Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Soldato
I have the Echo Gen 3 as stereo pair and it sounds pretty good to me. I'm not an audiophile though, so no doubt it's a shocker to proper ears.

No, the BBC decided to prevent access (from the UK only mind) to all of their stations through TuneIN, which worked fine with Echo stereo pairing. As above; BBC Sounds skill does not support the Echo stereo pair feature. What a crock eh. The reason claimed is under the guise of wanting to better understand listening numbers through streaming which was unavailable from TuneIn

Bit of a kicker that anyone outside of the UK can continue to access BBC stations through TuneIn!
Hmm... Fell foul to a similar limitation when trying to move to Spotify instead of Amazon Music. You can't stream to Spotify music to multiple Echo devices at once (ie: all playing their own steams)... So the only option is Amazon Music :(

Soldato
Hmm... Fell foul to a similar limitation when trying to move to Spotify instead of Amazon Music. You can't stream to Spotify music to multiple Echo devices at once (ie: all playing their own steams)... So the only option is Amazon Music :(
Typical nonsense from these guys eh. Supposedly Amazon, Apple and google are agreeing to a smart speaker standard which will allow their service to be accessible between providers. Believe that when I see it!

Doesn't help me with blimmin BBC though. I may just stop paying the license fee out of spite!

*pram*

Soldato
That's a Spotify limitation, they are only licensed to serve one stream at a time. Even if you're listening on your phone and start a stream on your PC the stream on the phone will stop, it's nothing Amazon/Alexa related.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/Playback-on-multiple-devices-at-the-same-time/td-p/196158

Soldato
I've been trying to work out voice recognition recently, but it seems to be totally pointless. Alexa can recognise who is talking but she still won't access skills from my account unless I switch to it first. I would have thought that this was the sort of thing voice recognition was meant to solve but obviously not.

Soldato
Anyone else lost their ability to play Prime Video films/episode at a single command? eg: "Alexa, play The Grand Tour"? I get, "I couldn't find any enabled video skills...", across all my units...

This started happening a few days or a week or so ago?

I've reported this to Amazon support.

Soldato
I've noticed a few voice commands seem to be failing in the last week or so. For example, playing TalkSport radio has worked flawlessly since the start. Now however, they always try to play TalkSport 2. It fails with both me and the missus saying it.

Soldato
I've noticed a few voice commands seem to be failing in the last week or so. For example, playing TalkSport radio has worked flawlessly since the start. Now however, they always try to play TalkSport 2. It fails with both me and the missus saying it.
Is your Echo device language set to UK English not US? Play talksport works for me (I listen to it loads along with talkradio).

Soldato

I've found her less and less reliable of late. She used to be able to hear whatever I said wherever I was. Now I have to shout a little bit more and I get more confusion from her than I used to.

Soldato
I bought a couple of amazon show 8s at Christmas and think the video call feature is crap. The quality is abysmal, and both houses are on good fibre broadband.

Facebook portal really puts it to shame.

Soldato
My biggest issue with Prime Video through the Echos is relative volume disparity. Alexa's voice is typically far louder than Prime Video audio... There needs to be a way to adjust Prime Video's volume relative to the standard volume level. eg: -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 ,+3

I'd probably set mine Prime Video relative volume to +2.

Soldato
Why on earth don't Amazon have their premium Echo speaker combined with a lamp (like Sonos do)? All the benefits of their top sound solution, disguised as a lamp, which obviously would be voice controlled too! I'd buy one immediately if they did :)

ps: Just offer it in 2-3 colour variations...

Soldato
Soldato
I only found this out last week when I bought a couple of echos. Luckily Argos took them back.
Google minis and youtube premium it is then.
I use Amazon Music Unlimited which is another choice. Works out really cheap if you get a family membership for £14.99 a month or £149 for the year then split it. You can have 6 Amazon accounts on the plan and use multiple devices on each of them.

Back
Top Bottom