BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
Cool. Shame I can't sign up though, the site looks broken at the register user part. I'll call them tomorrow.

Or any other ISP's that offer a static IP address and both FTTC and FTTP?

Don't even ask why I need static, I just do.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've managed to sign up with Zen now after ringing them up, there was an issue with my email as I've had services with them before. Now that the order has gone through I'm no longer in a password reset loop and I can log in.

Soldato
How come? I thought Zen was supposed to be the best rated for customer service.

If you search my username you will see just how they treated me with a faulty ONT box and the attitude towards me and it.
I terminated my contract due to them not fixing my issue and poor communication on several calls I made to them as they never responded to me when they said they would.

End result was new provider fixed and replaced the Faulty ONT box and ive had no more issues since.

Most of it is in this thread.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/zen-internet-feedback-please.18893745/

Man of Honour
ISP's can all be as bad as each other, there's no winning formula unless you pay rates associated with leased lines and business level support. I'm choosing Zen as I require a static IP address, there aren't many that offer this for FTTP.

Man of Honour
Same. I'd have more than happily stayed with Plusnet however I've read some truly shocking billing situations on their forums. I've been with them for 3 or 4 years and never really had an issue. Zen is expensive for sure, but I do get paid an extra $25 a month to cover partial internet costs so that helps.

Soldato
Hi all

I’m moving to a new property on the 19th which has access to FTTP via BT and the other usual candidates.

Im currently with EE for mobile, so I get a 10% discount by ordering with them.

My question is, would you recommend anyone over EE?

Is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
I’d say just order what ever is cheapest for you with the exception of avoiding Vodafone.

The product is so similar at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter. It’s only if there is any ‘added value’ which you particularly want e.g. BT sport bundle or static IP etc.

Check cash back sites, you may get a better deal elsewhere.

Man of Honour
If I didn't need a static IP I would have chosen EE (I'm also a mobile customer with them). They also do an Apple TV deal which may be of interest to you.

Caporegime
I’d say just order what ever is cheapest for you with the exception of avoiding Vodafone.

The product is so similar at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter. It’s only if there is any ‘added value’ which you particularly want e.g. BT sport bundle or static IP etc.

I think the bundled router also matters, unless you're planning on replacing it right away. Zen probably supply the best, BT and EE give you a decent box, the Sky and TalkTalk ones are alright but a lower tier, Plusnet are still giving you a device based on the Home Hub 5 which launched eight years ago.

Soldato
Can I sell the Fritzbox Zen send me? Or am I better off putting it in a drawer 'just in case'? I use a USG and a Unifi AP.

I've not had FritzBox's from Zen recently. They've been supplying PowerColor routers. You don't need it. Just be aware that you need to put your new PPPoE details into the CONTROLLER on your Unifi system and then wait a bit for it to talk to Zen. Don't put the PPPoE details into the USG as the Controller just over-writes them. And don't mess about with it when it doesn't sync immediately. It's just a USG thing. Go away and make a cup of tea. And maybe a 3-course meal. And sleep on the whole thing. It will sync eventually...

Having built up your expectations now it will probably do it immediately :)

Man of Honour
I've not had FritzBox's from Zen recently. They've been supplying PowerColor routers. You don't need it. Just be aware that you need to put your new PPPoE details into the CONTROLLER on your Unifi system and then wait a bit for it to talk to Zen. Don't put the PPPoE details into the USG as the Controller just over-writes them. And don't mess about with it when it doesn't sync immediately. It's just a USG thing. Go away and make a cup of tea. And maybe a 3-course meal. And sleep on the whole thing. It will sync eventually...

Having built up your expectations now it will probably do it immediately :)
Yeah I had assumed it's in the same place as my current Plusnet details are?

The lady on the phone said it's a Frizbox 7530. It doesn't matter anyway, it looks like it's difficult to use as modem only so I'll just keep it incase my USG and/or AP develop a fault. By the way, what's the USG Pro like on 900 Mbps FTTP?

Soldato

I've got one site with Vodafone. It's a business contract and it's been in place for about 5 years. We've never had a moment's trouble with it. It's FTTC line only and it started out at £22+VAT per month and it's currently £24+VAT/month for 18 months with the first 6 months being free when we renewed. So, over the whole 24 months it's £18+VAT per month. And that's for 76/18Mbps and a fixed IP address. Everything else we have is Zen or Virgin Business. Virgin would be my last choice and if they were not the only choice in big parts of Greater Manchester I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. Last summer I got BT 900/110 FTTP at home and that's also been great, but no fixed IP address. Which hasn't been as big an issue as I thought it might have been.

So for every customer with a hellish tale of bad service and bad performance there is usually someone who likes the supplier you don't want.

Back
Top Bottom