Valheim

Associate
being utterly useless at this sort of thing, what's the tactic for surviving the dark forest? I'm getting the granny smashed out of me every time i set foot in there! The first boss was clearly just the tutorial level. You get 4 or 5 grey dwarves swarm you, shaman, skeletons, trolls. I'm getting battered. I did think to try and build a base in there but died 5 or 6 times just trying to put a spike wall up. So I've set up camp just on the edge now and basically gone back to basics, farming the meadows to try and max out my gear and have multiple versions of everything for when death occurs. I just cant seem to make any sort of footing within the forest. Love the game though :)

Pet Northerner
Don
being utterly useless at this sort of thing, what's the tactic for surviving the dark forest? I'm getting the granny smashed out of me every time i set foot in there! The first boss was clearly just the tutorial level. You get 4 or 5 grey dwarves swarm you, shaman, skeletons, trolls. I'm getting battered. I did think to try and build a base in there but died 5 or 6 times just trying to put a spike wall up. So I've set up camp just on the edge now and basically gone back to basics, farming the meadows to try and max out my gear and have multiple versions of everything for when death occurs. I just cant seem to make any sort of footing within the forest. Love the game though :)

Biggest tip for a newer player is eat multiple types of food - it'll increase your max health and stamina, which helps a LOT

Associate
Also make yourself a shield, block their 1st attack before you swing, if you have no or low stamina, bait their attack & backpedal, then move back in for a swing.

Man of Honour
Ooh..Vulkan support in todays patch, anyone tried it out yet?

EDIT : Just gave it a try using the Vulkan option, I gained between 10-15 fps :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hello Valheimers!
Todays patch has some major changes, the biggest change is the updated socket backend which should improve connection issues for a lot of players. Vulkan support as been enabled in Windows builds and can be enabled for now by adding "-force-vulkan" as a launch option in Steam properties for Valheim. This might fix some random crashes related to GPU drivers. World corruption caused by loging out and and the same time pressing ALT+F4 has been fixed. Some balancing fixes was made on bosses to make them more challenging ( u guys are killing them too fast ).

NOTE: Due to changes in character save data, once a character has been loaded & saved in this new version, they can no longer be loaded in an older version of valheim.

* Crafting item-dupe bug fix
* Harpooned player & ship bug fix
* Fixed player ragdoll
* Bonemass,Moder,Yagluth difficulty tweaks
* Moder music updated
* Tombstone bugfix (probably wont fix disappearing tombstones though)
* Fixed world corruption caused by pressing ALT+F4 while logging out.
* Deathsquitos have slightly longer audio range
* Tweaked audio on blast-furnace & spinning wheel
* Shared map position setting is saved per world
* Updated network stats (F2)
* Building destruction drop-fix
* Vulkan support in windows builds
* Network disconnection bugfix
* Updated socket-backend

Soldato
BTW whoever it was that brought this game to the forum, I want to shake you by the neck, 8hrs just shot by after I sat down to try the bloody game
Lol in the same boat, i have a nightly date with a friend now instead of spending time with the wife im spending time with a friend on Valheim about 4-5 hours a night easily. Literally have to tell each other... okay stop now i need to sleep...

Wifes not pleased :p but Valheim is life right now haha.

Soldato
Must have gotten lucky last night, we managed to find a Biome that was absolutely brimmed with Muddy piles and managed to mine around 100 iron ores between the 2 of us. The first biome however was small and only had a few muddy piles.

Soldato
I'm on a 1080 in 1440, got about an extra 10-15fps by activating Vulkan
Sound will give it a try tonight then. The game literally only uses 1 core while the rest sit around 15-20% load. GPU isn't much better either sitting around 50-60% utilisation.

Generally in open areas im sitting anywhere between 70-140fps but its dipped way down to 40fps where theres a lot of debris or structures about.

Soldato
Upgrade your armor, you need better protection and make sure you eat at least 3 different types of food to keep your stamina and health up. Taking out larger enemies like trolls, aim for the head for extra damage and use fire arrows although i do find a headshot with a flinthead is quite effective too.

If you find yourself being chased be a big group, walk in circles around a rock or tree and just lead them around it till your stamina builds up enough to do one haha.

Generally though once you get bronze armor and axes to level 2/3, the black forest is a walk in the park.

Soldato
£18 left in steam wallet, wonder if i should get this, better with friends ? or has anyone done it solo ?
Ideally with friends, its so much more immersive and you get a ton of laughs from it. I do solo as well when my mates not on, using the solo time to gather resources etc to take over to his server when he's on.

Back
Top Bottom