• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I find it interesting that RT is supposed to save us from faked lighting effects, but it requires faked resolution to do so.

We are just trading one cheat for another.

if one magic cheat looks better than the other then why not, arguing about it is just Symantics- you guys sound like old people who complain that young people can't drive manual gearboxes

Soldato
Cyberpunk, 1440p, tried all of the DLSS settings and the drop in image quality especially in the distance wasn’t worth it for me.

Quake II RTX is incredible though :)
What now, is DLSS in Quake II RTX? I know there’s dynamic scaling but wasnt aware of DLSS

Man of Honour
Yeah no DLSS in Quake 2 due to licensing issues :( otherwise the framerate would be crazy like 200+ FPS at 1440p while looking pretty much like 1440p kind of thing.

The temporal upscaling does approximate the performance difference if DLSS was in play but doesn't have the image quality uplift of DLSS.

Caporegime
Well guys, as much as I have bitched about the RTX 3090 being awful value for money, and it is, I just managed to snag a customer return at my local store for £1300. :eek: A Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC that is currently £1889 at OCUK ▷ Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

I would never have bought this at current market prices due to it's appalling value, but to get one at below the original UK launch MSRP, and so far below current inflated prices, with the 3 year manufacturers warranty remaining, is just too much of an opportunity for me to pass up:
  • 3080's are now going for crazy prices and only have 10GB VRAM.
  • It will retain a lot of resale value over the next 12-18 months of supply hell meaning that considering the low price I bought it, the depreciation will be tolerable.
  • A 3080Ti 20GB would/will likely end up a similar price due to the demand.
So, this situation leaves with me with mixed feelings as I am vehemently against this card in principle, but the lower-than-FE-MSRP price for a good Gigabyte OC model has made it a worthwhile purchase when rationally taking into account the current market situation and future outlook. I guess "there's no such thing as a bad card, only a bad price" adage holds up here. Mostly.

It's a funny old world... just hope it fits in my case. :o

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
@TNA :o

Look forward to seeing you in the 3090 RoH thread pal! :)
No chance ;)

I just read the post you quoted though. After repeatedly saying the 3090 was for mugs, mugs edition this, mugs edition that, he ended up with one. Hahahahaha.

I recon my next gen card will be something like a RTX 4070 16GB is enough for me edition. That card should be on par if not better than a 3090 I recon. If the second hand market persists the way it does, I may even make a profit during the transition :p:D

Man of Honour
Associate
No chance ;)

I just read the post you quoted though. After repeatedly saying the 3090 was for mugs, mugs edition this, mugs edition that, he ended up with one. Hahahahaha.

I recon my next gen card will be something like a RTX 4070 16GB is enough for me edition. That card should be on par if not better than a 3090 I recon. If the second hand market persists the way it does, I may even make a profit during the transition :p:D
The 4070 will have the same fps as a 3080 within 5% anyway I'd guess you can probably skip a generation. I'm trying to get an Asus TUF 3080 for the quiet cooling but that would just be a nice bonus, down to stock alerts and luck.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
The 4070 will have the same fps as a 3080 within 5% anyway I'd guess you can probably skip a generation. I'm trying to get an Asus TUF 3080 for the quiet cooling but that would just be a nice bonus, down to stock alerts and luck.

Not a lot of either lately. :(

Back
Top Bottom