Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Man of Honour
Indeed. Sticking to the big names is most sensible. That also applies to the battery manufacturers I've invested in. However, more emerging industries like EV and American gambling is a bit more of an open playing field where anyone can make hay.

Good money to be made if you are hands on but I got out as it was keeping me up at night.

Soldato
The limits/ban on purchasing GME caused me to lose all my GME shares due to my SELL limit being hit (i.e. my inital investment of £1000).

I put it there for when/if GME fell due to mass sells or when this all came to an end but I never actually planned on triggering it and I believe that if the ban on GME was not implemented, I would still have my 14 shares and it would be around $500 (+/- $50).

I was going to chuck the money straight back in and take a hit on 2/3 shares but due to the restrictions I couldn't get back on my original position and now for the price of 14 shares, I would only get 3/4.

I've decided instead to chuck the £1k on AMC as I believe that can hit $50 (realistic) and maybe $100 (dream) and so my returns would most likely be better than GME.

BUT I could be wrong and GME hits $2k/$3k per share and I'll be kicking myself but I just can't see how WSB + the others are going to do that with the blatant manipulation that's going on!

Associate
For long-term portfolio I'd go with a more reputable firm that T212. Vanguard, or Hargreaves Lansdown. Vanguard funds are the simplest and track the market with the least effort, with the lowest fees if you go to Vanguard directly.

T212 is more for playing around in than long-term use. Possibly mid-term with their "pie" feature. Read a book called the easy way to make wealth; probably a PDF of it kicking around somewhere.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and advice.

So I'm currently using T212's Pie feature in an ISA Invest account which I find pretty decent, I like the zero-fees and it's easy to use. I've essentially got three pies and put a set amount into them each month. I have a few investments outside of these pies, one-offs, etc. If you want to see what I've put into said pies, you can have a look here. Happy for feedback, etc. I've got a Hargreves Lansdown account from years ago and they screwed up my account that took months to sort so they left a bitter taste in the mouth. Why do you think that T212 wouldn't be any good for long-term use? I know a few people who have a few 100k in there.

You'll see I've currently got shares in the INRG ETF, even though its dipped I'm still a fair bit up currently. Thinking is that surely the way the world is going clean energy is only going to become more prevalent.

I have considered just selling up, closing the ISA and going direct with Vanguard and investing in a couple of their ETFs instead via an ISA with them, taking all of the work/stress/research/worry out of it.

Soldato
The limits/ban on purchasing GME caused me to lose all my GME shares due to my SELL limit being hit (i.e. my inital investment of £1000).

I put it there for when/if GME fell due to mass sells or when this all came to an end but I never actually planned on triggering it and I believe that if the ban on GME was not implemented, I would still have my 14 shares and it would be around $500 (+/- $50).

I was going to chuck the money straight back in and take a hit on 2/3 shares but due to the restrictions I couldn't get back on my original position and now for the price of 14 shares, I would only get 3/4.

I've decided instead to chuck the £1k on AMC as I believe that can hit $50 (realistic) and maybe $100 (dream) and so my returns would most likely be better than GME.

BUT I could be wrong and GME hits $2k/$3k per share and I'll be kicking myself but I just can't see how WSB + the others are going to do that with the blatant manipulation that's going on!
Put some on AMC myself, but really going on the trend people are talking. Wonder what Monday morning will do to them

fez

fez

Caporegime
Isn't that just hype though? :p

Isn't what just hype?

Also lol at thinking Intel's entire business model is the consumer CPUs that we buy :D

I have no illusions that Apple is but a drop in the ocean for them but AMD are offering much better value than Intel and are slowly overtaking them in a lot of areas. I don't know why that wouldn't drop their value significantly. Either they are holding back on the market and are still doing so despite their current issues or they are in trouble and struggling to innovate like AMD.

Its that sort of thinking that has got them into this position. "Lol at anyone who thinks we aren't untouchable and lead the market in pretty much all areas".

We will see in the next few years.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Going to cost them a lot of customers. Any companies that haven't restricted trading on GME by the time this all finishes could clean up on new traders. How much they will be worth is up for debate but a lot of brokers have dealt serious blows to their credibility if nothing else.

Soldato
Going to cost them a lot of customers. Any companies that haven't restricted trading on GME by the time this all finishes could clean up on new traders. How much they will be worth is up for debate but a lot of brokers have dealt serious blows to their credibility if nothing else.
Surly with all the custom they get from places like Wallstreet bets, you would think how quickly they can turn on them and also very much remember it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Surly with all the custom they get from places like Wallstreet bets, you would think how quickly they can turn on them and also very much remember it.

From looking on the IG twitter there are a lot of long time users that are going to abandon them once they are out of the GME stock and some aren't even involved but don't like their behaviour and are transferring out.

Associate
Isn't what just hype?

I have no illusions that Apple is but a drop in the ocean for them but AMD are offering much better value than Intel and are slowly overtaking them in a lot of areas. I don't know why that wouldn't drop their value significantly. Either they are holding back on the market and are still doing so despite their current issues or they are in trouble and struggling to innovate like AMD.

Its that sort of thinking that has got them into this position. "Lol at anyone who thinks we aren't untouchable and lead the market in pretty much all areas".

We will see in the next few years.

The main problem for AMD atm is the slow turnover cycle in the server space otherwise they would be dominating that (> 80% market share) simarly to how they are consumer chips. That's around 25% of Intel's revenue. If AMD continue to stay ahead in innovation for several years then the roles will reverse. Intel have a massive systemic advantage in this regard but it won't last forever and the share price is reflective of the direction these two companies are moving and will continue to do so as long as AMD stays ahead in terms of innovation.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The main problem for AMD atm is the slow turnover cycle in the server space otherwise they would be dominating that (> 80% market share) simarly to how they are consumer chips. That's around 25% of Intel's revenue. If AMD continue to stay ahead in innovation for several years then the roles will reverse. Intel have a massive systemic advantage in this regard but it won't last forever and the share price is reflective of the direction these two companies are moving and will continue to do so as long as AMD stays ahead in terms of innovation.

Yep and your company value doesn't tend to go up when you are stagnant and not increasing your market share or sales. Nothing about Intels immediate future would make me want to invest in it.

Soldato
Which is the go to trading platform guys? Want to avoid the ones that stopped game stop trading unless they happen to be a lot better than the rest

Soldato
Which is the go to trading platform guys? Want to avoid the ones that stopped game stop trading unless they happen to be a lot better than the rest
T212 if you can get an account. They stopped buying but have fixed it now.

I'm not sure how many of the others are particularly accessible at such short notice.

Associate
I confess to being balls deep AMC mainly because I think it has the best upside potential of the short squeezers available. I hope I’m right but I’m probably wrong!

Back
Top Bottom