Wait for 30x GPU Laptops?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
It seems the Lenovo 5/Pro also comes with a HDMI 2.1 port, which all of the laptops so far this new gen don't seem to have. That would be great being able to hook one up to my TV and have VRR available.

Soldato
The specs of the 3080 laptop are closest to a desktop 3070, but ideally you really want one around the 150W mark.
Anything less than this is essentially a Max Q variant by another name.

Nvidia and partners have made this needlessly complicated...again :(

At the moment the confirmed 150W+ models are:

Schenker XMG Neo 15/17 (150W - 135+15W boost)
ASUS ROG XG Mobile (the addon eGPU for the Flow) (150W)
MSI G*76 models. (155W - 150W + 5W boost)

I expect based on prior history, when HP Omen gets out the door with 3*** series, the Omen 17 will also be the full fat 150W model, as will the high end Alienwares.

Last edited:
Associate
The specs of the 3080 laptop are closest to a desktop 3070, but ideally you really want one around the 150W mark.
Anything less than this is essentially a Max Q variant by another name.

Nvidia and partners have made this needlessly complicated...again :(

At the moment the confirmed 150W+ models are:

Schenker XMG Neo 15/17 (150W+15W boost)
ASUS ROG XG Mobile (the addon eGPU for the Flow) (150W + 0W Boost)
MSI G*76 models. (155W + 5W Boost)

I expect based on prior history, when HP Omen gets out the door with 3*** series, the Omen 17 will also be the full fat 150W model, as will the high end Alienwares.

OK Thanks, so I should avoid that then.

But on the 3070 the 130w is the better of the 3070s?

Very complex, wish they just called them say

3080 for the top one
then 3080s for the 'slim' one or something

Soldato
Oh yes, don't get me started, this has been a minefield since Nvidia started this whole shenanigans with different power ratings, max p, max q etc etc.

But yes ~130W is the best 3070, 3080s should go up to 150W+. If you consider the fact the core on the 3080 is larger (approx 6000 vs 5000 shaders); it should come as no surprise it needs more juice to feed it appropriately. This is why in some cases 3080 machines are being beaten by 3070 machines, because the 3070 is being allowed more juice!

Hate it, if I'm paying big money for a high end graphics card, I want to know I'm getting that card, and not a neutered version of it, ESPECIALLY in a larger, chunkier gaming chassis! I've had 2 HP Omen 17s now simply because they always go Max P and value wise they tend to be very good compared to the other UK offerings.
I can forgive manufacturers for putting MaxQ in thinner 15" and under; but it has NO place in £1500+ 15/17" that have obviously been designed to be thicker and better cooled, no place at all.

For what it's worth, the 3070 at 130W seems to be slightly faster than the old 150W 2080/2080 Super, so at least we are getting an upgrade this time, unlike the 2080 Super refresh (albeit the 2060/2070S laptops were usually better); given the 3070 at 130W is where it is, the 3080 at 150W+ should be a decent improvement, but exactly how much I can't say until they land properly. I'd GUESS around 20-40% which is nothing to sniff at in a laptop; albeit disappointing compared to desktops.
Not necessarily surprising, given how power hungry Ampere is though; RDNA and its better efficiency at lower clocks would seem to have a good chance here if AMD managed to get something half decent and large enough into laptops.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh yes, don't get me started, this has been a minefield since Nvidia started this whole shenanigans with different power ratings, max p, max q etc etc.

But yes ~130W is the best 3070, 3080s should go up to 150W+. If you consider the fact the core on the 3080 is larger (approx 6000 vs 5000 shaders); it should come as no surprise it needs more juice to feed it appropriately. This is why in some cases 3080 machines are being beaten by 3070 machines, because the 3070 is being allowed more juice!

Hate it, if I'm paying big money for a high end graphics card, I want to know I'm getting that card, and not a neutered version of it, ESPECIALLY in a larger, chunkier gaming chassis! I've had 2 HP Omen 17s now simply because they always go Max P and value wise they tend to be very good compared to the other UK offerings.
I can forgive manufacturers for putting MaxQ in thinner 15" and under; but it has NO place in £1500+ 15/17" that have obviously been designed to be thicker and better cooled, no place at all.

For what it's worth, the 3070 at 130W seems to be slightly faster than the old 150W 2080/2080 Super, so at least we are getting an upgrade this time, unlike the 2080 Super refresh (albeit the 2060/2070S laptops were usually better); given the 3070 at 130W is where it is, the 3080 at 150W+ should be a decent improvement, but exactly how much I can't say until they land properly. I'd GUESS around 20-40% which is nothing to sniff at in a laptop; albeit disappointing compared to desktops.
Not necessarily surprising, given how power hungry Ampere is though; RDNA and its better efficiency at lower clocks would seem to have a good chance here if AMD managed to get something half decent and large enough into laptops.

Thanks for the honest appraisal, gives me more confidence to know which one to go for. I was looking at the 1999 ASUS on here that has a 3080 in it, but see its a 130W so am now wary.

Hopefully the Omens come out soon enough then, i wonder if they will go with AMD or Intel?

Soldato
Yeah the problem with the lower wattage 3080s is due to the increased shader count, they require more power to hit the same clock speeds.
Some games prefer higher clocks, other games prefer more shader horsepower, but you can instantly see how a 3070 and 3080 at the same power limits may not be a clean sweep to the 3080, and this is what is happening and why 3070s are sometimes winning vs 3080s, even if the 3080 MAY be slightly better binned silicon; simply put its a bigger chip and needs fed as such. A 3080 with appropriate power and equivalent or higher clock speed will of course win.

Says it all when some 3080s quote the maximum boost in the 1700-1800MHz range, whilst some quote 1250MHz approx. Even if the 1800MHz is optimistic, that is a rather MASSIVE difference in clock speeds; when they are meant to be the same graphics card, but essentially there is a good chance the latter is around 2/3 of the performance. This entire thing is a bit of a joke, and Nvidia are making it worse. It was bad enough with Max Q and Max P, with both having a few variants. Now its complete free for all and hope you can find the boost/power info out!

And that's of course ignoring the fact the 3080 is basically a desktop 3070, unlike the mobile 2080 which at least had roughly the same shaders as the desktop (~3000); but at 150W runs more like a 2070 Super due to the power limits.

Essentially Ampere is really too power hungry to be fully let loose in laptops; given how power efficient RDNA2 is at slightly lower clock speeds, AMD have a good window here to sneak out a really competitive or even performance leading mobile part simply by ensuring the silicon still clocks high but in more efficient clock to power ranges; but am guessing they simply cannot produce enough GPU dies right now to do so, given the demand they are facing for CPUs, GPUs AND console SOCs for both MS and Sony.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the honest appraisal, gives me more confidence to know which one to go for. I was looking at the 1999 ASUS on here that has a 3080 in it, but see its a 130W so am now wary.

Hopefully the Omens come out soon enough then, i wonder if they will go with AMD or Intel?

People have successfully flashed that Asus 3080 with the msi 150w bios though!

Associate
OK so im one of those who cant wait for things....so assuming there is stock here or somewhere, ill be ordering this tomorrow

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...z-ryzen-r7-5800h-gaming-laptop-lt-2dg-as.html

Now can anyone allay my fears, as they are possibly irrational due to my lack of knowledge:

1 - The 3080 is the 130W, which has been explained above. But im hoping its still a good card.
2 - The screen is 1080, ill only be laptop gaming, no external screen...im assuming any game at that resolution should be easy to run on top settings, but do i miss out on all the new NVIDIA technology? Is it all designed for 4K?
3 - The 16GB DDR4 is in 1 slot. I may be wrong but isnt that bad thing? How much performance drop will it cause me (if any) - but im assuming i can double that up myself? If so, is Laptop RAM specific ie ASUS branded or something?
4 - Id need a 2nd HDD ideally, would plugging another in cause my main drive problems like making the SSD slower because there are 2 now connected?
5 - CPU Temps, should I be worried by ASUS videos that show this CPU hitting like 95+ consistently in games?

