Luxury car for £6000...

Soldato
Question to OP. Are you only considering 4x4's i.e. Rangies or, would you consider saloons? if we're literally focused on Range Rovers, then you simply just have to find a minter and make your mind up tbh. Set your budget, of you trundle?

Man of Honour
then you simply just have to find a minter

Which is the problem.

There are no mint 6k Range Rovers. If a Range Rover is mint it costs more than 6k. Instead you just get older higher mileage multi owner cars or badly modified stuff etc. This is the bottom of the market.

Associate
OP
Question to OP. Are you only considering 4x4's i.e. Rangies or, would you consider saloons? if we're literally focused on Range Rovers, then you simply just have to find a minter and make your mind up tbh. Set your budget, of you trundle?
I'll be honest, I want an SUV, that is truly a 4x4. So thinks like vauxhall mokkas and qashqais are out of the question. I don't want a range rover sport, but would consider a discovery 3. However, my favourite is the Full Fat RR vogue. The vogue SE I linked earlier is in London, so 200 miles from me. I've had a video call with the seller and he's sent me videos and photos of every angle of the car, including every receipt and each page in the service book. The engine has been maintained regardless of the cost and the receipts show premium products have been used with no expense spared. It has new pirelli tyres all around and several major components changed at some point in its life. Importantly, it's had the gearbox serviced.

Associate
OP
Which is the problem.

There are no mint 6k Range Rovers. If a Range Rover is mint it costs more than 6k. Instead you just get older higher mileage multi owner cars or badly modified stuff etc. This is the bottom of the market.
Tosh. You can buy them on eBay, in condition as you've described for £3000-£5000. The average price on autotrader and eBay for an 06 - 09 Vogue is £6500. High mileage doesn't mean it's not mint... I have had 10 year old cars with 30k and they were dog rough and I've had 25 year old cars with 170k and they were minters.

Caporegime
Tosh. You can buy them on eBay, in condition as you've described for £3000-£5000. The average price on autotrader and eBay for an 06 - 09 Vogue is £6500. High mileage doesn't mean it's not mint... I have had 10 year old cars with 30k and they were dog rough and I've had 25 year old cars with 170k and they were minters.

I suspect you're talking about Rovers or something, a £6k range rover is quite possibly the biggest gamble in the automotive world, and the odds are stacked very much against you. Range Rovers at this price are fairly highly likely to have been owned by a wannabe baller with no money who keeps it running on a shoestring budget and sells because it's too expensive to keep. It'll have ditchfinders, parts from wish.com and brakes that wake the dead every time to stomp on the pedal. I'll put good money on leaking suspension too.

Of course you might get lucky and if you hold out whilst looking frequently you can turn it in your favour but you'll have your work cut out.

You'd be absolutely mental to buy such a complicated car at this price range.

Associate
I'll be honest, I want an SUV, that is truly a 4x4. So thinks like vauxhall mokkas and qashqais are out of the question. I don't want a range rover sport, but would consider a discovery 3. However, my favourite is the Full Fat RR vogue. The vogue SE I linked earlier is in London, so 200 miles from me. I've had a video call with the seller and he's sent me videos and photos of every angle of the car, including every receipt and each page in the service book. The engine has been maintained regardless of the cost and the receipts show premium products have been used with no expense spared. It has new pirelli tyres all around and several major components changed at some point in its life. Importantly, it's had the gearbox serviced.

have you considered a Land Cruiser?

Caporegime

I think your definition of "Mint" may be slightly different than others.

Soldato
Sounds like decision made, will you go down and drive yourself or take a punt you think and just get it shipped to you?

Associate
OP
have you considered a Land Cruiser?
Yeh, I looked at most SUVs and other than the XC90 and range rover, I'm not a fan of their looks or design.
Sounds like decision made, will you go down and drive yourself or take a punt you think and just get it shipped to you?
I will get the train and test drive and plug it in to my diagnostic machine. Check it all over etc.

Associate
OP
I think your definition of "Mint" may be slightly different than others.
I suppose the term 'MINT' is subjective. I consider an item to be in mint condition when it's clean for its age and shows little signs of wear. I'll use my TT as an example. It's got some body work issues but the car is mechanically mint. If the body work matched the condition of the engine, it would be a mint car. It's not and therefore worth less than one with higher mileage but in better overall condition.

Man of Honour
Tosh. You can buy them on eBay, in condition as you've described for £3000-£5000.

No they're not.

I suppose the term 'MINT' is subjective. I consider an item to be in mint condition when it's clean for its age and shows little signs of wear.

Fortunately we don't need to be subjective because we can just look the word up in the dictionary. Mint has a specific meaning:

unused or appearing to be newly made and never used: a book in mint condition.

It comes from the term 'minted' as in a newly minted coin - fresh and free from imperfection. Everything a 15 year old Range Rover isn't.

Very few if any 15 year old cars are mint - those that are rest in private collections with enormous price tags. Certainly no £6k Range Rover is mint. Most are tatty and life expired. These cars are at the end of their useful life - they have no real future except in the hands of either enthusiasts who like them and like to work on them or people after a load of flash for not much cash.

It is quite common to find older sports cars which could be argued to be approaching 'mint' condition - such cars are used sparingly, perhaps only at weekends, do not need to reliable day in day out and thus lend themselves to being in a collection or used as an occasional toy thats kept in the garage. A Range Rover or an executive saloon is not a sports car - it's entire purpose is different. They are designed to be used day in day out to provide reliable, hassle free and luxurious transport that you can depend on without needing to spend an evening underneath it fixing it. Once this stops being the case, they become useless to most people and the values crash because nobody wants one.

This is why they are £6k when they used to cost £60k.

Associate
It's not unlucky to find a 15 year old car requires regular work, it's entirely expected. Nothing lasts for ever.

I wouldn't say it's expected at all. Depends what you're into, plenty of older cars (late 90s to 2010s) are reliable cars. Also depends what you call work, it's not a hard and fast rule but when a car is 10y old and has done 100k miles, it'll probably benefit from its moving suspension parts being replaced, but I wouldn't expect to have to do engine work.

Are they though? Especially with the RR Sports there always seem to be an alarming number of them in the "non runners" sections at the auctions. Otherwise lovely cars, i had a petrol V8 L322. Personally though, i think their time has really passed now - remember that these are actually a 20 year old car.

Just going off what I've heard, I'm certainly not brave enough to buy one that old. With something like a RR I'd want to be able to enjoy the RR ownership experience (including dropping it off at RR and having a nosey round the new stuff when it breaks, but not everyone's the same).

Back
Top Bottom