NIO Cars

Soldato
Have you guys seen the cars NIO are making? they really seem to put Tesla to shame when it comes to design and quality.

https://www.nio.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg1hcG9Z0OY&t=189s

I have a feeling they are going to do well, especially if they manage to get the battery swap infrastructure in place.

The ET7 has a 600 miles range, 650 bhp, and cost £60k + a battery lease.
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...ET7-family-car-cost-60k-620-miles-charge.html

I have made quite a big bet on the company with the aim of a long term hold.

So what do you guys think?

Soldato
I have made quite a big bet on the company with the aim of a long term hold.

So what do you guys think?
2021, the year that everyone talks like they are Warren Buffett :p

I think we'll need to wait and see because it is very different delivering <50,000 cars to Tesla's almost 500,000. Also hard to gain traction with a £60k product in a global market with a brand most people haven't heard of.

Soldato
Looks as ugly as a Tesla :eek:

spec sounds decent though

Nah, Teslas are weirdly ugly. They're non-descript if caught out the corner of your eye, but the front is too low or something when you look at them? I can't put my finger on it, do they look a bit like a catfish?

Soldato
Looks like a decent car.

In terms of the company. The issue I see with Chinese brands is as good as their products might be, the public perception of anything made by a Chinese company is very weak.There seems to be a divide; if products are designed outside of China but built in China then it’s okay. Anything that originates from China, i.e. is designed by a Chinese company and built there, then it gets bad press from some groups.

The bottom line - they have some way to go before they achieve trust in the developed world.

Caporegime
Yep, I'm pretty sure the Chinese won't be focusing on fart sounds and other absolute cack that Elon seems to think is required.

Tesla's software isn't all that, outside of autopilot I'm not sure that it's anything special.

So outside of the main part of the software it is nothing special :p, having loads of cars on the road so you can develop the software faster is a massive advantage for Tesla.

Autonomous and AI are everything going forward, I suppose the Chinese will be very good at data collection and analysis though.

Caporegime
Autonomous and AI are everything going forward, I suppose the Chinese will be very good at data collection and analysis though.

That's just it though, the Chinese do data capture and analysis very well and they have a huge populous so once cars start getting onto the streets they'll have the ability to catch up in that one area that isn't currently that important anyway due to localised legislation.

The Chinese will be able to do it cheaper as well, with both locally sourced hardware and control of the entire stack.

The other areas of Tesla's software aren't all that. The interface is janky at best.

Associate
The ET7 measures in at 5,098mm long, 1,987mm wide ... yea that will be fun in the average U.K. car park.

My Q7 measures 5,063 mm L x 1,968 mm W x 1,740-1,741 mm H so it's about the same size. Large passenger space equals large exterior. They make other sized cars as well that are smaller. The sooner we can break the German monopoly on quality cars in the UK the better.

Soldato
The Chinese still use NEDC I think, so you can drop 1/3 off that number for the real world. But still it has a 150kwh battery, it’s going to be going pretty far on a charge.

Isn’t this the company that allegedly ‘borrowed’ Tesla’s software? I seem to recall even the dash animations were similar.

The crossover type car is more interesting IMO, cheaper and in a more popular segment.

There’s also no way that will be £60k in Europe, there are huge EV incentives in China. Then factor in import tariffs, VAT and the battery lease.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't think so. No review I've read has mentioned poor software on the large Chinese makes. The Chinese are coming and that is a good thing for shaking up the lethargic Western manufacturers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesm...cles-to-look-out-for-in-2021/?sh=20b8ae7d75dd

I'm not talking about the user interface or stuff you see on the screen, I'm talking about the massive amount of development and learning which has gone on at Tesla for self driving, this has been fueled by in house innovation and data from real world cars driving around, something which Nio has far fewer of, therefore has far less real world data.

The above will clearly change, but Tesla has a massive head start.

Back
Top Bottom