When are you going fully electric?

You might want a quick rack on a f1 car, but for 'average' user, a steering wheel adjustment that would take you off the road might be disconcerting,
you'd have to change yor grip technique too, can't let it run back through your hands, as many do.

Hadn't realised the WRC cars will be hybrid next year, until I saw MC ralley last night ...
but intially the electric assist is just for urban sections, you still need some homogation/feed-thru though ?

Many years ago Jasper Carrott told a joke about modifying cars. One of the bits was about removing the steering wheel and fitting a leather bound button instead (iirc the whole joke was about essex but I may have made that bit up), concluded with "if they sneezed they would end up travelling in the opposite direction"

Soldato
The BIK rates between a Tesla and a Bentley are slightly different :p

To be honest, if that was all it was, I'd be off to Crewe now. It's a customer perception thing. You should basically drive something 'nice' but not 'too nice'. And people's perceptions of 'too nice' is ludicrous really. At one point I wanted a Porsche Cayenne diesel 3.0. No. No Porsches. VW Touareg for the same money with the 4.2l V8 diesel engine. No problem. I asked about a Porsche Macan. No. No Porsches. Audi SQ7? Just about OK. In the end I got the Touareg with EVERY option. And before I went electric I had four Audi allroads which are stupidly expensive cars but everyone just sees a jacked up estate car and even when someone said "You've got the same car as Price Charles" the next thing they said "I thought he would have had something nicer." So you can't win.

Associate
You should have been contacted. They sent me a text message asking me to call a number in the UK that was answered by an American who I suspect wasn't in the UK. He took me through the options (the Plaid isn't the Plaid that I ordered, that is the Plaid Plus) and it's more expensive than indicated. If I didn't want to pay more they offered a switch-sale to a stock car which I declined. I'm waiting to hear back from the leasing company what the extra monthly cost will be. Not much in terms of the overall monthly payment I would imagine.

Thanks bud, called them and they just auto switched mine to the Plaid+, so all in, just waiting now lol. im not going the leasing option on this one, so interested to see when the ETA will be.

Soldato
It's a customer perception thing. You should basically drive something 'nice' but not 'too nice'.
Pretty obvious why then :)
One of the reasons Toyota still sell their top end $90k+ Landcruiser. Externally it looks like a much cheaper, non flash SUV.

Soldato
It's a customer perception thing.
While it shouldn't make a difference I think having something that is seen as too luxurious gets the customer thinking "I've paid for that".

I think sub-consciously our pension fund managers both turning up to my works for our annual update separately in two brand new Jags was part of the reason I told them to stick their management fee and I'll manage my pension myself. Well... that and the fact said pension was evaporating into the ether in awful funds with horrific fees.

I think EV's also, in general, give a bit of a "responsible company" vibe. At least that will be how I'll be trying to justify one to my bosses to offload my BIK burden.

Man of Honour
I think sub-consciously our pension fund managers both turning up to my works for our annual update separately in two brand new Jags was part of the reason I told them to stick their management fee and I'll manage my pension myself.

A new XF is a 30 grand car... would you have done the same if they'd showed up in a Passat? :D

Associate
Really interested if there is going to be any external differences on the Plaid+ and the normal plaid.

Most of the 20k I would imagine is batter tech but still maybe something in there for a diffuser or 2? :cool:

Soldato
The revised Tesla Model S and X interior looks clean. Not sure about the Knight Rider style steering wheel though. No stalks either.

50881894878_774756d2f5_b.jpg

If Picasso painted elephants.

ZFAtvGH.png

Soldato
now that you zoomed into it it does look uncomfortable for the wrists/arms ... had, also, wondered if it was modelled on one of the thunderbird vehicles,
since it looks like it would be easy for the marionettes to hold.

Noticed that suzuki have some very lax/disingenuous terminology .. tv advert for suzuki swift hybrid ... now, that would be a MILD hybrid, you won't escape the London charges

Soldato
A new XF is a 30 grand car... would you have done the same if they'd showed up in a Passat? :D
A valid point :D Does go to prove WJA96s point though. It is the perception more so than the value.

To be fair if my pension had performed better than my own investments I probably wouldn't have cared if they turned up in Bentley's.

Soldato
So after goign through every single electric car in budget I think the Mrs has decided on an ID3...

Life Spec
Stonewash Blue
18" Alloys
Mats

£215 per month based on 10500 miles per year on the NHS scheme.

We felt the 208/2008 may have been a bit tight space wise. The idea is we will use this as the day to day family car and the Superb will be my commute and caravan towing duties car. Reviews state the ID3 interior space is similar to that of a Passat so will be ideal.

First time going through this scheme so hopefully will go through with no dramas.

Soldato
So after goign through every single electric car in budget I think the Mrs has decided on an ID3...

Life Spec
Stonewash Blue
18" Alloys
Mats

£215 per month based on 10500 miles per year on the NHS scheme.

We felt the 208/2008 may have been a bit tight space wise. The idea is we will use this as the day to day family car and the Superb will be my commute and caravan towing duties car. Reviews state the ID3 interior space is similar to that of a Passat so will be ideal.

First time going through this scheme so hopefully will go through with no dramas.

The emergency services discounts are good. I've been looking at an i3 runabout and noticed £8k off to emergency service staff for a new one. Tempted to enquire but as an external (contractor) helping out for now I don't want to take advantage if the NHS are funding part of the discount :).

Shame the REX is not an option - quite fancy one with a range extender as a first step into the EV world for my daily runabout as may need to do occasional long journey - could get a few jerry cans for instant increase in range.

ID3 looks pretty good tbh

Caporegime
Is anybody charging off something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/amp-switched-interlock-socket-220V/dp/B00T9XH9E4/

And using it with a OHME charger plugged in, instead of a dedicated EV charger?

Reason I ask is that I'm getting a Polestar 2 soon, and I was just going to charge off the 10amp mains socket which I know is really slow. However, recent events where I was driving 120 miles a day unexpectedly after a family bereavement has made me realise it's worth having a faster charger at home.

However, the house is rented and we're looking to buy our own place at some point this year, and so I don't want to spend a lot on a dedicated charger for my landlords house (He is fine with me installing one), so I thought this would be the cheapest short-term home charging option until we move and then I can take advantage of the Home charger grant

Back
Top Bottom