When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Is anybody charging off something like this:

Yes a guy down the road from me took my advice and did exactly this with an Ohme commando version that he keeps in his boot, as he wanted to be able to use one charge r at 3 different properties, rather than having dedicated installs. He's got an EQC however, so not exactly fast to charge from empty to full even on the full 7.2kW.

I've chatted with him a few times since he's completed the install and the only drawback (in his opinion) is that he's had to install metal brackets to hang the Ohme on during charging as the parking could lead to it lying in a puddle if it were to rain.

Associate
I’m currently leasing a Golf R which is due back in July, paying £310 a month so insurance and fuel are obv big costs for this.

I work for the NHS so can take advantage of the NHS Fleet solutions scheme. They have a few special offers at present, Audi Etron 50 teknik spec for about £350/month and the 55 sport back Sline for £380/month. They have a billy basic ID3 for £240/month.

These are the special offers but you can order any car but some have super long lead times.

I’ve never had an electric car but very interested in them now as I can charge for free at work and plan to charge overnight at home for minimal amounts.

I don’t need a big car so the E tron although it’s nice inside I feel it’s a little too large and the poor range is not great. I won’t be travelling far, work commute is 5miles each way and only 3 times per week. Do like to go on plenty day trips though so range will be considered.

Does anyone have the ID3 and rate it? The videos I’ve watched give it plenty praise but I’m not sure I like the interior.

I can order a Tesla model 3 for £360/month but they can’t give any idea on wait times. I’d just want the basic spec so hopefully one would be available for quick delivery however aside from it being a Tesla, are there better electric cars out there such as the ID3.

Thanks!

Soldato
I’m currently leasing a Golf R which is due back in July, paying £310 a month so insurance and fuel are obv big costs for this.

I work for the NHS so can take advantage of the NHS Fleet solutions scheme. They have a few special offers at present, Audi Etron 50 teknik spec for about £350/month and the 55 sport back Sline for £380/month. They have a billy basic ID3 for £240/month.

These are the special offers but you can order any car but some have super long lead times.

I’ve never had an electric car but very interested in them now as I can charge for free at work and plan to charge overnight at home for minimal amounts.

I don’t need a big car so the E tron although it’s nice inside I feel it’s a little too large and the poor range is not great. I won’t be travelling far, work commute is 5miles each way and only 3 times per week. Do like to go on plenty day trips though so range will be considered.

Does anyone have the ID3 and rate it? The videos I’ve watched give it plenty praise but I’m not sure I like the interior.

I can order a Tesla model 3 for £360/month but they can’t give any idea on wait times. I’d just want the basic spec so hopefully one would be available for quick delivery however aside from it being a Tesla, are there better electric cars out there such as the ID3.

Thanks!

I would definitely watch a few videos on the build quality and software on the eTron and iD3. The Tesla gets beaten with the ‘poor build quality’ stick and it’s not fabulous, and I would suggest it’s still on a par with the current VAG products for being likely to have bits break or fall off.

You really need to try them. I’m sure the eTron will be lovely inside and make you feel fabulous. The iD3 just doesn’t do anything for me. I had a Tesla M3 Performance and it was great, right up until I crashed it (my fault). I decided that I didn’t really suit saloons But if you can live with the boot, the Tesla M3, even as the SR+ Model, is a great car. Obviously the NHS procurement scheme may have different supply routes but you can 100% get an iD3 immediately at a dealer at the moment, eTrons are available at less than 2 weeks notice if you’re not fussed on colour and there are currently 28 model 3 Standard Range Plus showing in inventory on the Tesla website at the moment so you shouldn’t have to wait very long for one of those either.

I don’t think you’d be really unhappy with any of them though, especially if you’re only spending a minutes per day in them.

Soldato
Bit the bullet and ordered a Model S Plaid + to replace my M3P which replaced a Model S P100D.

I was told the eta Dec 2021-Feb 2022

7LurZw4.png
9ojYjr7.png

X34JNQU.png

Nice. I’ve specified zero options on mine. The 21’s look stunning but from past experience I’ll be happier with the 19’s for comfort and efficiency. Plus 21’s added £100/month to the already silly lease cost.

Soldato
Nice. I’ve specified zero options on mine. The 21’s look stunning but from past experience I’ll be happier with the 19’s for comfort and efficiency. Plus 21’s added £100/month to the already silly lease cost.

The white is nice as that’s what I have in my M3P now but it had dark wheels and black trim (I got it dechromed when chrome was standard). I’m not sure how it will look with silver wheels in person.

Soldato
The white is nice as that’s what I have in my M3P now but it had dark wheels and black trim (I got it dechromed when chrome was standard). I’m not sure how it will look with silver wheels in person.

It won’t look as nice as yours, that’s pretty much nailed on. But the interior will be the same and the performance, comfort and efficiency should be the best they can be.

Soldato
Very tempted to bite the bullet and go electric soon. I've just moved roles and have the following available to me now within the company car scheme. I'll try and get a test drive of them all (which is proving tricky atm), but what are peoples thoughts?

AUDI E-TRON ESTATE 230KW 50 QUATTRO 71KWH BLACK ED 5DR AUTO [C+S]
FORD MUSTANG MACH-E ESTATE 198KW STANDARD RANGE 68KWH AWD 5DR AUTO
TESLA MODEL 3 SALOON LONG RANGE AWD 4DR AUTO
LEXUS UX300e S/W
POLESTAR POLESTAR 2 FASTBACK SPECIAL EDITION 300KW PILOT PLUS 78KWH DUAL MOTOR 5DR 4WD AUTO

Soldato
eTron, I have my doubts about the build quality and I still haven’t forgiven VAG for ruining diesels. Servicing is a complete rip-off. And they can be a bit poverty spec compared to other electric cars.
Mustang Mach-e - totally unknown quantity.
Model 3 LR - Supercharger network could be important if you do a lot of miles. If you don’t then it’s a nice to have. I like Tesla as a company.
Lexus UX300e - I’m certain it will be impeccably built and will serve you well. Dealers really define best-in-class in the UK at the moment. Range is shocking.
Polestar - I’ve not heard anything bad about it. They actually resolved most of their issues before launch (even though it meant customers had to wait). The owners I’ve chatted to at chargers over the last few months only report good things about them.

