2011 Audi A3 E Sport TDCi any good?

Soldato
Someone's offered me an A3 with 128k miles, new turbo, cambelt, FSH for a decent price.

Are they any good?

Any issues to look out for apart from DPF or EGR? I don't know about either of these properly and would have to learn but any obvious things?

Cheers.

Soldato
What's a "decent price"? I personally wouldn't buy something of that age and mileage. If I knew for a fact it had been very well looked after, then that might have an influence, but I'd be thinking there are better ownership prospects out there.

Soldato
OP
£2100 and off a mate whose been looking out for a car for me if he gets one come in that's suitable. He's a brilliant mechanic on cars, trucks, recovery etc and I trust him if he says it's decent. Obviously I'm going to look at it and he reckons these engines are good for £250k if looked after and serviced.

He's been looking out for a car with cheap tax and decent economy with reasonable running costs that's reliable.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
TDCi are Ford diesels, so that can’t be right.

What engine is it? 1.6 with 105PS or a 2.0 with 140 or 170PS?

Don
What sort of journeys do you make? If it's mostly short journeys then a diesel isn't a good choice.

As above it will be a TDI, and fairly sure it will just be a "Sport" rather than an "E Sport" as that doesn't exist.

"Tax" (VED) shouldn't come into your decision unless it's one of the really excessive bands L or M (£565/£580), equally differences in fuel economy aren't hugely important unless you are doing 20000 miles a year, or looking at things like performance cars or big SUV type vehicles.

No disrespect but it doesn't sound like you are much of a "car person", so personally I think a better recommendation would be something like a Ford Focus, or a Honda Civic.

Soldato
For that money, you're better looking at something Japanese if you want something reliable, or the likes of Ford which will be cheaper to fix. Petrol and manual is preferred, too. Most things for £2,100 are always going to need bits doing, but hopefully you can avoid the most expensive items.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The A3 won’t set your world on fire but it’s a solid car with a well-built interior full of high-quality plastics.
2011 will be a facelift and the 2.0TDI is a reliable lump. 1.6 is slower than a Nissan Serena D.

Soldato
The A3 won’t set your world on fire but it’s a solid car with a well-built interior full of high-quality plastics.
2011 will be a facelift and the 2.0TDI is a reliable lump. 1.6 is slower than a Nissan Serena D.
I think the TDI-e I referred to above was only ever a 1.9TDI engine, so if 2011 cars were only offered with 1.6TDI or 2.0TDI then it's probably not one of those (unless a late registration?)

In which case @Armageus correctly points out, there's no 'E Sport' - it'll just be a Sport. Or maybe a Sportback SE?

Soldato
It's probably a TDIe Sport then.

Rather than being the 'last hurrah' of the 1.9TDI, it's the 1.9TDI limping to the end of it's useful life before the 1.6/2.0TDI completely took over, presented in an economy focused tune with about 100bhp. I think engine wise, it was pretty much the bottom of the range available in 2009. As a 1.9TDI it'll probably survive a nuclear apocalypse in terms of the engine - it'll be the rest of the car that won't - don't expect a 10 year old Audi A3 to be the height of reliable motoring.

Soldato
OP
My 1.4 2001 Focus CL has survived 100,00 miles but it's getting ready to explode I feel lol. Engine and gearbox - no issues, gearbox tight as anything because I never force it into gears.

However.. Drivers electric window motor broke, passenger central locking broke, cigarette lighter broke, rear wash wipe broke, passenger door rusted to hell and will probably fail, bottom arm will fail MOT, and it still does 42mpg and costs £200 a year in tax. Not much to some of you but I'd prefer an economical car with low tax as I'm a low earner. I'm amazed I've managed this long TBH. However, as a 40th gift girlfriend has said she'll buy me a car. I don't want her to but she insists and has sent me links for cars worth £5k etc. I don't want her spending that money in current climate but I'll budget up to £3k.
The reason this car appeals is it's off a good mate who won't screw me over and if it breaks will do a deal etc.
The other thing that appeals is Audi are decent quality and the 1.9 TDI is supposedly a good un, although clattery and slow. I've been driving around in a 1.4 focus so speed isn't about issue lol.

Man of Honour
Over two grand, is that really a decent price for a car that wasn't even built in the last decade never mind the current one with 104bhp? You could get a 138hbp (2l) model for similar money.

Caporegime
£2100 and off a mate whose been looking out for a car for me if he gets one come in that's suitable. He's a brilliant mechanic on cars, trucks, recovery etc and I trust him if he says it's decent. Obviously I'm going to look at it and he reckons these engines are good for £250k if looked after and serviced.

He's been looking out for a car with cheap tax and decent economy with reasonable running costs that's reliable.

It's a 10 year old modern diesel.

Yeah it can do 350k miles if looked after within the first 10 years of ownership.

Not if you buy it at 10 years old already.

For your budget you want an old petrol civic or corolla something from that side of the world.

Nissan, Toyota, honda, etc. Petrol is a must

Back
Top Bottom