Leon FR to a Jag XF-S as am I mad ?

Soldato
Been half looking at a XF-S

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...code=ox52xp&exclude-delivery-option=on&page=1

as much as I leon FR 1.4 FR 150hp (2017 with 31k on the clock) kinda got a itch to get something else and get something nice with a V6, no was'nt keen on the idea of something like a BMW or a Audi, didn't want to get to old and lose some mod con's i've come accustomed to.

here is the thing, I've never driven a auto and I've only been driving 20 months so would it be to much of a step up ?

Also I hear Jags are not very reliable is this true to a significant point over my current Leon?, as much as I would love something with more power and abit of sound, I'm only doing short trips atm. While getting it into the garage width wise would be fine length wise ill have to keep the door open :D

Anyways SAY I did sell the Leon to pay for something like a XF-S what kinda things should I look out for ?

Soldato
sounds better than my little 1.4 anyways :D
It doesn't.

XF is a nice car. I enjoyed mine. Infotainment is decent but satnav is total garbage. There is no step up in terms of learning curve, this is just a big old barge compared to your nimble little go kart. It'll feel like a comfy sofa versus a racing bucket seat in comparative/feeling terms.

It'll be quicker but only on motorway/longer journeys. On lots of short journeys you'll knackered the DPF, especially on the 3.0 litre.

Man of Honour
This is a very old, dated car. It was good when it came out - but this was 14 years ago as a rival to the 2003-2010 5 Series. We are on our 3rd 5 Series generation since then.

I cannot think of a reason to buy one of these for this sort of money. It is simply not as good as the equivalent Mercedes or BMW model you'll quite easily get for this sort of money. A 2014 BMW 530d drives better, is better inside, has the same sort of power and performance and has a far more modern infotainment setup, it's just a better car. You'd need to really, really hate BMW and really really love Jaguar to buy this over one of those.

The XF is the sort of car you might buy for £6k - where its arguably better than the equivalent 5 Series in some ways.

Soldato
OP
It doesn't.

XF is a nice car. I enjoyed mine. Infotainment is decent but satnav is total garbage. There is no step up in terms of learning curve, this is just a big old barge compared to your nimble little go kart. It'll feel like a comfy sofa versus a racing bucket seat in comparative/feeling terms.

It'll be quicker but only on motorway/longer journeys. On lots of short journeys you'll knackered the DPF, especially on the 3.0 litre.

Yep I though that be the case, I will at some stage will want something else, If I went large and conformable would a XF still be a option ? around £15k, If I stayed on the smaller more nimble I guess stepping up to a Cupra would be good ?

Soldato
It's not what I'd pick, you really want the petrol I used to own the same car you have and my current i30N was probably comparable to the performance of the Jag. It's going to be worlds apart in terms of performance 0-60 but not round corners and actually driving it - but the fit and finish is likely to be a little worse in the Jag.

With only 24 months of experience, you need to understand the difference in power and how it handles but you only ever learn by jumping in. I've only been driving 4 years and play with 406bhp now, but similar to what @dLockers said, my current car weighs over 2t so it's a completely different dynamic to say my Abarth which was a lot more bhp per tonne than the Leon.

Yep I though that be the case, I will at some stage will want something else, If I went large and conformable would a XF still be a option ? around £15k, If I stayed on the smaller more nimble I guess stepping up to a Cupra would be good ?

The Cupra is a completely different car to the Jag, what do you actually want? Is it just wanting a change?

Soldato
OP
This is a very old, dated car. It was good when it came out - but this was 14 years ago as a rival to the 2003-2010 5 Series. We are on our 3rd 5 Series generation since then.

I cannot think of a reason to buy one of these for this sort of money. It is simply not as good as the equivalent Mercedes or BMW model you'll quite easily get for this sort of money. A 2014 BMW 530d drives better, is better inside, has the same sort of power and performance and has a far more modern infotainment setup, it's just a better car. You'd need to really, really hate BMW and really really love Jaguar to buy this over one of those.

The XF is the sort of car you might buy for £6k - where its arguably better than the equivalent 5 Series in some ways.

What if I didn't want BWM/Audli etc ?

Man of Honour
What if I didn't want BWM/Audli etc ?

I'd need to understand more about why you don't want one of these but would want the XF. The XF does nothing better unless you compare it with what was around when it came out (Which cost a lot less now). It's a generation behind a similarly aged 5 Series or A6.

