUB7x7yRkwgqIFpD7WA

I've watched a couple of his videos, this being the last one that i saw where he's taken a pretty beaten up watch and made it look a hell of a lot better. He almost makes watch repair / restoration look easy!

Man of Honour
Ah cheers! Yeah does look a good book, currently on the wishlist for the next round of book purchases, just gotta finish recent ones first on the shelf lol.

Those restorations are wicked too, wonder how it affects values of some watches, like cars some collectors pay more for unrestored ones I've seen.

Soldato
To be fair with the restoration stuff, I guess its down to the level of restoration as well. I've been watching a lot of Salvage Hunters, American Pickers, Salvage Hunters : The Restorers, Salvage Hunters : Classic Cars etc and it really depends on the market you're aiming for along with what repairs need to be done and then can they be repaired with period materials or do you have to sub in something brand new. All affect the value and as you say some purists will happily pay a premium for something which hasn't been touched providing it isn't a pile of crap and deemed worthless!

Soldato
A few clearer photos than the ones i posted on hamstergram yesterday.

N1Ua7yc.jpg

w98Mujx.jpg

mcd1ndn.jpg

3vydPsV.jpg

9MKZuun.jpg

Also this was the channel i was telling you about as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCci1MUB7x7yRkwgqIFpD7WA

I've watched a couple of his videos, this being the last one that i saw where he's taken a pretty beaten up watch and made it look a hell of a lot better. He almost makes watch repair / restoration look easy!

I mean the guy clearly knows more than me when it comes to watch repair, but all that care and attention on dismantling it and then he just rags the seized spring bars out with a pair of forceps :p

Book looks good, thanks for the recommendation.

Man of Honour
Money cannot buy taste clearly :p

I got a vintage milled buckle today with brushed finish. Wanted to see what a brushed buckle looks like on the tropic as the Aquscaphe has no polished parts on the watch so the polished buckle just doesn't seem right to my eyes.

I think the brushed looks more fitting but I do miss the signed logo on the Baltic buckle. Brushing finish matches the case though so there is that. GIFs below because they show the way the light plays on brushed better than a still :p

Original:
buckle_OEM.gif

Brushed:
buckle_AM.gif

Soldato
They've just released an updated variant with a not insubstantial price hike to match. This is meaning the previous model is being taken up in price too on the second hand market.
I can only see the older model for sale in UK on most websites at the mo has it released here? Worth trying to grab the older one instead?

Edit ah no the new movement and reference is the co axial models?

Soldato
I can only see the older model for sale in UK on most websites at the mo has it released here? Worth trying to grab the older one instead?

Edit ah no the new movement and reference is the co axial models?
Yes - the previous now discontinued. The bracelet on the new does look better, but otherwise really very minor changes. Still very low water resistance rating, which is a shame.

Man of Honour
That is cool, case back? I have mused over the C60 Sapphire many times as think it looks really cool and at 40mm and under £800 seems nicely priced but just cannot get over the placement on the dial of the logo now!

Back
Top Bottom