Coca Cola : "Be less white"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
You don't like actual data do you?
I love data, earn a substantial living from it. What I don't tend to agree with is people missing the point regardless of how tactless it is put forward, and then using it as an opportunity to prove they are more oppressed than those who are the genuine victims.

You're from Hampshire, I get it, it must be hard to imagine an integrated society where systematic oppression has balanced out and now you feel under threat. But standing on the side lines shouting "what about the poor white boys" doesn't help the world progress.

Soldato
I see, you just prefer to ignore them and say things like 'be less white'. Loving that world progression.
I never said that at all.

If disenfranchised poor white boys is your thing, go and make a thread about it. The very fact that it has only became an issue because someone has 'called your privilege' means you are the very person this poor attempt by Coca Cola to educate is required.

White fragility is so embarrassing to observe.

Soldato
I never said that at all.

If disenfranchised poor white boys is your thing, go and make a thread about it. The very fact that it has only became an issue because someone has 'called your privilege' means you are the very person this poor attempt by Coca Cola to educate is required.

Oh my. Those poor white boys must be loving their privilege. It has made them so successful...

The aim here doesn't seem to be equality.

Man of Honour
On the one side we have people arguing for genuine equality of opportunity. They want colour taken out of the equation. They want colour to never be a factor in decisions. Let the best person achieve the rewards of their hard work.

On the other side we have people who want equality of outcome by focussing on someone's colour to correct a previous imbalance. They want to discriminate in favour of one racial group at the detriment of another to achieve their goal. Those people I consider to be racists.

Racism:
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

Soldato
On the one side we have people arguing for genuine equality of opportunity. They want colour taken out of the equation. They want colour to never be a factor in decisions. Let the best person achieve the rewards of their hard work.

On the other side we have people who want equality of outcome by focussing on someone's colour to correct a previous imbalance. They want to discriminate in favour of one racial group at the detriment of another to achieve their goal. Those people I consider to be racists.

Racism:
Proclaiming you "see no colour" is not how you redress hundreds of years of celebrated oppression unfortunately.

Man of Honour
Proclaiming you "see no colour" is not how you redress hundreds of years of celebrated oppression unfortunately.
I believe you are fundamentally incorrect.

Discriminating against a racial group is not how you redress hundreds of years of previous racism. It will just cause more division. As per the definition above, that is being a racist.

Soldato
Reading through your posts in this thread, I think you might want to reassess that view.
Yeah to be fair maybe I should have taken this thread as a cue to proclaim how oppressed white people are. That is a much more balanced view of the topic at hand than trying to explore the underlying topic at hand :D

Neither is fighting racism with more racism which is what you are championing in here.
Literally my first post, the first post of the thread, I stated my opinion on the topic at hand.

I believe you are fundamentally incorrect.

Discriminating against a racial group is not how you redress hundreds of years of previous racism. It will just cause more division.
How have you been discriminated against exactly? I made my thoughts clear on the topic at hand in post #1. But again, the people they are describing when they say "white" people are exactly people like you, and the others in this thread, who use this as an opportunity to randomly dig up how oppressed white people are.

How could you possibly fix discrimination to racial groups if you only see it as discrimination when it has the word "white" in it?

Man of Honour
How have you been discriminated against exactly? I made my thoughts clear on the topic at hand in post #1. But again, the people they are describing when they say "white" people are exactly people like you, and the others in this thread, who use this as an opportunity to randomly dig up how oppressed white people are.
Is my definition of racism wrong then?

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

Soldato
Is my definition of racism wrong then?
It says in your own quoted definition that typically it is one that is a minority or marginalised. If you don't "see colour", you are ignoring a huge part of that persons heritage and context for being. "Black" and "white" are both used as sweeping generalisations which doesn't help either cause, but it isn't a reason to overlook the headline points being made.

Caporegime
It says in your own quoted definition that typically it is one that is a minority or marginalised. If you don't "see colour", you are ignoring a huge part of that persons heritage and context for being. "Black" and "white" are both used as sweeping generalisations which doesn't help either cause, but it isn't a reason to overlook the headline points being made.

Typically. Look up what it means.

Man of Honour
No it says "typically one that is a minority or marginalised". It does not say that it can only be for a minority or someone marginalised. It must therefore include all people.

So given that it does not exclude anyone and that the statement refers to all people then is my definition of racism correct or incorrect? Google indicates it is from the Oxford Dictionary by the way so it isn't just randomly made up by me.

Soldato
Typically. Look up what it means.
The thing is if you truly felt discriminated, this thread wouldn't be required as you'd be a whole lot more offended and presumably be taking a whole lot more affirmative action. The reason you don't feel discriminated is because you aren't marginalised and there really isn't a threat here at all.

Caporegime
The thing is if you truly felt discriminated, this thread wouldn't be required as you'd be a whole lot more offended and presumably be taking a whole lot more affirmative action. The reason you don't feel discriminated is because you aren't marginalised and there really isn't a threat here at all.

What, like burning down the places we live, smashing up businesses and people's private property? That kind of action?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom