Which Docker containers are you using?

Associate
Setup my home UnRaid server, during lockdown, May ’20 using old PC parts. Previously used a Synology DS416play.

Intel Core i7-3770d
ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
16GB DDR3
1 x 1TB SSD Cache
1 x 4GB WD Red Parity
4 x 4GB WD Red Data
In-Win IW-MS04-01 - Mini-ITX NAS Case (recent upgrade)
APC BX-700UI UPS

Docker containers used:
DelugevVPN (Torrent client with VPN built in, most of the other Dockers use the VPN as well)
NginxProxyManager (reverse proxy which lets me connect to my server outside my network)
mariadb (Database used for various containers mainly Nextcloud)
Nextcloud (Similar to Dropbox)
Jackett
Krusader (File manager)
Radarr
Sonarr
Duckdns
Duplicati (Local and Dropbox Basic backups)
Pihole (Ad blocker)
Plex (using Quick Sync for transcoding)
Tautulli
Bitwardenrs (password manager)
Emby (similar to Plex)
Overseerr

I’ve cancelled subs. Evernote Plus (now using Joplin and Nextcloud), Dropbox Plus (using Nextcloud) and 1password (using Bitwardenrs).

Docker containers and UnRaid have totally transformed the use of my home server. Interested to hear what Dockers other people are using. Next project will be CCTV and home automation.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s a bit of a game changer compared to the Synology offerings unless you pay enough for an x64 CPU and you still end up paying over the odds for low end CPU/RAM config a while paying too whack. While Docker runs on almost anything, UnRAID makes it easy, my main gripe is we seem to have fallen into the trap that every single application needs its own docker image, on interlinked images that can be less efficient than say running a bunch of them inside the same docker container - but that’s a conversation for another project.

SAB’ or ‘Get in preference to torrents - avoids hammering your uplink and will saturate your connection easily, no ratio and stupidly cheap (possibly free depending on your ISP).

Hydra2 - if you want to centralise indexing/searching (like Jacket).

Rclone - mount various online cloud storage platforms for backup etc. Who can say no to free online backups or unlimited cloud storage for a few quid a month? (May be changing, 2 years notice seems to have been hinted at).

Xteve or Tuners - I’ll let you work out why, but it makes Plex a more rounded offering. I also use HDHR and a Unicable SAT set-up for freeview content, but by that stage you probably want to be looking at TVH and doing it properly as Plex PVR is OK with a little patients.

Emby/Jellyfin - Plex is nice, Plex Amp and Dash are decent, Emby has better IPTV support and could be nice if they stopped being dumb about licences/picking petty fights with JF. JF is essentially Plex/Emby without the paywall on advanced features and is finally getting to a point where the client support is OK and this year should see it push further. I say that having lifetime subscriptions to both Plex and Emby, but have been cheering JF on from day 1.

Tautulli - Makes administrating/logging Plex easier, the scripting support allows a lot of control over user actions, like auto locking anyone dumb enough to try and transcode down 4K.

Lidarr - sonarr/radarr but for audio

I’m sure I have missed a few, but it’s been a long night and I CBA to log in/look.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I'll have a look at Rclone. I missed Emby and Tautulli from my list. I prefer Plex (have Plex Pass also) just seems more polished although I've hardly used Emby.

Soldato
(May be changing, 2 years notice seems to have been hinted at).

What are the rumours?

The price has jumped i reckon 20-30% over the last 2 years, and i know Google had a revamp with their consumer storage offerings, so was hopeful they'd leave gsuite alone.

Soldato
What are the rumours?

The price has jumped i reckon 20-30% over the last 2 years, and i know Google had a revamp with their consumer storage offerings, so was hopeful they'd leave gsuite alone.

Surely if you have an active account you got the last email a few weeks back laying out it’s commitment to planned changes timescales and the earlier ones with the new pricing structures in? Change is coming...

Soldato
Surely if you have an active account you got the last email a few weeks back laying out it’s commitment to planned changes timescales and the earlier ones with the new pricing structures in? Change is coming...

Nope doesn't look like it, last email was 8th Jan outlining smart features and personalisation settings. Previous one before that was 8th December for new admin controls with AppSheet.

Maybe you were on an older plan that's now been updated to bring the price in line with current plans?

Okay i see the email was back in October, i'd already been converted to the business standard account. It'll be interesting to see if they enforce the storage limit for Google Workspace. I don't think i've had any errors to say i can't upload to it, and i'm well over the 2TB capacity limit.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm running various Dockers on my Synology DS1815+ (only the + models do Dockers I think).

Been playing around a bit with Plex vs Emby vs Jellyfin. So far I've found that Emby backend with Kodi clients is working best for me. I have a lot of anime stuff which needs subs. Plex forces transcode on subs, Jellyfin isn't there yet with 4k/HDR content, so it's down to Emby to cover my bases.

1MrmbmQ.png

Soldato
docker.png

I also run linuxserver/swag (Lets Encrypt) periodically to renew my wildcard domain cert, and I have a scheduled script that spins up a Docker instance to back up the BitwardenRS server database and plonk it into my cloud storage folder, and then deletes the Docker container until next time.

I run Plex and Emby bare metal as I found it easier for hardware transcode etc.

ETA: They're at 28 days. I smell patch day this weekend. :p I update All The Things (router, workstation, servers, Docker etc) on the last Sunday of the month usually.

Last edited:
Associate
Unraid is amazing and I have found Docker containers really useful. My Unraid server is in a cheap 4U rack chassis, at the moment running a Ryzen APU in it, does superbly but when I ever upgrade my 3900X, I'll probably move that into the Unraid server.

Anyway, Docker wise I've got:
  • binhex-krusader - really useful file explorer type application (looks a lot like Norton Commander for anyone old enough to remember it!) and very useful for copying files around manually.
  • bitwardenrs - local Bitwarden server. Installed it to see what Bitwarden was all about, but not really used it as I use a different open source password manager now. Should probably remove the Docker image.
  • Duckdns - refreshes my Duckdns entry periodically.
  • Home-Assistant-Core -Home Assistant for smart home products. Use it to control Philips Hue lighting and have the lights come on automatically around dusk.
  • Jellyfin - mainly used so my wife and I can stream music from the Unraid box to our phones etc
  • openvpn-as - OpenVPN access server. I can then VPN into the Unraid server from outside the network. Really, really useful!
  • P3R-Brave-Browser - runs the Brave web browser in a Docker. Useful if I want to do some browsing but without wanting to shut down my computer - just do it all off the Docker container and leave it running on the Unraid server.
  • pihole - everyone knows it? Local DNS for blocking known advert URLs/IP addresses. I support the pihole project via Patreon, it's that useful.
  • Shinobi - free open source CCTV software. Records all the footage from home CCTV cameras to the Unraid server.
  • youtube-dl-server - tool for downloading YouTube videos as video/audio for offline viewing. Really useful tool, although periodically I have to bounce the container as it seems to get 'stuck' after doing a few downloads.
Plugin wise:
  • Fix common problems - absolutely essential IMHO
  • Community Applications - as above
  • unBALANCE - really useful. Lets you manually move the contents of disks in your array around. Really neat.

Pet Northerner
Don
Unraid is amazing and I have found Docker containers really useful. My Unraid server is in a cheap 4U rack chassis, at the moment running a Ryzen APU in it, does superbly but when I ever upgrade my 3900X, I'll probably move that into the Unraid server.

Anyway, Docker wise I've got:
  • binhex-krusader - really useful file explorer type application (looks a lot like Norton Commander for anyone old enough to remember it!) and very useful for copying files around manually.
  • bitwardenrs - local Bitwarden server. Installed it to see what Bitwarden was all about, but not really used it as I use a different open source password manager now. Should probably remove the Docker image.
  • Duckdns - refreshes my Duckdns entry periodically.
  • Home-Assistant-Core -Home Assistant for smart home products. Use it to control Philips Hue lighting and have the lights come on automatically around dusk.
  • Jellyfin - mainly used so my wife and I can stream music from the Unraid box to our phones etc
  • openvpn-as - OpenVPN access server. I can then VPN into the Unraid server from outside the network. Really, really useful!
  • P3R-Brave-Browser - runs the Brave web browser in a Docker. Useful if I want to do some browsing but without wanting to shut down my computer - just do it all off the Docker container and leave it running on the Unraid server.
  • pihole - everyone knows it? Local DNS for blocking known advert URLs/IP addresses. I support the pihole project via Patreon, it's that useful.
  • Shinobi - free open source CCTV software. Records all the footage from home CCTV cameras to the Unraid server.
  • youtube-dl-server - tool for downloading YouTube videos as video/audio for offline viewing. Really useful tool, although periodically I have to bounce the container as it seems to get 'stuck' after doing a few downloads.
Plugin wise:
  • Fix common problems - absolutely essential IMHO
  • Community Applications - as above
  • unBALANCE - really useful. Lets you manually move the contents of disks in your array around. Really neat.

Which APU are you using? I'm installing unraid into my homserver this weekend to give it a try (once the RMA'd PSU turns up). I've imstalled an M2000 to help with plex transcoding but trying to decide if the 3200G could be upgraded.

Associate
Which APU are you using? I'm installing unraid into my homserver this weekend to give it a try (once the RMA'd PSU turns up). I've imstalled an M2000 to help with plex transcoding but trying to decide if the 3200G could be upgraded.

Only a 2400G with 16GB of 3600 MHz memory. Seems to handle everything that gets thrown at it, the only time there's any evidence of slowdown is when the box does a weekly parity check.

50497302723_106ea3f3c5_o.png

Soldato
Deluge
However I also have a Plex server on my main rig as my lowly 2700k Unraid server can only deal with 1080p or below.

It's a 2-3 1080p transcode CPU, the only way anyone transcodes 4K is using HW though surely? I mean you'd be nuts to throw 14K+ of CPU mark at trying to do it in software.

Soldato
I run a few docker containers but prefer bare metal for Plex and JellyFin, I also have an old netbook (Deluge and Pihole DNS1) and an RPI3b (TVHeadEnd with a TVHat)

Sonarr
Radarr
Lidarr
Airsonic
Booksonic
Youtube-dl
Pihole (DNS2)
Jackett
Ombi
Unifi Controller

Server is an old E3 1260 with 32GB DDR3, 2x 1.5tb 2x 4tb 2x 2tb and a 256gb SSD boot drive.

Soldato
Sonarr
Jackett
Openvpn client
Grafana
Prometheus
Gitlab
Unifi controller

Hardware is a Dell 9020 USFF i5 4570s,16gb ram, 256gb ssd. Docker is running on a vm as the host is proxmox which also runs pihole, wireguard and mariadb in separate vms.

Back
Top Bottom