Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
I'm not sure how easy it is to self diagnose your strike pattern.

On the flat, I 'feel' like I probably heel strike more than I should, but if I look at the tread wear on my shoes after several hundred miles, it's mainly at the ball of my foot, with not much wear at the heel.

When running uphill, I am very much on my toes, to the extent my heel doesn't usually contact the ground at all.
For sure. Like I said a few days ago; you shouldn't really change your footstrike unless it's causing you problems. Heel striking may be what your biomechanics dictate is best for you and changing that could cause injury.

Soldato
What brand are you used to running in? I might be able to suggest something similar from them if you don't want to risk going over to Nike.

I've been trying out various trainers trying to find one which suits me best. It's tricky as once you buy them you're kinda stuck for 300ish miles! My recent history (Thank you Runners Need order history)

Adidas Ultraboost ST 16 - Can't really remember these
Skechers Go Run - Really disliked these. Seems to cause no-end of issues
Brooks Ghost 12 - These were "ok", but didn't seem to last very long
Brooks Glycerin 17 - Found these really heavy
On CloudFlyer - Have these as my holiday trainers. I like them, but i tend to run on a lot of bridleways/light trails and they pick up stones in the tread causing a squeaking noise which is annoying)
Asics GT2000 - Used these in the runup to my marathon. Really liked them and they seemed to last well
Asics Gel Nimbus 22 - A bit indifferent in these
Hoka Clifton 4 - Liked the feel of these, but found them too narrow. I also liked my Hoka trail shoes but again found them quite narrow.
Saucony Triumph 18 - Felt a lot of heel slippage and returned them. Shame as wanted to like them.
New Balance 1080 V10 - Really liked these, they were really light and seemed to increase my speed, only issue is they only lasted around 200 miles before i felt the support go (i'm ~95-100kg so fairly heavy)
Mizuno Wave Inspire - Current Trainers - Felt ok at first, but i seem to have picked up loads of niggles recently. Could be nothing to do with the trainers but it does feel like it's coincided with them. Only done ~150miles but want to change to rule them out.

My favourites were probably the New Balance

As mentioned, haven't tried Nike yet so unsure how i'd be. I would add i'm limited to Runners Need due to discounts i can get (50% off).

My shortlist is

Nike Pegasus 37 - Never tried Nike but they seem like they'd fit my highly cushioned preference and seem to last a long time.
Adidas Ultraboost 20 - The Ultraboost i had were the stability model and also a long time ago when i was starting out. Would be interested to try them again now i have a better idea what i'm after
Hoka Clifton 7 Wide - Should address the narrow issues i found on the previous model and should offer the most cushioning.
New Balance 1080 V11 - As above, probably my favourite shoe and just accept they don't last long.

The benefit i've found is that, getting the 50% off means a £130 shoe only costs me £65. With finding they don't last me too long, the uppers/soles always look decent still and so i've had success selling the worn trainers on ebay and getting ~£30 as they're generally still the new/current model so i don't tend to lose too much when changing.

EDIT - Found this photo from the last pair i sold of the soles. Suggests my form is decent, with most wear on the forefoot more than the heel (Accept they look barely worn)

63dLE1y.png

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the detailed post! The main issues I think you might have with the Nike's are that they tend to have quite a narrow fit. Nike flyknit models are a bit better as the upper stretches more but the upper on the pegasus 37 is quite tight. Mine did seem to ease up but only after about 200km which is quite the bedding in period! Potentially, the React Infinity Run Flyknit 2 might be better suited to you. Worth considering I think.

The Clifton 7 wide might be a good option but Hoka's have not tended to be that durable for me. The upper split on a pair of mine just before 800km. That may not be an issue for you as it would seem the cushioning is the weakest point for you as a heavier runner.

I've not tried adidas running shoes but they have a reputation for being a bit heavy, they should be durable though.

I'd would like to recommend the Asics Novablast, as they have a similar ride to the New Balance 1080s that you enjoyed, but they are super soft so not sure how durable they would be for you.

I would say:

Fun choice = Asics Novablast
Sensible Choice = Hoka Clifton 7 Wide
Try something new= Nike React Infinity Run Flyknit 2

Hope that helps :)

Soldato
Oooh hadn't seen those Asics. They do look like they'd be a good choice for me. I'll give them a go as i know i generally have a decent fit with Asics, then will give the Hokas a go next time.

