Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
m600 gonna be more stable than gig1?

It’ll be no different to M500 other than the profile, the UBR needs an update/reboot, those of us who have a reasonable service will likely continue to experience the same and those who don’t will continue as they were unless the actual issue they experience is resolved. Gig1/SH4 moves downstream to DOCSIS 4, it’ll be a while before everything goes that way, but once it does, that’s when things can scale up further, latency should see slight improvements and uplink could potentially be adjusted, but it’s still early days.

Soldato
is superhub3 able to do 1gig or is it hub4 only? just wondering how much power the hub3 has.

It’s nothing to do with ‘power’, it’s all to do with supporting DOCSIS4 and the number of channels the chipset will allow to be bonded. SH4 is D4, SH3 is D3.1, I could be wrong, but I thought this had been covered when you asked previously?

Soldato
Had a last gasp call from someone at VM yesterday, thought it might be about my complaint I issued, but it was just someone trying to convince me that the best deal they can offer is £38pm for 350Mbps service. Told them until I am blue in the face that why should I pay more than others who are getting it for £24 pm and that I only want the faster upload anyway, and I'd be more than happy with 108/35 service but they don't want to offer it.

I'm very happy with my new setup, I pay about 1/4 of what VM wanted and a typical connection is 80/30, sometimes quiet a bit faster down. Still waiting for my external antenna to test, and I've been told that the 5G mast will be up and running here soon, so may even switch to that as it is included with the SIM I have, speeds for the 5G seem to be about 300/120, which literally cannot be beaten on price even factoring the cost of a the hardware over only 6 months, still more competition is good right? :)

tEFA0Xy.png

Last edited:
Soldato
It would be nice if sales could make their case without trashing the competition
When I left, they asked me where I was going and then went on about how BT will never be able to give me the speed they advertise...

I can't actually believe that sort of crap is actually sanctioned. She kept insisting it was true even after I told her that it's a proper fibre to the house connection.

My BT connection has been solid and hit full speeds all the time since I had it installed.

Soldato
I think it could be a genuine case where staff at vm are told no one can match vm speeds and these staff members are not usually techies to know whats available etc.
Guy i was on the phone to with vm didnt seem to know what fttp was and kept saying its gonna go through your bt phone line.

Caporegime
It will be one of those things employees get judged on in a performance review, they need to be pushy and try whatever they can to retain a customer.

We can all pretend we're perfect at work but we'll have said things that aren't strictly true, either through following company protocol or to keep someone on side.

If you know your stuff it's not an issue as you can brush it aside, it's the folks who haven't got a clue and fall for it I feel sorry for. Usually the older generation :(

Man of Honour
It will be one of those things employees get judged on in a performance review, they need to be pushy and try whatever they can to retain a customer.

We can all pretend we're perfect at work but we'll have said things that aren't strictly true, either through following company protocol or to keep someone on side.

If you know your stuff it's not an issue as you can brush it aside, it's the folks who haven't got a clue and fall for it I feel sorry for. Usually the older generation :(

Had it at work once when we had a area or regional manager or something come in to do a presentation/motivational thing and was telling complete lies about the practises of a competitor by name and advocating people use those as bullet points when dealing with would be customers. I was just standing there like on the one hand itching to set the record straight on the other hand realising it wasn't the time, place or worth the hassle.

Soldato
There's sales tactics to secure a renewal and there's outright lies.

I was told by the retentions bloke who called me that "There is no way you'll get more than 20Mbps download an 5Mbps upload on 4G" I asked him to provide his works e-mail address and that of his boss, so I could message them with some screen shots (as above) showing that my £9pm 4G Three SIM was better than anything they could offer, unless I was one of 'the chosen few'.

Soldato
I was told by the retentions bloke who called me that "There is no way you'll get more than 20Mbps download an 5Mbps upload on 4G" I asked him to provide his works e-mail address and that of his boss, so I could message them with some screen shots (as above) showing that my £9pm 4G Three SIM was better than anything they could offer, unless I was one of 'the chosen few'.

My brother only gets 6Mbps on Three 4G network in my house, so for me going 4G is backwards speed wise(10Mbps on Plusnet), no 5G on my street so only option is Virgin fibre or slow ADSL, anyway find out this Thursday if Virgin can install my BB/phone (booked for 8am to 1pm by them). Hopefully 4th time lucky, there was cable roadwork repairs on my street last week, so hoping they have fixed the outside street cable issue.

Soldato
My brother only gets 6Mbps on Three 4G network in my house, so for me going 4G is backwards speed wise(10Mbps on Plusnet), no 5G on my street so only option is Virgin fibre or slow ADSL, anyway find out this Thursday if Virgin can install my BB/phone (booked for 8am to 1pm by them). Hopefully 4th time lucky, there was cable roadwork repairs on my street last week, so hoping they have fixed the outside street cable issue.

Or you could look at one of the many other mobile providers, Vodafone, EE, or O2. You can get unlimited 5G EE SIM for only £27 per month, falls back to 4G if no coverage, you also can get a decent price unlimited SIM from Vodafone (4G or 5G) and either only a 30 day contract or a 12 months if you prefer a bit longer and cheaper per month. The best thing to do is either buy some cheap PAYG SIMS with 1GB or more of data, and test them around your house to see who/what gives you the best coverage/speed.

Back
Top Bottom