**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
What do you think would yield a bigger performance boost; swapping a 3700X for a 5900X or a 3080 for a 3090?.....
Neither mate, wait for DX12 to be patched in then you’ll be gpu limited but a 3090 isn’t (really) an upgrade on a 3080 unless 3-5 fps for an extra grand is worth it to you.

Soldato
Thrilled. Managed to snag a
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus Edition.
Tried playing this with keyboard & mouse and a xbox gamepad. As pretty as this game looks I feel a flight stick is essential and I'm hoping now to play SW Squadrons now also (again was waiting on a good hotas deal) Had FS2020 since launch and probably oy played it about an hour if that. For me it's a bit like playing say Fifa on a keyboard instead of a gamepad. I hope its worth it and the cost was only £64 which I don't think is too bad considering how damn hard these are to find. Ive been fortunate as I have everything I intended to buy since September 2020. I do feel for those who are still waiting on components and I'm aware I'm a lucky boy right now.
Arrives tomorrow and am seriously looking forward as covid is making doing anything outside the home tough.

How are you finding this? I have this stick coming tomorrow, as going down the HOTAS route is a little pricey for me right now. What other device are you using with the stick? Keyboard? Mouse? Controller? Just wondering what the best control scheme is with this game.

Soldato
How are you finding this? I have this stick coming tomorrow, as going down the HOTAS route is a little pricey for me right now. What other device are you using with the stick? Keyboard? Mouse? Controller? Just wondering what the best control scheme is with this game.
I picked one of these up too. It’s a big step up from an Xbox pad! Feels far more realistic and very subtle to inputs. Plane feels more stable and easier to correct, easier to set trim and throttle.

It is a very plasticky but solid, will probably only use it for this game so can’t bring myself to spend money on an all metal one but could see myself adding the throttle quadrant at a later point!

Associate
I'm looking at upgrading my graphics card so I am able to play. Any thoughts on a 1070 or 1080? I appreciate they are older cards but with the market the way it is at the moment I don't really have much choice. My budget is around £300.

I've got a 3600 and 32gb ram. My monitor is only 1080p and I don't mind playing on medium/high if it means a smooth playing experience.

Soldato
I'm looking at upgrading my graphics card so I am able to play. Any thoughts on a 1070 or 1080? I appreciate they are older cards but with the market the way it is at the moment I don't really have much choice. My budget is around £300.

I've got a 3600 and 32gb ram. My monitor is only 1080p and I don't mind playing on medium/high if it means a smooth playing experience.
You can always sign up for a ms game pass for £1 and then download MSFS202 and try it, then judge how your hardware performs.

Soldato
It’s just crazy to me that a budget of £300 means you are looking at a 1070/1080 in 2021... insane.

It’s a shame, you could have had my 2070S last month for £275 which is what I ended up selling to CEX for. If you had enough posts for the members market here you could probably bag yourself a better deal!

Anyway, I would say a 1080 should have little bother giving you a good experience at 1080p... if you can bump up another £50 or so budget and sign up to some stock discords you might be able to bag yourself a 3060Ti founders edition though - worth a try perhaps.

Soldato
They'll both do a good job at high settings at 1080p, should be at least 30fps.

Ran my 1070@1440p mostly high, some higher some lower. Was pretty impressed by the FPS.

All my 3070 has changed is to be able to run 4K at 80%. On my 40” screen it’s definitely better but I could have managed

Man of Honour
Loving this now; the Warthog HOTAs has made such a big difference; it feels like a proper bit of kit v the faulty X52 Pro!

I also picked up the Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals which are a bit plasticky but really add to the control during flight (and on the ground!) especially as the Warthog stick doesn't have the "twist" rudder control that many sticks do.

All in all though; loving this - done a few longer flights in the A320; some of the scenery and weather effects are just incredible; flying over the Alps or the Med as the sun goes down is never going to get old!!!

I had been feeling like I'd spent a lot building this PC and generally was getting a bit frustrated as I've found that many of the games I played on Xbox (BF5, COD) are just full of cheats on PC and I wasn't really seeing the benefit of the £1500+ spent on a PC v £500 for an Xbox Series X.... well I think I've finally got one; I'll be staggered if they can get MSFS running as well as this on an Xbox; it runs really nicely in 4K but I tried it today on my 1080P 42" TV which is on the wall and it looks incredible in Ultra with excellent frame rates - this game makes the cost of the PC more than worth it!!!

Caporegime
Loving this now; the Warthog HOTAs has made such a big difference; it feels like a proper bit of kit v the faulty X52 Pro!

I also picked up the Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals which are a bit plasticky but really add to the control during flight (and on the ground!) especially as the Warthog stick doesn't have the "twist" rudder control that many sticks do.

All in all though; loving this - done a few longer flights in the A320; some of the scenery and weather effects are just incredible; flying over the Alps or the Med as the sun goes down is never going to get old!!!

I had been feeling like I'd spent a lot building this PC and generally was getting a bit frustrated as I've found that many of the games I played on Xbox (BF5, COD) are just full of cheats on PC and I wasn't really seeing the benefit of the £1500+ spent on a PC v £500 for an Xbox Series X.... well I think I've finally got one; I'll be staggered if they can get MSFS running as well as this on an Xbox; it runs really nicely in 4K but I tried it today on my 1080P 42" TV which is on the wall and it looks incredible in Ultra with excellent frame rates - this game makes the cost of the PC more than worth it!!!
What’s the easiest way to learn to fly the A320, particularly the FMC and ILS landings?

Soldato
There are some very good guys on YouTube, I’d just go and watch them.

If you are interested in the A320 then the free A320NX mod by flybywire is a must-have. They even have an installer now so it’s just a couple of clicks to have it working. I’m amazed at what they’ve managed to achieve already and it really brings the A320 up to a massively higher standard that’s far more true to the real thing.

Eg:

Back
Top Bottom