Cars are often a matter of personal preference and I steer away now from categorically stating that car A is better than car B but I feel in this particular situation the differences are so stark it almost stops being subjective. The X250 Jaguar XF was a good car in 2007, compared to other 2007 cars. As soon as it's rivals at the time were replaced (5 Series 2010 onwards, A6 2011 onwards and E Class 2009 onwards) it was left behind in the dust.

Frankly I am surprised that 7 year old XF's cost £14k. I'd have thought they were significantly cheaper now. Perhaps they are - if you can find them at under £10k the conversation changes a bit as you won't get a decent F10 5 Series or C7 A6 for that.

Soldato
OP
With only 24 months of experience, you need to understand the difference in power and how it handles but you only ever learn by jumping in. I've only been driving 4 years and play with 406bhp now, but similar to what @dLockers said, my current car weighs over 2t so it's a completely different dynamic to say my Abarth which was a lot more bhp per tonne than the Leon.

Kinda why I was thinking of doing something like a track day etc to get some exps with something more powerful

The Cupra is a completely different car to the Jag, what do you actually want? Is it just wanting a change?

I bit of a change/something to strive towards, also just thinking ahead to the 2030 new ICE ban, so at some point something with more oopf/v6/v8 is going to get pricey. And would like to experienced a more performance focused ICE car before they become unattainable to simple man like myself.

Soldato
Kinda why I was thinking of doing something like a track day etc to get some exps with something more powerful

I bit of a change/something to strive towards, also just thinking ahead to the 2030 new ICE ban, so at some point something with more oopf/v6/v8 is going to get pricey. And would like to experienced a more performance focused ICE car before they become unattainable to simple man like myself.
I don't venture in here too often so I'll probably be told I'm wrong. But yes a track day lets you push a car to its limits, but it doesn't teach you how they handle in the wet on twisty roads with uneven road surfaces. Driving on a public road is completely different.

Get yourself a Type R or something, you don't want a Diesel Barge, you want something fun. Or a Megane, they're good value for money.

Soldato
OP
I'd need to understand more about why you don't want one of these but would want the XF. The XF does nothing better unless you compare it with what was around when it came out (Which cost a lot less now). It's a generation behind a similarly aged 5 Series or A6.

Might seems awful but well back when we where pre covid I was kind of bored of seeing peeps roll in with 5's and A6's at work and though if i ever upgraded I would like to try and be a little different

its all a pipe dream atm anyways

Soldato
OP
I don't venture in here too often so I'll probably be told I'm wrong. But yes a track day lets you push a car to its limits, but it doesn't teach you how they handle in the wet on twisty roads with uneven road surfaces. Driving on a public road is completely different.

True but I not sure of better/safer way of getting that kinda of driving experience without buying such a car and trying to fling it around.

Soldato
Might seems awful but well back when we where pre covid I was kind of bored of seeing peeps roll in with 5's and A6's at work and though if i ever upgraded I would like to try and be a little different

its all a pipe dream atm anyways
When it comes to cars, things are often popular for a reason - in this case its not because a 5 series or A6 was cheap as chips, it's because they're good cars and you'd need to really dislike them to specifically avoid them and choose something worse for the same money.

Man of Honour

I suppose one way to be different is to buy the worst car in its class :D

You could be even more unique and buy a Renault Modus - bet nobody rolls in with one of those.

Soldato
The Jag isn't a bad car and it looks a lot nicer than the 5 series of similar vintage. I really enjoyed mine. I just hit an Uber with it and needed shot of it :D

I think I only paid £30k brand new for my XF black 2.2, so 15k for one of this vintage (the facelift ones are big improvement) seems high.

There won't be a learning curve, you are being careful but overly cautious. It is a luxo barg, quick in a straight line, too big to do too many twisties in, and basically designed to be boring.

Man of Honour
I dispute that the next model was a big improvement too, actually. In many respects it is worse - to be fair to the XF when it originally came out in 2007 it was a very good car compared to its competition, the E60 5 Series and the W211 E Class. It was more modern, had a nicer interior than both, is well built and had a decent enough engine range. There was a time - 2007-2008 - where it was arguably top of the class.

By contrast the all new model, released in 2016, was out of date before it even came out. I put 3000 miles on one 4 years ago and it was probably one of the most disappointing cars I've ever driven. Cheap plastic interior, horribly disjointed interface and a navigation system running the exact same application I had on a Chinese satnav unit in my 2001 5 Series 5 years previously. Just rubbish, the whole thing (Except the engine, which for a 2 litre diesel was smooth, refined and incredibly fuel efficient). They've improved it since and I gather its much better these days, but even so...

Back
Top Bottom