From that list I’d go Polestar or M3 LR depending on whether or not you like saloons or hatches.

Last edited:
Soldato
What are your requirements? Space? Range? Prices etc?

The Tesla is the best EV but the others have better elements which may be important to you, e.g. you need a hatch back.

Soldato
What are your requirements? Space? Range? Prices etc?

The Tesla is the best EV but the others have better elements which may be important to you, e.g. you need a hatch back.
We've got 2 kids (and maybe a third within the lease period) so space for children plus the nonsense they come with is important.

I've got an A650TDI at the moment, so something at least comparable performance wise would also be important. Range isn't that important, as long as it can do 200 miles there will be no issues.

All the ones listed are within the schemes price for my role, and given the BIK for electric cars is zero (and only 1/2% in the next few years), the price for the above isn't important. Servicing, insurance etc also isn't important as that's covered through the scheme.

Soldato
eTron, I have my doubts about the build quality and I still haven’t forgiven VAG for ruining diesels. Servicing is a complete rip-off. And they can be a bit poverty spec compared to other electric cars.

From that list I’d go Polestar or M3 LR depending on whether or not you like saloons or hatches.

Ignoring the servicing aspect, which i'd guess is included in the scheme anyway, what about the Black Edition eTron is 'poverty spec' vs the Polestar and M3LR?

Plenty of reviews knock them for not having the range or speed they ought to for their price (price is also presumably not a significant issue as a company car) but not seen any knocking them for being 'poverty spec'

Soldato
Range isn't that important, as long as it can do 200 miles there will be no issues.

Whilst not the most scientific of tests, when carwow did their 'how far until they die?' EV group test, the eTron managed 206 miles before giving up on the hard shoulder.

Soldato
Ignoring the servicing aspect, which i'd guess is included in the scheme anyway, what about the Black Edition eTron is 'poverty spec' vs the Polestar and M3LR?

Plenty of reviews knock them for not having the range or speed they ought to for their price (price is also presumably not a significant issue as a company car) but not seen any knocking them for being 'poverty spec'

On the Black Edition, there are no driver aids at all. Now maybe you don’t want or need reversing cameras or lane assist, or automatic emergency braking or adaptive cruise control, which is fine, but they’re all standard on all the other cars on that list. Heck, they’re standard on an MG ZS. The electric steering column and both front seat memory are standard on the Tesla.

Multi-zone climate control is £825 extra. The decent stereo is £800 more again. Even on the [C+S] spec. Glass roof? £1500. Although it does open.

The ability to pre-heat or cool the car from MyAudi is even an option. On a £68K car! And there is no heated windscreen. Even as an option.

Audi do marketing exceptionally well. Huge wheels and tyres. Beautiful interior. But if you want all the toys, most other electric cars have them as standard. The difference between the Black Edition and the fully loaded Vorsprung is £26,000. That’s a lot of extras you’re not getting in the Black Edition.

Soldato
On the Black Edition, there are no driver aids at all. Now maybe you don’t want or need reversing cameras or lane assist, or automatic emergency braking or adaptive cruise control, which is fine, but they’re all standard on all the other cars on that list. Heck, they’re standard on an MG ZS. The electric steering column and both front seat memory are standard on the Tesla.

Multi-zone climate control is £825 extra. The decent stereo is £800 more again. Even on the [C+S] spec. Glass roof? £1500. Although it does open.

The ability to pre-heat or cool the car from MyAudi is even an option. On a £68K car! And there is no heated windscreen. Even as an option.

Audi do marketing exceptionally well. Huge wheels and tyres. Beautiful interior. But if you want all the toys, most other electric cars have them as standard. The difference between the Black Edition and the fully loaded Vorsprung is £26,000. That’s a lot of extras you’re not getting in the Black Edition.

I get some of those options being at cost but reversing camera is standard even in budget cars now. For heated windscreen that can't be right, it's a legal requirement to have a defrost function etc. Unless you mean no option for an embedded wire heater which most cars don't have as it's expensive as Ford own the patent for that or something like that.

Soldato
The one thing that trumps all others at this time for Tesla is the supercharging network. Whilst the general public charging 7/22/50kw chargers are around more and more, the Supercharging network wins hands down.

Others are trying to catch up but it's not there yet.

I guess it depends on what mileage/type of mileage you do. If it's lot of motorway driving and potential 300/400 mile days - no question you need a Tesla. Pottering around 20/30/40 miles a day - anything generally works.

Soldato
reversing cameras
lane assist
automatic emergency braking
adaptive cruise control
electric steering column
both front seat memory
Multi-zone climate control
decent stereo
Glass roof
ability to pre-heat or cool the car
heated windscreen. Even as an option.

Agreed some of these are definitely on the tight side.

Reversing camera is included as far as i can see
LA/AEB/ACC ought to be standard agreed
steering column wouldn't worry me
driver seat memory is plenty for most i'd have thought
again, 2 zone is probably ok for most, 4 zone isn't critical

It is under-specced from what I expected, i'll admit, but i think calling it 'poverty spec' is probably sensationalising it a bit.

Back
Top Bottom