Horizon Zero Dawn

Soldato
Got it's "final" patch today, v1.10. They are winding down to concentrate on the next game. So if you're still crashing, you probably have to put up with it.
Not accurate, they said they will keep an eye on public forums for any game breaking bugs and will address them.

I sure hope they do keep an eye out. It's not game breaking but from what I read, many users with AMD GPU's seem to have this problem. As can be seen in the screenie, there is tree's missing. I only played a few hours but seeing this I had a look around and it seems like the v1.10 patch broke things for AMD users, and the hotfix they put out did not correct it for everyone. Hoping there be another hotfix soon, since the game is stunningly beautiful the little I played so far.

Ohh and that is around the starting area when you have to hunt down some machines so you can make fire arrows.

eJAGZp7.jpg

Soldato
Very much enjoying this, but can anyone tell me what the 'optimizing shaders' thing is all about.
What is it actually doing? I assumed it was optimising something for my specific hardware, but if that's the case why can't it remember the settings so it doesn't have to do it every single time I start up the game.

Soldato
It only comes when you install a new graphics driver.
It is optimising for the hardware you are running for the best experience, like a compatibility for the game engine depending on what hardware
Actually, after the v1.07 update, it happens everytime you start the game. Before that update, from what I have read, it was just one time, unless you updated your drivers.

With Patch 1.07 the team has rewritten the way the engine deals with shaders and shader-optimisation. This results in the optimisation step becoming optional, as well as the Anisotropic Filtering option now working as expected.

What this means for you: upon starting the game, it will start optimising shaders in the Main Menu each time. Shaders will also still be optimised during gameplay, but this now happens automatically in the background.

Source: Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC - patch 1.07 is no available.

Soldato
Yeah, that's what I read as well. I never actually played it before that patch so can't compare, but definitely runs every time for me and sounds like that's intentional, I just don't understand why. I have to start up the game 10 minutes before I want to play, reminds me of the old days.

Soldato
Yeah from what I have been reading, before v1.07 it was only done once, unless you updated the drivers, but it could take up towards an hour to do it. They got to many complains so now instead of once, it is every time you start the game. Found a post on reddit from a user posted yesterday that said it if put the game exe to run the program as an admin it did not happen for him, but I tried that and it still did it when I restarted the game. So, looks like something one have to live with, although, you can start the game and play straight away. Not sure how the effect will be though, I only played 4/5 hours so far. And as per above screeny, I be waiting until they come out with another hotfix to fix the vanishing trees.

Soldato
Yep I'm getting the vanishing trees now too. Why is that? It never happened before. I finished the game and it was fine now on the Frozen Wilds, which is great, but the whole forest disappearing is really immersion killing.

Soldato
I tried it the other day without letting it finish and the load time was pretty bad, I didn't play it for long to see how bad the load times were when I fast travelled and stuff, hard to know which wait is worse.

Hmm, played earlier and didn't notice any issue with trees, will have to check again tomorrow.

Soldato
Yep I'm getting the vanishing trees now too. Why is that? It never happened before. I finished the game and it was fine now on the Frozen Wilds, which is great, but the whole forest disappearing is really immersion killing.
It happened after v1.10 update a couple days ago, and the hotfix they put out yetserday to fix it.. well it didn't fix it.. so.. waiting for hotfix no.2 to come out.

Soldato
Someone posted over at the Steam forum that they had no issues with the trees vanishing for them on the AMD driver 21.1.1, but I tried and still have the issues. If anyone else that having the tree issue among other things want to try and see if it works for you, please let us know here if it works or not.

Edit: Forget the above, I misread their post over at steam ! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
No the new gpu driver does not fix whatever the game patch broke. Looks like the game needs a hotfix.
Actually, not sure if it is the game now. I did a little experiment and asked my mate to bring over the 5700XT I sold him when I got my new 6900XT and lo and behold.

With 6900XT
UcX0J1R.jpg

With 5700XT
e6cv2zE.jpg

So seeing how it looks with a 5700XT I sure missed out on some when I played this area, since with the 6900XT it looks rather bare ! It has the exact same drivers, which is 20.12.1, just changed the GPU's, nothing else has been changed.

So maybe it is the RDNA2 that's is the problem ? Not quiet sure how to bring this to AMD's attention though, but I try and post at their community forums and see if that helps.

Soldato
Actually, not sure if it is the game now. I did a little experiment and asked my mate to bring over the 5700XT I sold him when I got my new 6900XT and lo and behold.

With 6900XT
UcX0J1R.jpg

With 5700XT
e6cv2zE.jpg

So seeing how it looks with a 5700XT I sure missed out on some when I played this area, since with the 6900XT it looks rather bare ! It has the exact same drivers, which is 20.12.1, just changed the GPU's, nothing else has been changed.

So maybe it is the RDNA2 that's is the problem ? Not quiet sure how to bring this to AMD's attention though, but I try and post at their community forums and see if that helps.

Deforestation. It's Greta trying to make a statement. :p

Soldato
Gotcha ! Thanks for replying back. :)

If anyone with a nVidia card wouldn't mind starting up the game and take a comparison shoot that would be appreciated. just out of curiosity !

Clearly borked, as your first shot is showing shadows for non-existent trees!

I could understand it if you were running a 3080 as that would be a sign of it running out of memory to render the trees.

Back
Top Bottom