The Nikes are only available in midget sizes sadly.

Just need to get back out again now. Strava popped up the other day saying i'd just hit 100 mins for the year. I was probably around double that this time last year :(

Associate
I'd would like to recommend the Asics Novablast, as they have a similar ride to the New Balance 1080s that you enjoyed, but they are super soft so not sure how durable they would be for you.

Good to hear, I have a pair of the Novablast on their way from Asics. It's painful getting shoes direct from the manufacturers now since Brexit. Had to wait over 3 weeks for a pair of Saucony that turned out to be no good. Asics say it can be 10-15 working days as well :(

Soldato
I'd noticed prices go up too

I've run for years now in Saucony Guides still support/structured but a bit toned down and a much lower heel compared to most which makes me much less of a heel striker

Just back from third run of week (6x600m efforts today) did my longer run on Tuesday up to 6 miles for the longer effort this week

Trying to up the weekly miles without my body saying no

A recovery run tomorrow or Sunday then restart on Monday :)

Soldato
Got my size 10 Reebok Energy 3 today. Much better fit than the 9.5. About a centimetre of toe space at the front. My feet don't feel compressed and can breathe. So I'll return the 9.5.

I guess it's personal choice, some would prefer the more snug fit of the 9.5. My cheap size 10 runners are a more snug fit than the Reebox 10, somewhere between the 9.5 and 10.

Soldato
Still planning on my 28 mile run tomorrow. Aiming for the canal so it’s nice and flat, am expecting to walk a lot as it’s been ages since I’ve done anything over 15 miles.

Weather forecast is basically constant heavy rain all day long..... lovely.

That's good going - I was never a long distance runner I did a 20 race once and I had back ache and other issues for weeks after not again I said lol

Partly as people kept asking me at club when I was doing a marathon so thought I'd try and work towards but the 20 miler put me off - stuck to park runs and club efforts sessions after that

Soldato
I’m not a huge fan unless it’s a good route. I was due to do a few 45ish mile auktras over the last few months with decent routes up and over moors but they got cancelled.

I did say after my marathon I wouldn’t do anything long distance again as it bored me, but I think that’s just due to the roads and it being repetitive, especially since I’m slow and it takes over 4 hours to complete. On nice trails it’s a different beast altogether.

Soldato
Well that could’ve been more enjoyable.

Not sure about the rest of you but my watch gives me a “baseline” reading around 10 minutes in which is based on HR and speed I think. Today it said -6 which is about as low as I’ve seen it so that didn’t bode well.

I’ve also not done over 8 miles for around 5 weeks and the last time I did over 20 was mid December. As such this was a struggle, not helped by choosing trail shoes when a lot of the canal towpath ended up being paved. This caused my Plantar Fasciitis to be pretty damn painful from around mile 15 onwards.

I also struggled quite a lot from mile 12 onwards and ended up walking/jogging the return section. With a fair few miles just walking at a brisk 4mph pace.

All in all though I’m glad I got it done. It also makes it my longest ever run. Just a shame about my body struggling more than I’d have liked and the pace being pretty slow accordingly.

Also Strava can **** off as it has recalculated to 27.99 miles!

Soldato
Super chuffed today, managed a 5k PB of 17:28.

I've not been doing much speed work over the winter, but I guess it goes to show that the frequent volume steady runs are paying dividends.

Not quite sure I've got a sub 17 in me. Taking another 10s/mile off that takes me close to my 1 mile PB itself!

Soldato
Super chuffed today, managed a 5k PB of 17:28.

That's rapid. Something like 17km/h - don't think I've ever been able to sustain that sort of pace for more than a km or two.

Given you've said you've not done much pace work recently, what's your weekly volume been?

Well done, that's a massively impressive effort!

Soldato
That's rapid. Something like 17km/h - don't think I've ever been able to sustain that sort of pace for more than a km or two.

Given you've said you've not done much pace work recently, what's your weekly volume been?

Well done, that's a massively impressive effort!

Thanks! Probably about 60-120 miles a month on average. Wanted to get that up a bit more but I cycle to work most days, and after riding in this weather I don't have the motivation to go back outside ;)

That'll go up when the weather improves hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom