What retro things have you done today?

Associate
Wasted so much time on this machine.
Got XP installed. Messed around too much with drivers.. Sometimes Audigy2 loads with windows and works other times its not detected at all... Sometimes the mouse doesnt work at all.. Now the performance in NFSU2 is not noticeably better than my P3/GF3ti machine.. That was the one game I was hankering to play.

What's the spec's dude? I was looking through my parts today and this appear from under the bed! https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-8I925XE-G-rev-10#ov. It has a Pentium 4 660 in it currently.

I'm tempted to put it together and whacking Win98 on it! I'm sure I have a Gainward 6800 Ultra PCI-E knocking about somewhere!

Soldato
What's the spec's dude? I was looking through my parts today and this appear from under the bed! https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-8I925XE-G-rev-10#ov. It has a Pentium 4 660 in it currently.

I'm tempted to put it together and whacking Win98 on it! I'm sure I have a Gainward 6800 Ultra PCI-E knocking about somewhere!
its athlon xp 1600+ and an ms-6511 motherboard which is actually an oem part and not really great.
768mb ram and a 9600pro.

Definitely going to go the 775 route now. Just need to wait for some ebay bargains :)
There is a good bundle on MM atm but the motherboard is intel and just a bit plain... This is going in a case with a window!

Caporegime
Definitely going to go the 775 route now. Just need to wait for some ebay bargains :)
There is a good bundle on MM atm but the motherboard is intel and just a bit plain... This is going in a case with a window!
You are welcome to this Asus P5B-VM mATX board I have here. It’s not the most interesting, but you can have it for free if you want it.

Soldato
You are welcome to this Asus P5B-VM mATX board I have here. It’s not the most interesting, but you can have it for free if you want it.
Cheers mate just had a look at it has IDE + sata + floppy so that would be great! Do you need me to resend my address?

I have something I could send you in return that might be repairable for someone with your skills...

Soldato
@LewisRaz Do you need the DDR2 as well?
ive found 2x512mb of it in my parts box :)

going to go with a c2d e6550 (less than £2!)
audigy 2
8600/8800 depending on what auctions pop up cheap. Any ATI equivelents to look for? ~2007 build era
60gb ssd
xp sp3

going to be overkill for any games I throw at it!

Is your address still the same btw for the unsolicited return package?

Last edited:
Caporegime

audigy 2
8600/8800 depending on what auctions pop up cheap. Any ATI equivelents to look for? ~2007 build era
60gb ssd
xp sp3

I've got the board boxed (there's a P4 in it just to ensure the socket pins don't get ruined) and ready to go out today.

And yep my address is the same also.

Associate
Had a Asus Geforce 4 Ti4400 arrive today. £8.98. Was shoved in a thin jiffy bag with no Anti-Static Bag. Cooler was hanging off and the Bracket had bent. Straightened the bracket and replaced the plastic fixing pins for the cooler and happy to say it works fine. Ran through a couple of rounds of 3DMark 2000. Will give it a proper clean and a re-paste later.

Associate
Had a Asus Geforce 4 Ti4400 arrive today. £8.98. Was shoved in a thin jiffy bag with no Anti-Static Bag. Cooler was hanging off and the Bracket had bent. Straightened the bracket and replaced the plastic fixing pins for the cooler and happy to say it works fine. Ran through a couple of rounds of 3DMark 2000. Will give it a proper clean and a re-paste later.
That's niche. What did you get it for? If you don't mind my inquisitiveness.

Soldato
Took delivery of a GRS Flight Yoke (Star Wars yoke) today to replace the stock yoke in my Arcade1up Star Wars cab.

It's solid metal apart from the handles and is incredibly heavy. Should be more hard wearing and accurate than the stock yoke.

It's got Arcade1UP, USB and original Arcade connections so it's really flexible. I'll just be using it in my Star Wars cab but some people have used it to play games like Sega Star Wars Trilogy, Paperboy, Road Blasters, Star Wars battlepod and even Star Wars Squadrons.

Soldato

audigy 2
60gb ssd
xp sp3

Some one on the MM has or had a 8600GTS for sale for £15 I think. Also don't rule out the 9500 which I think is a slightly faster 8600GTS. Or the 9600GSO for a mildly interesting alternative!

Associate
Took delivery of a GRS Flight Yoke (Star Wars yoke) today to replace the stock yoke in my Arcade1up Star Wars cab.

It's solid metal apart from the handles and is incredibly heavy. Should be more hard wearing and accurate than the stock yoke.

It's got Arcade1UP, USB and original Arcade connections so it's really flexible. I'll just be using it in my Star Wars cab but some people have used it to play games like Sega Star Wars Trilogy, Paperboy, Road Blasters, Star Wars battlepod and even Star Wars Squadrons.
wow, that's a really cool thing to own.

Soldato
wow, that's a really cool thing to own.

Given the shortage of HOTAS controllers for PC it's possibly easier to get hold of than a regular joystick! (Though it does have fewer buttons).

If I ever sell the Star Wars cab I'll be keeping the yoke (and putting the original back in) as it makes a great PC control for emulation and flight sims.

Associate
Not quite Retro but pretty cool non the less, I've finally finished my MT-32 Pi Midi Hat, this allows me to connect my PC through the Gameport on my AWE64 to the Pi which then emulates the MT-32 and passes it back through to the AWE64 through the Line-In.

2Ce4x49.jpg

The project is pretty cool and seems to work well, once you get the right components ordered :rolleyes:. The Hat I built is based on clumsy-midi's design and worked out to be just under £50inc delivery. If you were building more the cost should come down.

Chris

Soldato
Some one on the MM has or had a 8600GTS for sale for £15 I think. Also don't rule out the 9500 which I think is a slightly faster 8600GTS. Or the 9600GSO for a mildly interesting alternative!

Thanks for the heads up. Still undecided on gpus. I have an old 5450 that will do for now but will be on the lookout for something more fun!

I've got the board boxed (there's a P4 in it just to ensure the socket pins don't get ruined) and ready to go out today.

And yep my address is the same also.
cheers mate!

Back
Top Bottom