BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
The retentions team is the one you call and say you want to leave. If they don’t offer what you want start a switch, they soon come back to the table.

Are you particularly wedded to BT? I’d just leave if they don’t give you what you want.

Soldato
I’m not in a position health wise to be mucking about with things right now. Equipment upstairs, I’m stuck downstairs for the next month or so!

Fair enough.

Just so you are aware, you don’t actually have to change the equipment when moving between most U.K. ISPs, Sky being the main notable exception. You can just log onto the router user interface and change the isp user name and password to the new ISP details on change over day and it will continue to work. I used a BT router on plusnet for years.

Soldato
Likely asked a million times before, but any preferred site to use to find out exactly what services I can get? I just kicked off the proceedings on my first house purchase, naively believed the Rightmove checker that said Virgin Media was available, turns out its not. So I just want to clarify exactly what are my best options.

Man of Honour
Likely asked a million times before, but any preferred site to use to find out exactly what services I can get? I just kicked off the proceedings on my first house purchase, naively believed the Rightmove checker that said Virgin Media was available, turns out its not. So I just want to clarify exactly what are my best options.
Unfortunately, as far as I know there isn't one site that shows all options. Check on https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL, Virgin, Hyperoptic, Gigaclear etc.

Soldato
Unfortunately, as far as I know there isn't one site that shows all options. Check on https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL, Virgin, Hyperoptic, Gigaclear etc.
Cheers for that, that offered me this.
https://imgur.com/a/MmwVS5o

Took a look through a few other comparison sites and was offered this;
Fibre.net
G.Fast 160-30

TalkTalk
Fibre 150/20

Zen
Ultrafast133

Cerberus Networks
G.fast Pro
300mb/50

The cerberus networks one looks promising at 300mb down but seems odd that its not in the same ball park as the others, or is that taking advantage of the FTTP on demand?

Man of Honour
The Cerberus offering is almost certainly FTTPoD which will carry an install cost of over £5k. Just take the native G.Fast services with a provider of choice.

Soldato
That makes sense, cheers. Will try and find out who is the best provider on the standard 150mb services.

Sky or TT are the cheapest g.fast options iirc, take sky without the total coverage option and it's 25.99/m and you get a load of cash back via quidco iirc. Downside is Sky don't supply a standalone modem, just the new hub, so you need to be nice to the engineer to get a modem or pay £75ish on eBay. TT .... well rather you than me :D

Soldato
Sky or TT are the cheapest g.fast options iirc, take sky without the total coverage option and it's 25.99/m and you get a load of cash back via quidco iirc. Downside is Sky don't supply a standalone modem, just the new hub, so you need to be nice to the engineer to get a modem or pay £75ish on eBay. TT .... well rather you than me :D
I have a friend who works at Sky, he can get me a decent discount on Sky and to be fair I will also need a TV package so that might make sense. Noted on the modem point, what do I need to buy to use my own router?
TalkTalk are fine
Cheers, tbf I do need a TV package as well so Sky may be a good option anyway but will weigh up the costs.

Caporegime
I wonder if you could get TalkTalk G.fast, have Openreach do the install and provide you with the Huawei modem, and then cancel within the 14 day cooling off period. I can't imagine that there's a process to retrieve the modem, and I'm aware this is a bit of a dick move to make.

The alternative is you buy a Draytek Vigor 166 but they are brand new and the firmware is pretty rough.

Back
Top Bottom