Sorry for peppering the forums, I just want to commit to the right thing. Id have had that Rog Strix 15 for 1700 but its no where to be found now... so this is in my sights now :)

Soldato
OK so im one of those who cant wait for things....so assuming there is stock here or somewhere, ill be ordering this tomorrow

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...z-ryzen-r7-5800h-gaming-laptop-lt-2dg-as.html

Now can anyone allay my fears, as they are possibly irrational due to my lack of knowledge:

1 - The 3080 is the 130W, which has been explained above. But im hoping its still a good card.
2 - The screen is 1080, ill only be laptop gaming, no external screen...im assuming any game at that resolution should be easy to run on top settings, but do i miss out on all the new NVIDIA technology? Is it all designed for 4K?
3 - The 16GB DDR4 is in 1 slot. I may be wrong but isnt that bad thing? How much performance drop will it cause me (if any) - but im assuming i can double that up myself? If so, is Laptop RAM specific ie ASUS branded or something?
4 - Id need a 2nd HDD ideally, would plugging another in cause my main drive problems like making the SSD slower because there are 2 now connected?
5 - CPU Temps, should I be worried by ASUS videos that show this CPU hitting like 95+ consistently in games?

Sorry for peppering the forums, I just want to commit to the right thing. Id have had that Rog Strix 15 for 1700 but its no where to be found now... so this is in my sights now :)

Ive placed an order for the 3070 model with the QHD display. From what I have seen on YouTube the QHD model is the better option as most games at 1080P will be CPU bottlenecked before they are GPU bottlenecked so at 1080P you will be leaving GPU performance on the table. - and this is with a 3070. I’d only go for the 3080 with 1080P display if you plan on using an external display.
also, because this machine uses Optimus, not a MUX switch, the dGPU goes via the iGPU so will see fewer frames in esports games, so you may struggle to get 300fps which means you’re also not fully utilising that display. The QHD display is 165hz which is more realistic, even with Optimus on a 3070.

I would have gone for the 3080 QHD but that model is £800 more expensive and from what I’ve seen online the performance is around 10% which isn’t worth a 42% price increase to me. I will save the money and upgrade in 2 years for more noticeable gains.

Are you sure the ram is single channel? I’d be surprised if it was.

Last edited:
Associate
Ive placed an order for the 3070 model with the QHD display. From what I have seen on YouTube the QHD model is the better option as most games at 1080P will be CPU bottlenecked before they are GPU bottlenecked so at 1080P you will be leaving GPU performance on the table. - and this is with a 3070. I’d only go for the 3080 with 1080P display if you plan on using an external display.
also, because this machine uses Optimus, not a MUX switch, the dGPU goes via the iGPU so will see fewer frames in esports games, so you may struggle to get 300fps which means you’re also not fully utilising that display. The QHD display is 165hz which is more realistic, even with Optimus on a 3070.

I would have gone for the 3080 QHD but that model is £800 more expensive and from what I’ve seen online the performance is around 10% which isn’t worth a 42% price increase to me. I will save the money and upgrade in 2 years for more noticeable gains.

OCUK state on their page its one stick, maybe im reading that wrong? I thought it had to be 2 sticks of 8gb?

Associate

Yeah i think im thinking too much and rushing into getting something just because its all shiny. Thanks for the tips.

Associate
The Asus Strix Scar (QHD / 3070) pre-order that was due tomorrow has been push back until the 2nd of March by the etailer. Hope it isn't the first of many delays :(

Soldato
The Asus Strix Scar (QHD / 3070) pre-order that was due tomorrow has been push back until the 2nd of March by the etailer. Hope it isn't the first of many delays :(

Really?? Is this with OcUK?

This is already over due as it was due in last Monday.

Last edited:
Soldato
No another etailer (G533QR-HQ005T), i did noticed Asus direct are now saying 21/3

Ok, you had me worried that OcUK stock was delayed. :eek:

I believe OcUKs batch of these are due tomorrow, provided they aren’t delayed, so might be worth placing a pre-order as they tend to sell out on the day they come in. Either that or keep an eye on the OcUK website.

Associate
Ok, you had me worried that OcUK stock was delayed. :eek:

I believe OcUKs batch of these are due tomorrow, provided they aren’t delayed, so might be worth placing a pre-order as they tend to sell out on the day they come in. Either that or keep an eye on the OcUK website.
The other site also had them listed as due tomorrow but got an email to say there was going to be a delay with the pre-order.

How much?
£1899.97

Back
Top Bottom